Urgent Going to New Mexico
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urgent Going to New Mexico

1. Urgent Going to New Mexico

I am flying into New Mexico this Sunday. I'm checking from site to site online AND using my conceal/carry iPhone apps. I keep getting different answers on whether or not my Minnesota Permit OR my Utah Permit are valid there??! Does anyone know FOR SURE WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that one of my 2 permits will be valid there? Please help!!!!!!

New Mexico honors:
    AK, AR, AZ, CO, DE, FL, KS, KY, MI, MO, MT, NC, ND, NE, OH, OK, SC, TN, TX, VA, WI, WY

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Neither Minnesota nor Utah are honored.

Take your gun. Open carry outside your vehicle. Open or conceal carry inside your vehicle. Both are legal there with no permit required.

OpenCarry.org - State Information For New Mexico

and

http://www.nm-ccw.com/faq.htm
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

4. That's somewhat informative, but if my permit isn't valid, am I going to be hassled at the NM airport?? Especially when declaring it when flying back to MN?

Quote Originally Posted by rotjovi View Post
    That's somewhat informative, but if my permit isn't valid, am I going to be hassled at the NM airport?? Especially when declaring it when flying back to MN?
    No hassle at all. A CCW permit has nothing to do with checking in a gun at the airport. In states like New Mexico, all the CCW permit does is give you the added option to carry a loaded gun concealed on your person, if you choose to conceal it.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Beware of any "establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages," whether for on or off-premises consumption, as carrying in "any premises licensed by the regulation and licensing department for the dispensing of alcoholic beverages" is a felony. There are exceptions for CHL holders who carry a concealed handgun in "a licensed establishment that does not sell alcoholic beverages for consumption on the premises" or in "a restaurant licensed to sell only beer and wine that derives no less than sixty percent of its annual gross receipts from the sale of food for consumption on the premises." However, with or without a CHL valid in New Mexico, N.M. Stat. 30-7-3 creates a huge legal minefield--especially for visitors to New Mexico who are unfamiliar with this rather unique law.
    James M. "Jim" Mullins, Jr., Esq.
    Attorney, The Law Offices of James M. Mullins, Jr., PLLC
    Founder and Past President, West Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    No hassle at all. A CCW permit has nothing to do with checking in a gun at the airport. In states like New Mexico, all the CCW permit does is give you the added option to carry a loaded gun concealed on your person, if you choose to conceal it.
    And, you may find additional benefits to flying with a handgun. You have to check the bag anyway, so put other valuables inside the locked case and TSA cannot open your bag once it has been checked.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

Quote Originally Posted by weekendskp View Post
    And, you may find additional benefits to flying with a handgun. You have to check the bag anyway, so put other valuables inside the locked case and TSA cannot open your bag once it has been checked.
    It is illegal for TSA to open the locked and hard sided gun case that the gun is in. They certainly can, and probably will open a suitcase containing the locked gun case.

Regular non-TSA lock goes on the gun case, that only the owner of the gun retains the key/combo to. The suitcase containing the gun case can be locked with a TSA lock, if desired. If the outer suitcase is locked with a non-TSA lock, there is high probability it will be cut off by the TSA.

Also, even if carrying a gun with a recognized out of state permit, it would still be against Federal law to carry the gun within 1000' of school premises. Only permits issued by the state the school zone is located in are exempted from the statute.

Also without a permit, you cannot open carry into a supermarket or convenience store that sells hard liquor including Walmart. You could conceal carry if you had a valid permit into an establishment that sells liquor not for consumption on the premises but unfortunately that is not your case. It would be nice but I have no hope that HR 822 is going to pass with this Senate and President.

Overall though New Mexico is in general friendly to open carry. Even with a CCW, I like to open carry sometimes and don't get much hassle. Just don't open carry around liquor and schools.

I feel your pain too. I will be heading to Oregon and will be in the same position. They have open carry too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast