Please write your Congressman NOW!!! HR 822 to be voted on - example e-mail - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Please write your Congressman NOW!!! HR 822 to be voted on - example e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkbeater View Post
    No I am not. I am talking about the Tenth Amendment. You clearly do not know what you are talking about. As a matter of fact, I am talking about the Ninth Amendment, too.
    The Tenth Amendment reserves powers not delegated to the federal government to the states.

The Fourteenth Amendment, protects the states from infringing upon the imunities and privledges of citizen's as well as due process. "Incorparation" as it is called. Prior to the adoption of the Fourteeth Amendment, the first nine amendments only restricted what the federal government could do, not the states.

Our right to bear arms is not a privilege or an immunity...it is a right. So, once again, how exactly does the Fourteenth Amendment apply to not infringing on our right to bear arms...it doesn't. I'm asking you to please read the Ninth Amendment again.
    What the Tenth Amendment is saying, is that any state can come up with their own rights, as long as those rights don't violate this country's first nine. The Tenth Amendment does restrict the states.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkbeater View Post
    What the Tenth Amendment is saying, is that any state can come up with their own rights, as long as those rights don't violate this country's first nine. The Tenth Amendment does restrict the states.
    No, the states, cannot come up with rights, states do not have rights, government at any level has "powers". The tenth amendment states that, "The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Basically this means that the federal government is limitted to its powers delegated by the consitution. The states may assume any reserved powers not delegated to the federal government through the constitution.

It's clearly obvious that you are confused about several matters of constitutional law.

You're right about "powers." I said "rights", but I meant "powers." The key words, though, "powers not delegated." In modern terms, that is saying that anything previously guaranteed is not left up to the states. That part of the Tenth Amendment is a restriction on the states.
    Yes, states don't have rights, but they can come up with their own. If California wants to make a right that one can smoke pot, then they have the power to do that because nowhere in our country's constitution does it restrict it. Why do you think that prohibition failed? Because Congress realized that alcohol laws should be left up to the states. That's the reason that the ATF is a giant failure. In Arkansas, you have the right to hunt. People have fought against this for years, but it has always been upheld in court because that is a power not delagated in the Constitution.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123