Robbery Scenario - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Robbery Scenario

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Forgive me. I'm one of the uneducated when it comes to the acronyms used. What is OODA?
    Observe - Orient - Decide - Act

The Wikipedia link gives a good general overview. There are some good books on the subject available through Amazon.

Here's an example. A friend of mine was accosted by two guys, who were unarmed, demanding his money and car keys at Wally World. He looked at them kind of crazy and started rapidly asking if they knew where he could get a good used car. In the middle of the nervous ranting he abruptly folded back the knee of the closer perp (nice little Krav Maga move). When the punk fell he advanced on the other guy and said "you and me baby." Perp-2 ran, leaving his friend. Police called, perp-1 arrested.

Prior to advancing on their victim the perps had observed him, oriented based on the information, made a decision on a course of action and began to act. The victim's response interrupted the act phase requiring the perps to re-orient based on new data. While they were trying to figure out what this nutjob victim was ranting about they became vulnerable for that split second for him to turn the encounter.

Other examples include a rape victim who urinates or defacates herself as the perp is starting to act or a robbery victim feigning a heart attack and then attacking during the perp's period of indecision (works well when using improvised weapons). Breaking the loop provides a window of opportunity.

The tactic is also employed in strategic business relationships. I regularly employed this while negotiating agreements as a method of requiring the opposite party to keep rethinking and re-orienting. In business it raises the disruption index and slows the other party's ability to arrive at the best decision while you focus on your ultimate goal.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Thanks BC1 and G50AE. I'll do some more read up on the subject.
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by walt629 View Post
    Thanks BC1 and G50AE. I'll do some more read up on the subject.
    BC1 did a more in depth discusion of the topic. I just gave you the Reader Digest Version, well Wikipedia actually.

Understanding & consciously using OODA will also help build SA; and help prevent a GG being chosen as a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Understanding & consciously using OODA will also help build SA; and help prevent a GG being chosen as a victim.
    You just did that so you can imagine poor Walt sitting there scratching his chin....again, right? ;)

KK

Tuts40, as stated if BG has drop my response would be based on observation and then action if possible. Texas is a cocealed carry state and as such during summer open shirt over t-shirt, if wearing sport coat no need to use two hands in either case, but agree options are few if BG has drop on you in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    Tuts40, as stated if BG has drop my response would be based on observation and then action if possible. Texas is a cocealed carry state and as such during summer open shirt over t-shirt, if wearing sport coat no need to use two hands in either case, but agree options are few if BG has drop on you in the first place.
    Yes, it's very hard to beat a drawn gun.

One example of breaking the loop on a drawn gun was noted in a recent publication which I can't find. The GG looked past the perp and widened his eyes in alarm. The perp couldn't resist looking behind him for what might be coming. In that instant the GG stepped once to the right, drew and fired. Game was over.

That's a real ballsy move on part of the GG (kids, do not try this at home ;-)
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Good post BC
    It goes to show; although you have a gun in your face, understanding OODA can help you "create" an opportunity for a defensive counter-action.

They way I look at things is; if you haven't been taken out already by a BG, you still have options. (Even though you may have to create them yourself.)

-

Like a few have mentioned, I don't know how I would react. What's my evaluation of the demeanor of the BG? How much ambient light? While appearing to reach for my wallet in my left rear pocket and present a 1911 instead, will HIS reaction time be slowed by drugs / alcohol when he / she recognizes the deception? Just don't know and don't want to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    You just did that so you can imagine poor Walt sitting there scratching his chin....again, right? ;)

KK
    Thanks for the defense KK but I actually got all of that one! :-D
    To not stand against injustice is to stand for it.
    Don't confuse my personality and my attitude.
    My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast