What bullet do you use ? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What bullet do you use ?

what is frangable ammo?

Could someone explain what frangable is? I am relatively new to ccw, I know I want ammo that will stop BG without going clear through them and possibly hurting someone else, and I use Hornady critical defense in all three of my guns. I don't know what frangable is. Who makes it?

Hornady Critical Defense or Zombie Max which seems a little less power than the HCD---impressive expansion on both
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

I see a lot of worry on what many believe to be excessive penetration and reliance on ammunition which by its very design gives limited penetration that may well not reach the vital organs of your antagonist. A bullet that gives inadequate penetration will most likely fail to stop said assailant with possible dire consequences to ones self.

Most folk tend to think about ammunition based on their experiences from shooting on a square range. The target is always facing you at 90 degree at eye level with nothing between you. Now if that's how self defense shooting worked in the real world ammunition like the Glaser safety slug and Hornady's critical defense would be fine choices as they'd only have 3-4 inches of clothing, muscles and cartilage to penetrate in order to reach the vital organs.

However in the real world the guy in the leather jacket pointing his gun at you with his out stretched arm presents several more inches of clothing, muscle and bone that the bullet may have to penetrate to reach those vital organs. (In real world gun fights the extended hands and arms are often struck by bullets intended for the torso) And if your antagonist is a foot taller than you? You're now having to angle the path of your bullet at a steeper path through his body which increases the amount of penetration required of the bullet to reach the vital organs. Will the ammunition you've chosen have enough umph to get to where it needs to go?

There is a reason that Law Enforcement has established standards for duty ammunition, to surmise that as a citizen your ammunition is some how less likely to face the same ballistic challenges in a self defense shooting as a Law Enforcement Officer is in my opinion a flawed and potentially lethal conclusion.

There are many fine self defense ammunition choices on the market out there but don't buy the sales pitch research the ammo and learn some about terminal ballistics before making your choices. Just my .02

"It's easier to avoid conflict than it is to survive it" - SGB

Quote Originally Posted by Barbiegun View Post
    Could someone explain what frangable is? I am relatively new to ccw, I know I want ammo that will stop BG without going clear through them and possibly hurting someone else, and I use Hornady critical defense in all three of my guns. I don't know what frangable is. Who makes it?
    I wouldn't worry about frangible rounds for self defense especially in winter months where people wear layered clothing. Frangible rounds fragment into little pieces on impact. Stick with the HCD or others like Remington Golden Sabers, Speer Gold Dots or Double Tap etc
    "Those who would trade liberty for security, deserves neither liberty nor security."
    "The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson".

.40 HST in my M&P, hydra shoks in my. 38 because I haven't found any non+p for it around here other than that, and gold dots in the Seecamp because that's what it likes.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbiegun View Post
    Frangible ammo is made of ground-up metal that's been compressed into bullets. It's designed to break apart when it strikes something. They're often called "safety slugs" because they won't overpenetrate and strike someone or something that's not a target. The police use it sometimes if they're going into a hot area like a house or apartment building where bystanders may be present....the frangible bullets won't go blasting through walls, killing people on the other side. It's not a very good choice for self-defense due to its lack of penetrating power. I would only use it in my house if I had kids in other rooms or something like that....a situation where I'd be worried about hurting someone with a miss that goes through a wall (which the frange won't do).
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Federal and Hornady JHP rounds with a FMJ every 3rd round.

I like Critical Defense (and the Corbon equivalent, PowR'Ball) because in the many tests I've seen it's not always the best performing ammo but more importantly, it's never the worst. It's very consistent under all conditions. Hornaday's new version, "Critical Duty", was the only ammo to meet or exceed FBI standards in all their tests. Gotta get me some of that!
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Hornady Critical Defense in my S&W M&P 9
    Sic vis pacem, para bellum

11. +1 on the COR-BON DPX in my G23.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast