Have you contacted your Congressman...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have you contacted your Congressman...

Have you contacted your Congressman...

... to let him know you'd like to him/her to SUPPORT H.R. 822 (The National Right to Carry Reciprocity Bill)??

This critical bill is scheduled for vote tomorrow.
    When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

I'm not sure I want the federal government to have there noses in this. I worry it will have uncle sam intruding on my life more. I think it might be to good to be true

Sent a letter and CC'd the NRA this morning.

I've been emailing my congressman nonstop. But he's a liberal bedwetter, so I'm not holding my breath for his vote.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

I also wrote via NRA's email system...

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee

http://www.nationalgunrights.org

Let me start with an apology for a very long post, but here is some information that may affect your thoughts on HR 822... Below is a copy of an email that I received from Dudley Brown of Nationional Gun Rights.org, http://www.nationalgunrights.org

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Gary,

I’m worried.

H.R. 822 is scheduled to receive a floor vote on Tuesday, November 15, just a few days from now.

As you know, I’ve been vocal about my opposition to H.R. 822. I’m worried it will open the door to MASSIVE federal overreach and intrusion into the concealed weapons permit process.

The LAST people we want involved in setting concealed weapons policy are the federal government.

In fact, one of my biggest concerns about concealed carry permits -- the lists of gun owners a permit process creates -- should send shivers down your spine: Imagine Eric Holder and the BATFE with a national database of concealed carry permit holders.

It’s bad enough to have those lists exist at a state level. Once Eric Holder and his cronies find a way to request that list from a state, they’ll do it -- all the in the name of “implementing H.R. 822.”

That possibility is enough to make any red-blooded American want to shelf H.R. 822.

However, there is a lot of momentum and misinformation surrounding this bill and I’m worried that we may not be able to stop it.

You see, a lot of normally pro-gun Representatives, despite their opposition to federal overreach, are being pushed -- or worse, deceived -- by the institutional gun lobby into supporting H.R. 822.

That’s why it’s imperative that you take action, right now.

Please call Rep. Stephen Fincher at (202) 225-4714. Tell them to vote “NO” on H.R. 822, that you want them to keep the government’s hands off your permit and that you oppose federal intrusion into the concealed weapons permit process.

I know many of you are frustrated that you can carry in some states but not others -- I’m frustrated, too.

I carry concealed every day, everywhere I go, and have worked to expand the ability of citizens to carry in dozens of states.

I believe I should be able to carry concealed -- without a permit -- in all 50 states. That’s what “bear arms” means. Believe me, that’s a long-term policy goal for the National Association for Gun Rights.

But mark my words, H.R. 822, the National CCW Registration Act, will become nothing more than a Trojan Horse for even more federal gun control. A Republican amendment to the bill requires it be brought up for “review” again in one year!

We’ve already seen in committee that even Republicans are willing to amend the bill to eliminate provisions protecting states’ rights and create a “study” to confront the “problem” of firearm sales over the internet.

That was in the Republican-led House; you can only imagine what Harry Reid and the Obamacrats in the Senate will tack on to this bill.

Unfortunately, the institutional gun lobby is eager to invite the fox into the hen house by forcing H.R. 822 through the House next week. Your member of Congress needs to hear from you, right away.

I understand that many who support this bill sincerely just want their right to carry respected -- but cannot due to the fact that their state won’t do the right thing.

But the devil is truly in the details... and the details are where H.R. 822 gets sticky.

This bill isn’t just about the right to carry for self-defense -- it’s a battle over the role of government and the ability to restrict our Second Amendment rights.

Once gun owners let the Obamacrats start mandating whether states recognize permit reciprocity, they will want to mandate what it takes to get and keep those permits.

We’re talking about:
    More onerous standards to acquire a permit so that only FBI agents can pass muster (look at New York’s permit system);
    Higher fees;
    More training requirements;
    A demonstration of “Need” for a permit;
    More frequent renewal periods;
    Federally-mandated waiting periods;
    A national database of all permit holders, accessible by Attorney General Eric Holder;
    An extensive, federally-created list of Criminal Safezones, where only criminals will carry and where law-abiding gun owners are vulnerable;
    The list of potential problems is endless.
    I need you to call Rep. Stephen Fincher at (202) 225-4714 and make clear that you want to keep the government’s hands off your permit and that you oppose federal intrusion into the concealed weapons permit process.

I haven’t even mentioned that this legislation would shred the Constitutional Carry provisions that are on the books in Arizona, Alaska, Vermont and Wyoming.

It doesn’t stop with just concealed carry. They’ll co-opt the bill to expand the national Brady Registration Check system to block military veterans with PTSD (a bill supported by the institutional gun lobby) or individuals with misdemeanor convictions from even OWNING firearms -- much less use them for self-defense.

I don’t believe the intentions of the bill sponsors are intrinsically bad -- they’re just naive and misguided.

Many statists in Washington will co-opt H.R. 822 as part of their grab for more federal power and less individual liberty.

Even now, the statists in Congress are trying to adopt a National ID card, complete with biometric data that they’ve forced the states to conform to their mandated drivers license “standards.” The National Association for Gun Rights has been part of a group of liberty-minded organizations which have passed state legislation forbidding cooperation with a National ID card.

Please call Rep. Stephen Fincher at (202) 225-4714 and tell them to vote “NO” on H.R. 822 and keep the government’s hands off your permit. Tell them you oppose federal intrusion into the concealed weapons permit process.

Thank you for joining me in this battle.

For Freedom,

Dudley Brown
    Executive Director

P.S. H.R. 822 is scheduled to receive a floor vote on Tuesday, November 15, just a few days from now.

I’m worried it will open the door to MASSIVE federal overreach and intrusion into the concealed weapons permit process. The LAST people we want involved in setting concealed weapons policy are the federal government.
    Last edited by WB9IIE; 11-14-2011 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Additional information
    Let's hear it for Gun Free Zones... Public places where the criminal has a monopoly
    on self defense. - Gary Nelson 2012

Quote Originally Posted by WB9IIE View Post
    Let me start with an apology for a very long post, but here is some information that may affect your thoughts on HR 822... Below is a copy of an email that I received from Dudley Brown of Nationional Gun Rights.org, http://www.nationalgunrights.org

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Gary,

I’m worried.

H.R. 822 is scheduled to receive a floor vote on Tuesday, November 15, just a few days from now.

But mark my words, H.R. 822, the National CCW Registration Act, will become nothing more than a Trojan Horse for even more federal gun control. A Republican amendment to the bill requires it be brought up for “review” again in one year!
    H.R. 822 does none of those things. The above is a fictitious post by an obvious gun control proponent. Read the full text of the bill, and decide for yourself. H.R. 822 is NOT the "national CCW registration act" as listed above. "Nationalgunrights.org" obviously has a hidden agenda.
    "The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms'. If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'." -- Ken Konecki on Usenet, on 27 Jul 1992

9. Get it passed then fine tune. Start thinking outside the box

I have read and reread 822 and it does NOT set up any gun registration or give the FEDERAL government any list of CCW holders in any state. The long post was well meaning and I mean no offence, but it contains many 'what ifs?' and not much concrete evidence. If the FEDERAL justice department want a list or make a new law they dont need 822 to do that. What is revealing is the orginazations that oppose it. It is a veritable list of gun-control fanatics all over the country. There is so much mis-information being spread to stop 822 I cant help but believe that in many, NOT ALL instances some pro-gun people are being duped by the gun-control crowd to oppose 822. Rather than critize the proposed law read it for yourself and see if it allows all of those horrible things claimed. My Congress-woman supports it. Oh I am not a member of the NRA or other gun-rights group. I can read it (822)for myself. Its a good bill and a step in the right direction.

Even with this bill you cannot carry in a federal school zone in any state you do not hold a license unless they tweek it and no sure senate will pass it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast