Cross dominance - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cross dominance

1. Quote Originally Posted by jsfdog View Post
    My wife is right handed but is slightly more left eye dominant. I believe this is what is causing her shot placement to be off center everytime we practice. Is there a technique or training tactic that she can try to compensate for the cross dominance or is it as simple as tilting her head and focusing the dominant eye on the front site? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    What stance is she using? A Weaver of some sort is my bet. If she changes to the Isosceles, you can merely shift the gun slightly to the left to align it with the dominant eye. It is also a better stance for recoil control.

Just shoot with both eyes open....

I'm an instructor and I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I just squint my left eye a little bit, I don't completely close it, and my right eye focuses on the sights. That may help.

Quote Originally Posted by jsfdog View Post
    My wife is right handed but is slightly more left eye dominant. I believe this is what is causing her shot placement to be off center everytime we practice. Is there a technique or training tactic that she can try to compensate for the cross dominance or is it as simple as tilting her head and focusing the dominant eye on the front site? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Tilting the head won't do anything, easiest way is to close the eye that's off a little. Just make sure she closes the one BEFORE she takes aim. Also if she takes aim then bring the gun into sight, the eye dominance usually wont affect the shot. Aiming with the gun, then sighting in, is where it will through you off. As far as shooting with the other hand, it's always good to be able to do both, but not a good fix.

I Shoot RT, LT eye dominant.

Quote Originally Posted by mattbrooks76 View Post
    I'm an instructor and I'm right handed, left eye dominant. I just squint my left eye a little bit, I don't completely close it, and my right eye focuses on the sights. That may help.
    I'm Left-Left and can shoot nearly as well Right-Right. Either way, I use the "semi-squint" technique when shooting. Seems to work for me.

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

7. I'm a left eye dominant, also. No problems shooting with both eyes open. But, however, when I fire my rifles I have to close my left eye and use the right. It takes more mental training than anything, I think.

I have the same problem as your wife and it has always taken me a second or two longer to acquire a good sight picture. I was watching Personal Defense tv last week and an instructor suggested an isosceles stance but role the gun or cant it over to the left eye. I have not used this alignment technique at the range but have tried it during draw and dry fire exercise and it seems to work well.

9. I'm left handed and right eye dominant. I shoot everything right handed. It is comfortable to me. I shoot just fine left-left also. I didn't train myself to shoot off hand I just did it naturally. My son is cross dominant as well but he is right H left E. When he first started shooting his bb gun he shot all over the place. He was laying his head all the way over to use his left eye. I told him to try to shoot left handed. He said I felt a little weird but he was hitting darn near bull's-eye everytime. Now he is comfortable shooting left handed. So in some cases trying to contort into an unnatural position can make it worse. p.s. he can just about out shoot me with his bb gun and he is 8 :-)

I'm ambi right eye dominant. It's never been a problem. In fact, I'm a little more accurate from the left and a little faster from the right. It just takes practice to learn the correct cross hand sight picture.

I'm L eye R hand, and I shoot a weaver stance with my head cocked a little to the right. Haven't tried L hand shooting much but now I think I will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast