Denny's "no guns allowed" signs seem to be working. - Page 12
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 125

Thread: Denny's "no guns allowed" signs seem to be working.

  1. #111
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    Then what we say when we carry "because we have a right to" does not hold true for their right to post signs precluding you (and I) from "sullying" their precious business domain, because "they have a right to"?

    They post the signs in accordance with Law out of pure exercise of their rights to do so. They need no more "reason" than that. It's a personal thing and, most assuredly, has everything to do with "rights".

    GG
    Your assuming I carry a gun because I have a right to do so. Well I also have a right to protest but I never protest, so my right to carry is not why I do carry. I have the right to open carry also but I dont. I carry because of safety and I like my handgun and want it with me. My guns are very precious to me!
    There is reasoning beyond the simple fact that businesses have rights to have no-gun signs, just like the government has the right to put stop signs on whatever roads they want, but they dont put them everywhere. A business has reasons for their signs, whether it be trying to reduce customer intervention as nogods indicated, or whether it be simple anti-gun opinions. Again, Costco has the right to ban guns on its premises, but they only ban open carrying and they only do so because customers complained about seeing guns in the store. It wasnt about Costco not liking guns.

    Im not defending anti-gun businesses, I try to avoid them. However, I originally stated that I thought nogods brought up a good point as to why businesses may use these signs other than the automatic assumption that they just dont like guns.

  2.   
  3. #112
    Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    Your assuming I carry a gun because I have a right to do so. Well I also have a right to protest but I never protest, so my right to carry is not why I do carry. I have the right to open carry also but I dont. I carry because of safety and I like my handgun and want it with me. My guns are very precious to me!
    I assume that you carry a gun because the Bill of Rights ALLOWS you to! That is the predeterminent. All else follows. (Unless you contend that you would carry even if the "right" to carry were non-existant. Which would make you a NON Law Abiding Citizen.)

    Your other examples of "I have a right, but I don't chose to exercise them" is exactly the point of all this. We have the right. THAT is paramount! All else follows from that. THEN we can consider other reasons to carry or not to carry.

    ... and exactly why I tend to get testy with those who do exercise their rights under the second and believe that they have a duty to "convert" those who do NOT exercise those rights. That is interfering with their "right" as far as I am concerned.

    Conversely, I get even more testy with those who believe that my right(s) should be recinded to comply with their view of the topic and try to use the power of the Legislature/Courts/Law to do so. That's a BIG "NO! NO!" in my book.

    My "rights" are sacrosanct. So are yours. Sounds like a good case for live and let live to me.

    GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

  4. #113
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Pasco, Washington, United States
    Posts
    6,271
    This thread was great. What an adventure. From Denny's, to all over the US, from a few people to 36 people (people magically appearing), from self defense to vigilantism (though not sure where that detour came from), instructors feeling elite over military and citizens...such a diverse thread. Statistics fluttering out everywhere.

    I'm starting to see my respect level for firearms instructors closing in on my LEO respect level. I like what the other poster wrote on another forum, if I ever need to refer someone to "bend over 101" I know where to send them. I love living in Washington, I'm glad we don't have instructors here like the east coast. Some of the instructors in this thread remind me of the LEO white tiger recently had to deal with.

    What ever happened to the good guy though? Oh I guess it doesn't matter, the courts don't know what they are doing anyways, I mean they let that miles guy go for defending himself in the other thread, and that was completely wrong. *sarcasm*

    What a trip...

  5. #114
    I just reread the entire thread (to see if I got the same "experience" you seemed to have) and have concluded that it WAS interesting! Wasn't it?

    It certainly provided a lot of info on various "attitudes" of various posters. Some good, some not so good. Some "smart", some not so smart.

    From statistical records (easily found), the bottom line is that, on average, you have twice the chance of getting killed through accidental gunfire from legit gun owners than you have of properly dispatching a legit bad guy. Now I know why.

    Just sayin'.

    GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

  6. #115
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by Grognard Gunny View Post
    I just reread the entire thread (to see if I got the same "experience" you seemed to have) and have concluded that it WAS interesting! Wasn't it?

    It certainly provided a lot of info on various "attitudes" of various posters. Some good, some not so good. Some "smart", some not so smart.

    From statistical records (easily found), the bottom line is that, on average, you have twice the chance of getting killed through accidental gunfire from legit gun owners than you have of properly dispatching a legit bad guy. Now I know why.

    Just sayin'.

    GG
    You got it. This is what gives the antis more ammunition to stack up against us. They just love to talk about the "lunatic" gun owner who opened fire in a Denny's and put innocent people at risk. I would love to see someone post links to legit training resources that state that this is a shoot scenario...

  7. #116
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen
    I'm starting to see my respect level for firearms instructors closing in on my LEO respect level. I like what the other poster wrote on another forum, if I ever need to refer someone to "bend over 101" I know where to send them. I love living in Washington, I'm glad we don't have instructors here like the east coast.
    I'm glad to know you're absolutely sure that you don't have instructors in your state that think differently than you. I'm glad to know you are absolutely sure that people who live on the East coast think differently than you. I'm very glad to know that you have researched and found that instructors on the East coast are absolutely worse than those on the west coast. I'm glad to know that you are better educated on the subject than Mas Ayoob, who recommends one disengage. I'll sleep better at night now.

    Generalizations illustrate ignorance on the part of the observer. No two people are alike whether they're LEO, instructors, crackheads, doctors or janitors. A generalization is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who ever studied sociology or behavioral sciences. Remember, when one has a problem with every neighbor, it's probably not the neighbors' fault.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  8. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    Here's something I posted a while back on a similar thread. Figured I'd just quote myself instead of going through it all again...

    Probably be a lot of collateral damage and casualties but heck, it's not every day you get to die like a hero! (or get killed in the crossfire of a couple of Rambo-Jrs).

    Anyway, back to the original question.........being a typical sheep, I'd probably sit quietly and avoid eye contact as long as the perp didn't start shooting. I'd make every effort to place my hand on my pistol and have it at the ready in case of the dreaded worst-case-scenario. I guess I just don't have the balls to start a firefight in a situation where there's a high probability of bystanders being wounded or killed. Thankfully there are plenty of macho-men on this site who wouldn't hesitate to put the rest of us in a gloriously dangerous situation. Yeah, baby!!
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  9. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    SE Florida
    Posts
    1,880
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    Generalizations illustrate ignorance on the part of the observer. No two people are alike whether they're LEO, instructors, crackheads, doctors or janitors. A generalization is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who ever studied sociology or behavioral sciences. Remember, when one has a problem with every neighbor, it's probably not the neighbors' fault.
    Amen. Funny how someone who's subject to negative stereotypes (a gun owner) can be so quick to do the same to others.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by Rick246 View Post
    I don't know, have you ever heard of insurance???? Who let the sheep in here?
    Two shots to the center of mass and one to the head tend to end a "Gun Fight" but again even Law Enforcement is trained that there are times to just be the best witness in the store. Not saying that I by myself would not take the fight to the perp, but if I had my family (not that I would be caught in denny's) I think I would try to just keep the fight away from them. I feel Denny's is trying to be PC in this day and age.

  11. Denny's. Houston

    I'm sure we can all say, lost of business because I can't wear my firearm in there. Being in law enforcement, in civilian clothes during a robbery once. I did exactly what the robberies told me to do. Was I scared for my life, do you want me to say no, I'm trained for this problem. First thing I did was made sure my firearm couldn't be seen. Second as they were yelling checking out the people around me. Thinking I could drop one but out numbered and out gun the choice was made. Follow the instructions and we should get out of it alive. Think what going on around you before you say you'll play Hero. Most Heroes that don't think are dead Heroes. One another thing to look at, think about it too. One person gets shot, better one than 15 others. Think it out and that's one thing I don't see anyone saying. Just some friendly advise.

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast