Denny's "no guns allowed" signs seem to be working. - Page 9
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Denny's "no guns allowed" signs seem to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    Or perhaps someone has thought it through on an intellectual level, rather than an NRA slogan level.

Very few "armed" robberies of establishments result in violence. Even bank robberies have very few injuries even though the bad guys have to enter deep into the establishment to rob a bank.

Like most restaurants, Denny's have the cash registers near the entrances. So it is even easier for a bad guy to get in and get out with the money than in a bank.

Thus Denny's security plan, like those of most banks, is to give the bad guys the money and get them off the premises with as little risk as possible to its employees and customers.

The two most likely things that would screw up that security plan are:

1. Am employee who tries to prevent the robbery; and

2. a customer who tries to intervene in the robbery.

Denny's can train its employees to eliminate the first problem.

It can prohibit customers from carrying weapons on the premise to help reduce the probability of the second.

In essence, Denny's no gun sign says "We don't want any idiots trying to intervene in a robbery and putting our employees and customers at a much higher risk of being injured or killed. If you are that type of an idiot perhaps you should eat elsewhere."

The no guns sign isn't for the bad guys - its for the other idiots.
    You bring up a good point that I havent thought of before. I guess in the end it doesnt bother me if the business loses any money in a robbery because it aint mine. Only problem is that this logic makes a little bit too much sense to be the actual reason why many businesses have those signs. Im sure some businesses have no gun signs for this reason and Im also sure (and know) that many other businesses have them for other reasons like they dont like guns or like Costco, they dont allow guns because it "bothers" their customers.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    No such signs here in MI... must be a local thing...
    Same here. No signs. We have even had open carry get togethers in Dennys.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Being a MA native, where people can break into your house, rob you and sue you AND WIN for tripping and hurting themselves, I have to agree with this.

But outside of MA where we have rights, I agree with NavyLCDR. You can't let people die or get hurt if you can stop it from happening. Here in VA if that happened and lives where in danger and I could do something about it, I would. Because I wouldn't fear jail for being the good guy.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

UHOH! We have a RAMBO! in the house!
    And a fine example of open carry, too! Brings a tear to my eye.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

4. 9 out of 10 times the armed robbers will leave once they have what they want with nobody being injured. You just have to wonder.... is this the ninth armed robbery....or number ten?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

So glad signs hold no weight of law here in Washington.

6. Digging through the boxes in the basement, I found this old photo of snatale42 and myself....

There are always variables to consider. Things such as are there innocents in the line of fire, is your gun capable of stopping the BG, how good a shot you are, among many other variables we have the luxury of considering while posting. Those of us who have undergone more than the 'which end does the bullet come out' training realize this and plan and practice should we ever have to make the decision to shoot. But I believe there are times that as NavyLCDR put it "it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6". Or as I (and a well known movie)would put it 'sometimes you have to do unto others before they do unto you'.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    It just seems like in most instances you would be too afraid to use it.
    Maybe just demonstrating common sence. Descretion being the better part of valor.

One thing one learns in the military quickly, many "heroes" collect their accolades ex post facto. (It IS preferred to be able to collect one's retirement check, ya know.)

It's a matter of carrying for the protection of me and mine. They have people they pay good money to to worry about the rest of the society. (The REAL sheepdogs.)

Exception: If it should happen that in the act of protecting me and mine, others nearby should reap the benefits of my efforts.... all well and fine. Rest assured that it would not be the primary reason why I would act.

You need to retire for a few years, Nav. If for no other reason than to get this "White Knight" syndrome burned out of you. It can get you killed! (I thought self defense was the prime directive here?) LOL!

GG
    Fanatics of any sort are dangerous! -GG-
    Which part of "... shall NOT be infringed..." confuses you?
    Well now, aren't WE a pair, Raggedy Man? (Thunderdome)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Digging through the boxes in the basement, I found this old photo of snatale42 and myself....

To be captioned: "Spread out, ya FNGs! One grenade or bobby trap will get you both!" (DOH!)

GG

Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    You bring up a good point that I havent thought of before. I guess in the end it doesnt bother me if the business loses any money in a robbery because it aint mine. Only problem is that this logic makes a little bit too much sense to be the actual reason why many businesses have those signs. Im sure some businesses have no gun signs for this reason and Im also sure (and know) that many other businesses have them for other reasons like they dont like guns or like Costco, they dont allow guns because it "bothers" their customers.
    ... and in any case, it is perfectly within THEIR legal rights to preclude guns from private property.

Why is it that while expounding on the virtues of OUR rights, we tend to forget that others have rights also? Is it not said that your rights stop the moment when they interfere with mine?

So the bottom line for me is that I can understand others exercising their rights, even if they interfere with mine. I only tend to get REAl testy when the "others" decide to completely take my rights away in favor of their rights.

Not on my watch.

GG

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    Or as I (and a well known movie)would put it 'sometimes you have to do unto others before they do unto you'.
    Which IS, bottom line, the basis of all self defense. Precisely why we carry.

GG

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast