Can a person with a Kansas ccl marry a convicted felon? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can a person with a Kansas ccl marry a convicted felon?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I am with you on that one. The only caveat being that sometimes the courts have interpreted laws in some strange ways. If it's something not too earth shattering like "when is it OK to drive through a crosswalk with a pedestrian in it", I would say look up the law yourself and be pretty confident in what it says, and if you happen to be wrong, it's a $150 ticket.

If it's something really important that (1) has a high potential of actually being an issue and (2) carries a high consequence of being wrong; then I would say invest in a lawyer who is supposed to have access to and be able to interpret not only what the statute itself says, but what the courts have in the past said what the statute means.

It's up to each individual person to decide for themselves how much of (1) and (2) above applies to their situation.

Personally, with easy access to statutes via the internet, I see no need to ask a police officer anything about what is legal or not, including "when can you drive through a crosswalk with a pedestrian in it"...which is, in Washington, RCW 46.61.235, BTW.
    Well then it sounds like you and me must be 2 "do it yourselfers". Only difference being I will avoid lawyers as best I can.

3. NFA Gun Trust Lawyer Blog: Firearms Case Law Archives

Scroll down to:
    August 5, 2009
    Constructive Possession: NFA Trusts vs Individual Ownership

It's basically the same thing.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I've found that most people who dislike LEOs in general do so because a cop had the audacity to "falsely" arrest them for exercising their God-given right to sell drugs or beat their wife or drive drunk etc. etc.
    Gave me a good laugh buddy. This is sad but very very true.

Asking a cop that you are not really good friends with how to get around a law forbidding a felon access to a gun? My guess, for most cops, felon+gun=NO. Can you blame them? Remember, cops are human, they have certain prejudices as do we all and a felon with a gun might be a little disconcerting to some. Also, cops are not required to tell you the truth. This is not cop bashing just a statement of the law.

For something this important you should seek out an attorney (and no, I do not care for them). I my State a felon can have a long gun but not a pistol till ten years after their sentence is finished. This may seem strange but a great many people here subsist on wild game and you really do not want to put someone in jail for putting food on the table. You need to find out what is legal in your area and I suggest you get this information from someone that is being paid to be on your side and that has a legal requirement to give you their best information.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Deserteagle View Post
    I've found that most people who dislike LEOs in general do so because a cop had the audacity to "falsely" arrest them for exercising their God-given right to sell drugs or beat their wife or drive drunk etc. etc.
    Gave me a good laugh buddy. This is sad but very very true.
    And most of our 4th and 5th amendment rights that have been firmly established by the Courts have been due to criminals attempting to get out of convictions for crimes they did commit. It's too bad that our rights aren't that important to a lot of law abiding citizens.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Consult a competent attorney and take whatever advice they give you!

-Doc

Not most. Considering that this is a web site dedicated to carrying firearms and most states require some kind of background check before issueing a carry permit, and considering that most(NOT ALL) of the people who post regularly on this site have some kind of carry permit, and many of those mistrust LEO legal advice, to say that most of the people who distrust LEO advice have an arrest record is way off base. I for one have a healthy mistrust of legal advice given by LEOs. They are NOT lawyers. I have NEVER used my 'God-given rights' to beat my wife or others, sell drugs, drive drunk or ect. ect. I have never been arrested. The courts have ruled its ok for a LEO to lie. I have on several occasions been lied to by an LEO. If you or anybody on this site relys on legal advice from an LEO no matter how honest he(she) may be, and you are later charged with a crime and you say in court as your defence "officer so and so said it was legal" that will get you nowhere except a all expence paid vacation in the Sheriff's bed and breakfast. And they lock the doors.

9. Very well said, santa. I still have your hat, BTW...

I would contact the state's Attorney General and possibly the DOJ. NEVER ask a cop about the law, 90% of them don't know the law and will lie to you if they think they can get something (an arrest) out of it.

Generally speaking a convicted felon cannot reside where firearms are present. However, my uncle was a felon and he lived with my grandfather (in Indiana). I know that his probation/parole officer made at least one visit to the house and there were firearms, unsecured on a gun rack in the house. Whether the PO was doing his due diligence I can't say, but there were never any "felon in possession" charges filed against my uncle for living in a house where there were firearms. He did not "own" any of them.

At any rate; as B2Tall said: Somebody else's criminal record does not negate your rights.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Very well said, santa. I still have your hat, BTW...
    Ill be needing the hat come December 24. What do YOU want Santa to bring you for Christmas?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast