Can I legally have a (really just one) drink with dinner in MS? - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can I legally have a (really just one) drink with dinner in MS?

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I can't imagagine a shooting situation where you wouldn't be "taking a ride downtown" regardless of any questions you might , or might not, answer.
    Not always. From what I've gleaned from conversations with LEOs, unless they believe a crime was committed they'll take the shooter's statement on the scene and let him/her go. Granted that's the exception and not the rule but it does happen often enough. A while back there was a road rage shooting here that got quite a bit of local ink. One of the first-responders was a LEO that I'm acquainted with. I asked him about the incident and he called it an "open and shut" case of self defense because of corroborating witnesses. They interviewed the shooter on the scene and since everything else was legal (he had a CCW, etc.) he went on his way. Next time I see this cop I'll ask him what the procedure is for SD shootings as far as checking for sobriety and how broad the range of questioning is.

As for the rest of your post, I don't think I'd even mention the words "lawyer" or "Miranda" unless I felt as though I absolutely had to.
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

While it's certainly understandable that you want to be able to protect yourself and your family at ALL times, what you need to remember is that there is the very real possibility that if you're drinking, a blood-alcohol test can be requested and an overzealous, anti-gun prosecutor can use that to say that your judgment was impaired. Word to the wise: if you must drink, don't carry, and if you must carry, don't drink.

There are are only 2times I will not have my gun in me: at work (state of Texas and my employer have an issue with paramedics carrying firearms), and when I go out for a cold one. Alcohol and guns don't mix!

Quote Originally Posted by creatism View Post
    There are are only 2times I will not have my gun in me: at work (state of Texas and my employer have an issue with paramedics carrying firearms), and when I go out for a cold one. Alcohol and guns don't mix!
    The OP is asking what is legal in his state. He is not soliciting opinions How would you react if a cop pulled you over to express his opinion that you are driving too fast even though you are 5 miles under the posted limit?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    The OP is asking what is legal in his state. He is not soliciting opinions How would you react if a cop pulled you over to express his opinion that you are driving too fast even though you are 5 miles under the posted limit?
    So everybody else can issue an opinion but you choose Creatism, who seems to be gainfully employed, to jump on?

You really are a 'Keyboard Thug'! :):)

KK

Quote Originally Posted by Keykutter View Post
    So everybody else can issue an opinion but you choose Creatism, who seems to be gainfully employed, to jump on?

You really are a 'Keyboard Thug'! :):)

KK
    Or I was just using him as an example.

Fact is, the OP has stated that he chooses to have a beer w/ his dinner. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the subject he asked what was legal in his state. Long story short if the OP is engaged in legal behavior your opinion counts for zip.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

OK folks, no more opinions on USA Carry unless solicited.

Holy crap, this would be a boring place if that was the rule. Oh hell, there I go, that was my opinion! :):)

KK

9. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Or I was just using him as an example.

Fact is, the OP has stated that he chooses to have a beer w/ his dinner. He didn't ask for anyone's opinion on the subject he asked what was legal in his state. Long story short if the OP is engaged in legal behavior your opinion counts for zip.
    I would add at the end of that, "to the OP and NavyLCDR." on this subject.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Let me start this by saying, as I have previously, that guns and alcohol do not mix.

Having said that, I see the comparison to carrying a firearm and driving a vehicle repeatedly brought up. While there are certainly some very valid similarities for me there is one glaring difference. That difference is an old piece of paper, of actually vellum if memory serves, called the U.S. Constitution. Back in the day I spent a lot of time in bars. Though my experience may not be typical I seem to remember that the freedom of speech was in full effect. Seemingly more so as consumption

If I have a glass of wine with dinner, should I make up the guest room for the military? Please NAVY LCDR, don't take this personally but that is something I am not willing to accept.

How much alcohol do I have to consume before I give up my right to unreasonable search and seizure. No use to belabor the point, the only constitutional right that is denied us by the use of alcohol is the right to keep and bear arms. No where in the Constitution have I ever noticed a right to operate a car or even a buggy.

While I agree with the intent of some gun laws I see few, if any, of them constitutional. These laws do exist, therefore, we must deal with them till such time as we can change them.

Our rights are not without limit. If you yell "fire" in a crowded theater you will probably go to jail. If you tell your wife "that outfit makes you look fat" you won't go to jail but it would probably be safer if you did. Some of these limits are placed on us by law. Other limits we place on ourselves by common sense. The legal limits we can change. The more common sense we use the easier it will be to change the law.

As I read the law of my State I can drink a beer, drive to a restaurant (with BAL <.08), and carry into a restaurant. I can't have that same beer in a restaurant. Does this make sense? Not to me. But, as I am less comfortable with drinking and driving than I used to be, I prefer being the designated driver so it really does not affect me. This covers both the law and the limits I have placed on myself.
    NRA,
    Armed Citizens Legal Defense Fund
    http://armedcitizensnetwork.org/

11. Thanks for the welcome and great points of view. @Navy: you found the same articles I did and to me it looks like a gray area. As many pointed out, most lawyers would have a field day if you had to take care of a situation and had been drinking. It all comes down to risk mitigation and whether the reward is greater than the cost. I'll put it in the big risk, very small probability category, which for me still = no drinking when carrying.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast