CCW transfer to South Dakota
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: CCW transfer to South Dakota

  1. CCW transfer to South Dakota

    I currently have my CCW in Boulder County, Colorado. Although my mailing address is there, I actually full-time in my RV.

    With that said, South Dakota is much easier to use as a residence for full-time RV'ers so I plan to make the move there next month. My only real question is the transfer of my CCW. Do I need a physical address in SD to get a CCW or will a PO Box do the trick?

  3. #2
    Seems to me like you need a physical address to meet the requirements of SD Codified Laws:

    South Dakota Codified Laws

    23-7-7.1. Requirements for issuance of temporary permit--Time requirement--Appeal of denial. A temporary permit to carry a concealed pistol shall be issued within five days of application to a person if the applicant:
    (1) Is eighteen years of age or older;

    (2) Has never pled guilty to, nolo contendere to, or been convicted of a felony or a crime of violence;

    (3) Is not habitually in an intoxicated or drugged condition;

    (4) Has no history of violence;

    (5) Has not been found in the previous ten years to be a "danger to others" or a "danger to self" as defined in 27A-1-1 or is not currently adjudged mentally incompetent;

    (6) Has physically resided in and is a resident of the county where the application is being made for at least thirty days immediately preceding the date of the application;

    (7) Has had no violations of chapter 23-7, 22-14, or 22-42 constituting a felony or misdemeanor in the five years preceding the date of application or is not currently charged under indictment or information for such an offense;

    (8) Is a citizen or legal resident of the United States; and

    (9) Is not a fugitive from justice.

    A person denied a permit may appeal to the circuit court pursuant to chapter 1-26.
    A PO Box does not establish residency. Call the sheriff of the county you plan to reside in...I would think that if you rent a space with a physical address for a month, you could use that rental agreement as proof of residency in that county.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts