Forbidden carry in Missouri question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Forbidden carry in Missouri question

1. Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    It depends strictly on the state. In Kalifornia it is not illegal to carry in a school as long as you have a carry permit.
    WOW.. completely false
    Penal Code 626.9 PC - its California Gun Free School Zone Act which applies to all schools in California, that's 1000 feet from the school with the exception of residency, passing by, law enforcement agency, or with a written approval by the schools district superintendent.
    Penal Code 12050 - does "NOT" exempt a CCW holder from prosecution if you carry a concealed weapon in a school zone, you can be charged with a felony if you carry within 1000 feet of a school, the 1000 feet is a bit extreme but can be fought in court tho unless you willingly knew that there's a school there and you were just hanging around.
    Its an unwritten understanding tho that if you have a CCW, officers can let you off with the 1000 feet law - it mostly depends on the citing officer, he can pull out that surveyors wheel and start counting feet from your location - that would be if you got an officer having a bad day or he finds you disrespectful.

EDIT:
    i just looked it up since its been a while since i know, its actually 1500 feet now.
    http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/di...ile=626-626.11

Quote Originally Posted by caburian View Post
    WOW.. completely false
    Penal Code 626.9 PC - its California Gun Free School Zone Act which applies to all schools in California, that's 1000 feet from the school with the exception of residency, passing by, law enforcement agency, or with a written approval by the schools district superintendent.
    Penal Code 12050 - does "NOT" exempt a CCW holder from prosecution if you carry a concealed weapon in a school zone, you can be charged with a felony if you carry within 1000 feet of a school, the 1000 feet is a bit extreme but can be fought in court tho unless you willingly knew that there's a school there and you were just hanging around.
    Its an unwritten understanding tho that if you have a CCW, officers can let you off with the 1000 feet law - it mostly depends on the citing officer, he can pull out that surveyors wheel and start counting feet from your location - that would be if you got an officer having a bad day or he finds you disrespectful.

EDIT:
    i just looked it up since its been a while since i know, its actually 1500 feet now.
    CA Codes (pen:626-626.11)
    Not according to Handgunlaw.us "Note: So carry on School property is legal if you have a California Issued Permit/License to Carry. The School can keep Students, Faculty and others who work on campus from carrying and can expel them or fire them for carrying firearms but they are not breaking a law just a rule of the School." http://handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf I had copies of the law but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment but it is in keeping with what handgunlaw has posted.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by bigb360 View Post
    Well that's a violation of his first and second amendment rights. How could he be arrested for expressing disapproval of their policy?

Thanks for the responses everyone.
    He was arrested because he made them feel afraid. Not sure what he was charged with: trespass, disturbing the peace, etc., take your pick. If you are in a business and you are asked to leave and you refuse, you are committing trespass.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Not according to Handgunlaw.us "Note: So carry on School property is legal if you have a California Issued Permit/License to Carry. The School can keep Students, Faculty and others who work on campus from carrying and can expel them or fire them for carrying firearms but they are not breaking a law just a rule of the School." http://handgunlaw.us/states/california.pdf I had copies of the law but I can't lay my hands on it at the moment but it is in keeping with what handgunlaw has posted.
    And that sir is why you cannot rely on Handgunlaw.us 100% of the time. Laws change and unless someone reports the change it will not be on there. They are a great resource but even the best resources make mistakes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123