Concealed Carry .44 Mag Load. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Concealed Carry .44 Mag Load.

Quote Originally Posted by dad45acp View Post
    Why carry a round with such huge potential for over penetration?
    Because the .44 SPL rarely over penetrates. In "Magnum Force" someone asks "Dirty Harry Callihan" what he carries in his gun. The reply was "light specials, for better control." While I don't generally quote movie characters, I believe this is good advise. I sometimes carry a Charter Arms Bulldog. In it, I carry CCI Blazers with the 200 gr. "flying ashtrays"
    The .44 SPL, .45 Long Colt, and .45 ACP are generally ballistic triplets. The .45 ACP is cheaper, and the guns chambered for it are smaller, so I carry .45's, but I shoot .44 SPL's and .45LC's also. Even if you have no problem with recoil, if you tried .44 SPL and .44 Mag. side by side, you will most likely have faster and more accurate times with the specials. BTW The S&W Performance Center 3" 629's are very nice with Specials.

Gunnerbob beat me to it
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

3. I carry a 3 inch .44 Special a LOT. It is my preferred carry gun and has been for about 15 years. I use Federal 200gr Lead SWC-HP (C44SA is the Federal designation) as my carry load because the 200gr Winchester Silvertip was only doing 696fps from my gun when I did my self defense ammo testing and I wasn't sure of reliable expansion at that velocity even from the Silvertip. The Federal load is made with either pure lead or a very, very soft alloy, so I'm quite confident that it will expand.

I have the S&W 44mag...Same as the Dirty Harry special...I only carry it when in the bear country...I load with mag ammo because if I need to stop a bear, I don't want to worry about stopping power...But for regular carry I carry a Warthog 45 and baby Glock 40...The 44 is just too heavy for day to day for me...It weighs as much as both my carry and bug weapon... If you carry it in urban area you should step down to the specials like others have recommended.
    Folks ask why I carry two guns...Well if I did not I'd be off balance and walk in circles!

I live in Coconino County, AZ and well remember the Fish case. The guy was hiking alone deep into the woods. It was just him, the other guy's dogs, and the other guy running at him. A real tough situation for anyone... Myself, I would have thought that anyone else out in the deep woods was also carrying a firearm for common sense protection. Don't own anything that big myself...but sure have thought about it.... No matter what decision a person makes about a "big gun" you can bet that if its used others will come up with the opposite decision...sounds like a no win deal. Whatever size load you choose someone's gonna hold it against you.

I've carried my S&W 629 4" 44 Magnum a few times in the big city, mostly just to try out my Sourdough Pancake holster. I definitely didn't feel under powered but I knew that if something happened I had better pay extra attention to Rule 4 (be aware of your target, what's in line with your target and what's beyond your target). If I had found myself in a very crowded situation I would have went straight to my BUG.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

7. another +1 for the 44 special. There are some pretty good defensive loads made in the 44 special, if you can find them. If you were 'stuck' with having to carry 44 mag loads, I'd recommend any old jacketed soft point you can find. I would stay away from the hard cast stuff unless bears are your primary threat. I carry a 4" Taurus Tracker in 44 mag when I'm in the woods. Since bears are my primary threat, I'm carrying a max book load of H110 under a 300gr Swift A Frame. Were I to carry it concealed in town, those loads would definitely be replaced with a less energetic, factory load.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth315 View Post
    Who was arrested? When was the man arrested? Where was he arrested?
    I've heard tales of prosecutions having occured because the defensive shooter used the "wrong" amunition, hand loads (killer bullets) or "too large a gun but have yet to see any credible documentation to support that story.
    I can't say that it has never happened. I can say I have yet to see proof. I believe a "good shoot" is a "good shoot" whatever weapon and ammunition is used. I also know that one is responsible for where that sent bullet ends up after it goes through the target (assailant) and perforates an innocent bystander. In that regard perhaps weapons such as Howitzers, S&W .500 Mags, and .44 Mags bear careful consideration as a personal defense weapon in a social environment.
    Respect & Regards ---- Al
    Azmuth,
    I've read a few books recently that detailed some of these cases (not saying there are many cases, but they do exist...) First case, good guy, a wounded warrior from the Viet Nam war, pulled a 1911 in 45 after two bad guys chased him in a road rage incident. The good guy was chased by these guys off the freeway, and he made a wrong turn into a parking lot and got boxed in. Bad guys approached and threatened to beat the life out of the good guy. GG pulls 45 and the BGs decide to go their separate ways, no shots fired. Unfortunately, the BGs were the first to call the police. I love LEOs, (I think we got some good ones around here), but they are still programmed by training and experience to assume the guy with the gun is the baddie, so when the BGs called 911 and said 'some crazy guy pulled a gun on us and threatened to kill us', you can imagine how this went. The good guy was eventually found innocent, but it cost him tens of thousands. During the trial, the DA tried to develop a legal theory that the good guy was a serious baddie, because he carried such a huge firearm AND 2 spare mags; must have been looking for a fight. He even had the responding officer on the stand confirming this line of BS. The defense argued that the 1911 was what he carried in Nam, and local LEOs also carry 2 spare mags. The problem I see is that DAs are likely to build on this legal theory and keep trying it.

As for handloads, I'd recommend Massab Ayoob's book on concealed carry. He testified in the defense of a man who's wife committed suicide with his 38 special light loads. The round did not exit, so the DA charged the husband with murder under the theory was that because the bullet didn't fully exit, it couldn't have been fired by the wife, and must have been fired across the room, by the husband. The DA and the jury must have skipped physics the day it was taught in school, because this BS line worked and the guy is serving time for murder. The thought that a bullet would slow down that much in 20 feet is ridiculous, but when a Jury sees bloody pictures of a victim, they want to blame someone and the guy on trial is the only person being blamed.

This is the only case I am aware of where hand loads possibly were a factor leading to conviction, and is certainly pretty far removed from the argument that someone was carrying 'the deadliest load they could make'. Having said that, I carry factory loads, because its the best stuff for self defense is factory loaded (IMHO). I carry Winchester 45 230gr +P Rangers, Federal 40 165gr HSTs and Buffalo Barnes 80gr +P because I think they are amongst the best fight stoppers in their respective classes. The first two were also scary cheap before the ammo shortage!

However, I know more than a few people who are new to concealed carry, and with the ammo shortage as bad as it is, I wouldn't criticize someone for carrying hand loads.

9. Quote Originally Posted by warthog97 View Post
    As for handloads, I'd recommend Massab Ayoob's book on concealed carry. He testified in the defense of a man who's wife committed suicide with his 38 special light loads. The round did not exit, so the DA charged the husband with murder under the theory was that because the bullet didn't fully exit, it couldn't have been fired by the wife, and must have been fired across the room, by the husband. The DA and the jury must have skipped physics the day it was taught in school, because this BS line worked and the guy is serving time for murder. The thought that a bullet would slow down that much in 20 feet is ridiculous, but when a Jury sees bloody pictures of a victim, they want to blame someone and the guy on trial is the only person being blamed.
    Unless it is an almost identical case, this would the Daniel Bias trial. The issue was not whether or not the bullet exited. It was about the lack of gunshot residue on the victim. Ayoob said the reason for that was the lightly charged reloads, and the state had no standard to compare. If you would have done some research, you would have found that the state did do extensive testing with light loads, and still got plenty of GSR. Also the medical examiner testified that the position and trajectory of the wound made it impossible to be self-inflicted.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12