Concealed Carry .44 Mag Load.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry .44 Mag Load.

1. Concealed Carry .44 Mag Load.

Hi,
    I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson Model 29 4in Barrel (almost identical to Dirty Harry) and I am using it for my carry (yes I'm a pretty big dude). Anyways, I was wondering what type of load you guys would recommend. I shot it today for the first time and the Magnums had a kick so I was thinking of carrying with Specials in it, but I'm concerned that Specials doesn't have enough stopping power to it. Also what specific types of ammo would you recommend for defense? Thanks for your input!

Concealed Carry .44 Mag Load.

The .44 SPL critical defense have enough and quite manageable. I shoot them out of a Ruger Alaskan 2.5" with no issues
    Guns.??? What Guns???

4. I would agree with the 44 spl.

Although I don't agree with it. Realize that if you have to use that in a Self-Defense situation, it is very likely that the police/prosecutor will go after you. There is a certain risk in carrying very large and powerful handguns. In one case, a man was sent to jail for an otherwise clean shoot because he used a 10mm Glock 20. Prosecutor claimed that only someone looking for a fight would carry such a powerful gun.

Who was arrested? When was the man arrested? Where was he arrested?
    I've heard tales of prosecutions having occured because the defensive shooter used the "wrong" amunition, hand loads (killer bullets) or "too large a gun but have yet to see any credible documentation to support that story.
    I can't say that it has never happened. I can say I have yet to see proof. I believe a "good shoot" is a "good shoot" whatever weapon and ammunition is used. I also know that one is responsible for where that sent bullet ends up after it goes through the target (assailant) and perforates an innocent bystander. In that regard perhaps weapons such as Howitzers, S&W .500 Mags, and .44 Mags bear careful consideration as a personal defense weapon in a social environment.
    Respect & Regards ---- Al

Why carry a round with such huge potential for over penetration?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth315 View Post
    I've heard tales of prosecutions having occured because the defensive shooter used the "wrong" amunition, hand loads (killer bullets) or "too large a gun but have yet to see any credible documentation to support that story.
    I can't say that it has never happened. I can say I have yet to see proof. I believe a "good shoot" is a "good shoot" whatever weapon and ammunition is used. I also know that one is responsible for where that sent bullet ends up after it goes through the target (assailant) and perforates an innocent bystander. In that regard perhaps weapons such as Howitzers, S&W .500 Mags, and .44 Mags bear careful consideration as a personal defense weapon in a social environment.
    I agree as I've never heard that either. So you would recommend .44 special for carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Azimuth315 View Post
    Harold Fish Defense

Apparently he died of cancer last year. Had no idea...too bad. But check out his story. Although the caliber shouldn't have anything to do with it, his story had many flaws (unfortunately) and I saw an interview he did (Dateline maybe...it's on his site anyways) and he appeared to me as self incriminating at times and just basically said the wrong things. I don't think he was a premeditated killer but at the wrong place at the wrong time. He just didn't help himself out very well in his defense IMO. PLUS the prosecutor brought up issues on the ammo and caliber which is as anti-gun as you can get in a prosecutor. Harold Fish, retired teacher hiking with a 10mm pistol....check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by cptbryan View Post
    Hi,
    I recently purchased a Smith and Wesson Model 29 4in Barrel (almost identical to Dirty Harry) and I am using it for my carry (yes I'm a pretty big dude). Anyways, I was wondering what type of load you guys would recommend. I shot it today for the first time and the Magnums had a kick so I was thinking of carrying with Specials in it, but I'm concerned that Specials doesn't have enough stopping power to it. Also what specific types of ammo would you recommend for defense? Thanks for your input!
    Is .44 mag too much? Where do you spend most of your time? If you’re out in the country on a farm or in the woods, and/or live alone, over-penetration is not really a problem. If you’re in an urban/suburban setting, or there are others living in your house/apartment etc., then yeah, you need to think about it. Would you want to be collateral damage in someone else’s “righteous” shoot? Every conscientious armed person needs to think about their environment and the possible consequences of over-penetration or a missed shot, even in what is otherwise a totally “righteous” shoot. You want to get the bad guy, not the bad guy and little Suzie two doors down while she’s practicing the piano. You can take steps to mitigate the energy and penetration abilities of the .44 mag that will still leave you with a very capable personal defense round. Stepping down to the .44 spcl, and/or using specific bullet and load combinations, can significantly reduce the issue of over-penetration and the probability of your bullet causing significant damage and harm where you do not intend. The reduced recoil of such ammo will also almost certainly make you more accurate while under stress.
    You ask for a specific recommendation for a round that could help with this issue. I’m a little hesitant to do this (I am not advertising), but one off-the-shelf example that could fit the bill is Hornady Critical Defense in .44 spcl 180 grain HP-XTP, delivering roughly the same energy at 25 yds as most .45 ACP rounds. There are others out there. If you handload, you could put together some very nice combinations of bullet type/size and loads yielding energies that are very close to most .45 rounds at 25 to 50 yards that should solve most over-penetration issues while remaining very effective.
    As far as overzealous prosecutors going after you, they will likely go after you no matter what, and if your shoot was illegal you’ll be going to jail whether you used a .44 or .17 HMR. You should expect significant and prolonged legal issues following a “righteous” shoot. If you did not injure an innocent, or damage other’s property, that’s just one less club for the prosecuting attorney to try and beat you with.

I mostly carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .44 Special these days. I use this round to prevent over penetration. I also have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum. I carry it in the field with Platinum Tips from Winchester. If I have the .44 Mag with me and I am in town, I load it with the same ammo that I use in the .44 Special - Winchester Silvertips. On the other hand, if I am in the field with my .44 Special, I have it loaded with LSWC-GC Keith loads. Simply put, pennetration in the field, rapid expansion in town.

Quote Originally Posted by cptbryan View Post
    Hi,
    Carry Specials, they have plenty of oomph to do the job. In fact, if you listen carefully in Magnum Force, during the scene at the indoor range when Harry meets those young little vigilantly [email protected], they ask what he shoots in that thing(M29)... Harry says it's a "light special, which gives me better control and less recoil than a .357 shooting WCs". Even Harry knew the .44mag was too much for duty carry in a city like San Fran, but it was just enough to do the job.

Anyway, any of the new defense loads of Special will give you the results you want. Specials are about the same as .45acp, and people just love that. Hell, I wouldn't feel under-gunned using SWCHPs in the Special... that's a lot of lead baby. I even have some SWCHPs for my +P .38Spl carry pieces. It's an old loading, but still effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast