Mag Springs on XDs .45

Thread: Mag Springs on XDs .45

1. Mag Springs on XDs .45

What is your experience with keeping XDs .45 mags loaded for an extended period of time?

I carry chambered with a full mag, but unless I go to the range the mag is full 100% of the time.

My thinking is to rotate the mag monthly and empty the removed mag.

This is much discussed here and on every gun forum. It is the commission and release that were wears out springs. Extended compression is not harmful. Your plan would shorten the life of your springs instead of help.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

The magazine spring doesn't where down when it's static, either under pressure or relaxed. The spring wears down during action, so rotating ammo just to rotate will actually wear them down faster without you getting any better at shooting.

I will rotate my self defense ammo out for range ammo when I go shoot, otherwise I do not needlessly rotate ammo to save my mag springs.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

I use the extra mags for the range and just leave my main defense mags loaded.

I wouldn't worry about it. I keep a lot of my mags loaded for extended periods of time. I am just now replacing the springs for my 5 Sig P229 mags, which are about 10 years old, stay fully loaded at home and have been used to fire thousands and thousands of rounds at shooting schools and the range.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"