Another Example of Firearm Ignorance - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Another Example of Firearm Ignorance

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    The only real safety when handling firearms is the brain between your ears.

  2.   
  3. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare45 View Post
    The only real safety when handling firearms is the brain between your ears.
    SCOTUS backs you up!

    Mugler v. Kansas 123 U.S. 623, 659-60.
    "Our system of government, based upon the individuality and intelligence
    of the Citizen, the state does not claim to control him, except as his
    conduct to others, leaving him the sole judge as to all that only affects
    himself."
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

  4. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by lessthan0 View Post
    Here in the GREAT COMMY state of CT, you now need a license to buy a long gun now and even ammo! And I know Blah Blah about our politicians>>>>>>>>>>again I DID NOT vote for all but 2 who were against the laws passed!
    A license to buy ammo is like having to prove you have a drivers license every time you buy gas.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
    As much as I like the fact that SC is pretty lenient and still free. There is one thing that I do agree with stupid MA on, and it's requiring a firearms course to get a license. When I picked up my gun in SC no safety course was required. Just walked in picked it up and walked out (no license needed either). In MA you have to take a 4 hour basic firearms course which primarily informed us on all all the relevant for us (east coast) laws and obviously more in depth on our state laws.

    I think everyone buying a gun for the first time should have to take this course, firearms laws are convoluted to say the least, it's really beneficial if you at least have some idea what they are.
    The question is however is there any evidence that shows the "firearms" course reduces accidental shootings, crime, or violence? My bet is there is none because it accomplishes little to nothing.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Wellesley, Massachusetts
    Posts
    40
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    The question is however is there any evidence that shows the "firearms" course reduces accidental shootings, crime, or violence? My bet is there is none because it accomplishes little to nothing.
    It would stun me if there was no benefit to taking a safety course. There were many people in the MA safety course I took that had no idea how to properly use a gun, they gained significant knowledge from taking the safety course including live fire with a trained supervisor. If the safety classes were run by the state and accountable to no-one I would fully agree but they aren't so the instructors actually do a good job.

    Aside from gun safety and handling the courses cover legal issues which help inform people on where or where not they could carry guns, I for instance would have had no idea that it is illegal to carry a gun (even with legal license) into the Logan Airport parking area... A pretty stupid law, but it is a law apparently.

    EDIT:

    Oh I'm sorry, apparently I was half mistaken. In SC you are required to take a safety class to get a CCW. In MA since the only thing you can get for a pistol is an LTC (granted that can be restricted) the only difference between the two states is that you have to get a license in MA in order to get a firearm... I bet most other states are that way as well... I think it's stupid to argue against a safety class for first time gun buyers, it's easy for experienced gun owners like ourselves to overlook a safety course and think its a bother but, if you look at the newbies you're thankful it's required, unfortunately I speak mostly about the women newcomers that I've seen, most of them didn't know how to hold or shoot a firearm correctly, let alone reload it or how to deal with a jam. All those things were covered in the course. Not to mention that states like MA's laws are so convoluted that you need a course just to navigate the LTC application and appease the people in charge of deciding whether or not you get an LTC.

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Southwest Ohio
    Posts
    3,348
    Everybody here has their posting certificate, right? Because if you can't prove you've had training in responsible forum posting, you aren't allowed to exercise your right to free speech here. Posting without training can be very dangerous, and I'm sure you'll all agree that it's in our best interest to insure everyone is properly trained. If you PM me, I can arrange for you to get your certificate for a very reasonable price.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
    It would stun me if there was no benefit to taking a safety course. There were many people in the MA safety course I took that had no idea how to properly use a gun, they gained significant knowledge from taking the safety course including live fire with a trained supervisor. If the safety classes were run by the state and accountable to no-one I would fully agree but they aren't so the instructors actually do a good job.

    Aside from gun safety and handling the courses cover legal issues which help inform people on where or where not they could carry guns, I for instance would have had no idea that it is illegal to carry a gun (even with legal license) into the Logan Airport parking area... A pretty stupid law, but it is a law apparently.

    EDIT:

    Oh I'm sorry, apparently I was half mistaken. In SC you are required to take a safety class to get a CCW. In MA since the only thing you can get for a pistol is an LTC (granted that can be restricted) the only difference between the two states is that you have to get a license in MA in order to get a firearm... I bet most other states are that way as well... I think it's stupid to argue against a safety class for first time gun buyers, it's easy for experienced gun owners like ourselves to overlook a safety course and think its a bother but, if you look at the newbies you're thankful it's required, unfortunately I speak mostly about the women newcomers that I've seen, most of them didn't know how to hold or shoot a firearm correctly, let alone reload it or how to deal with a jam. All those things were covered in the course. Not to mention that states like MA's laws are so convoluted that you need a course just to navigate the LTC application and appease the people in charge of deciding whether or not you get an LTC.
    It would stun me if there was any improvement. I hear lot's of folks make the claim about training but I can't see any improvements between the places that require it and those who do not. I am not against training. I am against government fees and requirements (costing more money) on law abiding citizens wanting to exercise their Constitutionally protected rights. We have the right to self defense. Government wants to restrict or remove that right. Now if you want to put gun training, handling, shooting, and safety in the schools, I'm all for it. That would I believe help reduce the already low gun accident rate. As far as Logan Parking area, I suspect you are wrong (or it is an illegal law) since you have the right to carry a gun from one place where you can legally possess it to another place where you can legally possess it. So if you are in transit, you can have an unloaded gun in your locked suitcase.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Carolina/Charleston
    Posts
    2,388
    Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    SCOTUS backs you up!

    Mugler v. Kansas 123 U.S. 623, 659-60.
    "Our system of government, based upon the individuality and intelligence
    of the Citizen, the state does not claim to control him, except as his
    conduct to others, leaving him the sole judge as to all that only affects
    himself."
    This is a great idea and thought except when it is YOU who are affected. It is like the old adage that minor surgery is when someone else is operated on and major surgery, regardless of what it is, is when you are operated on. After several exchanges on this and other forums, I have to agree with you but some part of me is asking for some way to minimize an obvious problem--unfortunately that always leads to the word "control" and in this country, particularly these times, I do not want anyone in government, particularly the federal government, where the current asylum is being run by its inmates, controlling anything about me.

  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakeland Man View Post
    Why do people always compare their 2nd amendment rights with their 1st amendment rights when it comes to safety courses for firearms. When i exercise my 1st amendment rights, I won't talk someone to death. When I exercise my voting rights, I won't vote someone to death. But if I am untrained or irresponsible when e exercising my 2nd amendment rights, I might shoot someone to death.

    I believe in the second amendment and I believe it is an individual right. However, with rights come responsibilities.
    I'll submit to you that WORDS have caused more deaths in the history of mankind than firearms EVER will!
    “Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.” -Benjamin Franklin

  11. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,348
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanquished View Post
    As much as I like the fact that SC is pretty lenient and still free. There is one thing that I do agree with stupid MA on, and it's requiring a firearms course to get a license. When I picked up my gun in SC no safety course was required. Just walked in picked it up and walked out (no license needed either). In MA you have to take a 4 hour basic firearms course which primarily informed us on all all the relevant for us (east coast) laws and obviously more in depth on our state laws.

    I think everyone buying a gun for the first time should have to take this course, firearms laws are convoluted to say the least, it's really beneficial if you at least have some idea what they are.
    Did you take a heavy lifting course before you bought a TV? Did you show proof of training before buying a chainsaw? Did you have to show your hazmat training certificate to purchase gas? All are dangerous when used in any capacity. What a liberal statement for you to make.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast