Insurance cover for a self defense civil lawsuit?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Insurance cover for a self defense civil lawsuit?

1. Insurance cover for a self defense civil lawsuit?

Hello,

I have been a long time lurker here and finally decided to register.

I'm hoping someone on the forum may be able to help me find a company that would offer liability (or umbrella) insurance that would cover a civil lawsuit as a result of a self defense shooting.

I know there are a bunch of companies out there who offer this as part of covering legal costs, but I am already a member of a program that would pay all of my legal expenses.

So I'm just looking to cover myself in case I was ever unfortunate enough to be forced to defend myself and subsequently ruled against and had to pay for liability of my actions in self defense.

I understand most major insurance companies offer an umbrella plan as part of their homeowners insurance but I don't own a home and only have renters insurance. And I hear that most of those plans would not cover an intentional injury action outside of the home, even in self defense.

Thank you very much for any help!

Dave.

P.S. My state of residence is Colorado which I believe is a Castle Doctrine state and does have a stand-your-ground law. But I could be wrong.

I'm not really sure about the insurance part of the question, however, Colorado does have a stand your ground law, but you are only protected from civil law suits at your residence. You aren't protected from them anywhere else. Your best bet would be to call your renters insurance company and ask them specifically what their umbrella insurance covers. You will most likely be required to have at least $300K Liability that is attached to your renters insurance before purchasing the umbrella insurance.
    The miracle of Christ in me - Is the mystery that sets me free
    I'm nothing like I used to be - So open up your eyes you'll see

Check out this site. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/
    Say what you mean and mean what you say, for those who matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.

5. Thanks for your replies, I really appreciate it!

GLADad:
    What I mean about the insurance part is that I'm looking for insurance that would cover me for the amount of money I am sued if somebody were to take me to court in a civil case.

For example:
    My wife & I are attacked in a park and I am forced to defend us with my legally concealed firearm. I fire two shots. One misses the attacker and the second one strikes him. The shot that misses unfortunately hits a man walking past the park in the leg. The innocent man that is shot sues me for lets say one million dollars. I am looking for a liability insurance that would cover the one million dollars I have just been sued for.

My renters insurance liability will not cover me for an intentional act even if it is in self defense. So I'm looking for a company that will.

PhilG:
    Thanks for the link. I checked it out and the Self-Defense Shield product only reimburses your legal-defense expenses following your acquittal. I am already a member of a group that covers all of my legal-defense fees. I'm actually looking for an insurance policy that will cover any judgments from a civil lawsuit.

Thanks again guys, I'm still looking and will post anything I find.

Dave

Your best bet would be to A) not miss, B) make sure the attacker's dead before before he hits the ground, and C) move to a state that immunes you from civil suits following an acquittal of criminal charges if you don't already live in one. I realize not all these thing are likely possible, but I have not come across any such insurance policy as the one you seek. Doesn't mean it's not out there though.

As mentioned above, the unconcealed carry assn. is a great start for anyone interested in liability insurance. You have several price levels. I chose the 127 a year. It covers me to 50k in legal. I don't think I'll need more than that as the gun is only going to be used in certain self defense matters.....life or serious injury threats. You can get higher coverage limits.
    Beyond the fee.....you get a wonderful magazine each month....and I mean great....plus they've got a great website for members.

I talked to my insurance agent last month and set up a personal liability umbrella policy. They are surprisingly inexpensive.

-SF

I think an umbrella policy would be the way to go. Some states are already talking about manditory insurance for your gun. My thought is for gun owners to not give this idea any more attention by seeking out your own gun/self defense specific insurance. Slippery slope in my eyes. We cannot be ok with someone telling us that we need to buy an insurance policy that is manditory for simply wanting to protect ourselves. I see it as another gun control measure. My opinion.... Just the libertarian in me talking here.

10. Quote Originally Posted by SlyFerret View Post
    I talked to my insurance agent last month and set up a personal liability umbrella policy. They are surprisingly inexpensive.

-SF
    Hey SlyFerret,

Which insurance company is offering you the umbrella insurance you for an intentional act of harm if in self defense? And is it part of your homeowners policy?

Thanks,

Dave.

You don't need an insurance. You need a good range and a couple of targets...

GO PRACTICE!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast