Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record

DeKul34:
    I didn't remember the part about time served....BUT...

Was Luke's situation one where the courts suspended sentence because Luke agreed to plead guilty? I still would question Luke, did the charges carry a POSSIBILITY of jail time greater than one year? Did Luke have a sentence of greater than one year jail time suspended because he agreed to plead guilty?

If this is the case, Luke still might want to talk with a lawyer....maybe even a local 'legal clinic' where it won't cost but a few bucks to get an answer.

If there was NO jail time mentioned, referred to, or deferred in court, I would personally believe there would be no problem with applying for a CCL, but I'm not a lawyer, just a worrisome type. (I do have a hard time grasping a 'felony' charge of any type that didn't carry a jail time penalty)

I see the biggest problem being the way that law enforcement might look at answering this question the wrong way....if LE sees this as 'false statement' criteria, Luke could lose the right to get his CCL ... so, I still will urge caution...

Either way Luke, good luck, and let us know what happens....

3. I shall attempt at getting one, and so be it they don't let me obtain one, it is only $80.. I shall just make sure I am honest and see where it goes. Thanks guys for the suggestions. :)
    Luke

In Canada a lot of things are felony charges...
    for example we were traveling to Alaska on the Alaska marine ferry system...A U.S. Govt owned ship and the captain had had a DUI in hi past. He made no attempt to leave the vessel and go through customs but the CMP did come on board and arrest the "felon"...they always get their man! The captain was detained for several hours and we were delayed from getting underway. there was no attempt of the captain whatsoever to enter canada...and the CMP storming a US flagged ship was also quite wrong. The whole thing went away and the captain was returned. Apparently a DUI is a felony in Canada...
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Test test test !!!
    Last edited by festus; 05-02-2013 at 09:37 PM. Reason: DUPLICATE POST
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    In Canada a lot of things are felony charges...
    for example we were traveling to Alaska on the Alaska marine ferry system...A U.S. Govt owned ship and the captain had had a DUI in hi past. He made no attempt to leave the vessel and go through customs but the CMP did come on board and arrest the "felon"...they always get their man! The captain was detained for several hours and we were delayed from getting underway. there was no attempt of the captain whatsoever to enter canada...and the CMP storming a US flagged ship was also quite wrong. The whole thing went away and the captain was returned. Apparently a DUI is a felony in Canada...
    If the ferry entered Canadian territorial waters, he's in Canada. CMP had every right to come aboard if that was the case. Just because a ship is flagged in a foreign county doesn't make it sovereign territory. It's just registered in that country. That's like saying a driver with Oregon plates can't get pulled over in Washington. Registration has no effect on jurisdiction.

You have not entered Canada until you go through a boarder check point and or customs
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    You have not entered Canada until you go through a boarder check point and or customs
    So you're saying Canadian law doesn't apply in Canadian territorial waters? I could hop in a canoe, paddle across the border, and murder somebody in my canoe 20 ft. from the shore and get away scott free? Since I haven't gone through customs, I'm not in Canada so they don't have jurisdiction? Just because you don't make landfall doesn't mean you're not in Canada. I'm a private pilot and have flown to and from Alaska several times, crossing over Canada to get there. Don't land, don't get a passport stamp, and yet I'm still in Canadian airspace and under their jurisdiction and must follow their laws.

9. Seek counsel, so you don't commit any felonies on U.S. soil. Is it really worth becoming a felon in the U.S.?

Some states do a limited foreign background check through Interpol. It could pop on that background check.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Luke,

I am very much interested in finding out what you learn on this in case you go to a lawyer. Please post a follow up if you do find out the information. Thanks.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast