Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record

1. So, I have finally reached a stable point in North Carolina, and I purchased a long rifle. I figured if the FBI didnt pass me on that then why continue to get a handgun. The FBI did nothing in regards to me buying long rifles. So I applied for my purchasing permits, I explained the situation to the local Sheriff and they just requested they have my charges on file as so they can make sure there was no violence charges. I will continue to keep you all updated.
    Luke

3. Quote Originally Posted by Dekul34 View Post
    The Question reads felony or other crime for which the maximum sentence is greater than one year. That's implied in my view as "in the US" else you could lose your rights for taking a sip of water outside during Ramadan in Kuwait or wearing a cross necklace in China... Clearly not in the spirit of the law.
    Going back some 40 years -- I wonder how the POWs returning from Viet Nam were affected by this.

Felony? Probably not, but jail sentence of more than one year, probably so.

Hmm -- food for thought.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Hordyk View Post
    So, I have finally reached a stable point in North Carolina, and I purchased a long rifle. I figured if the FBI didnt pass me on that then why continue to get a handgun. The FBI did nothing in regards to me buying long rifles. So I applied for my purchasing permits, I explained the situation to the local Sheriff and they just requested they have my charges on file as so they can make sure there was no violence charges. I will continue to keep you all updated.
    Luke
    Hi Luke. I saw above where you said you didn't have to serve time for your "crimes," but the pertinent questions on the ATF Form 4473 are not about sentencing, but about the potential to have to serve a year or more according to the felony statutes you violated. The questions read thusly:

b. Are you under indictment or information in any court for a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could imprison you for more than one year? (See Instructions for Question 11.b.)

c. Have you ever been convicted in any court of a felony, or any other crime, for which the judge could have imprisoned you for more than one year, even if you received a shorter sentence including probation? (See Instructions for Question 11.c.)

If the answer to either of those questions is "No," it doesn't matter at all what jurisdiction you were in. If the answer is "Yes" though, it is unclear on the form's face whether or not they apply only to American jurisdictions, or to foreign jurisdictions as well. Unfortunately, your local Sheriff doesn't have the authority to override whatever ATF's interpretation of the questions' meaning they intend. I tend to doubt that the ATF is looking out-of-country for proof that people lied on the 4473 form, but you either need to ask them or try to find an attorney or other kind of expert to definitively answer the question for you.

As others have said, it's a good question, but I don't know if anyone here is really qualified to give you the definitive answer you're asking for. Do keep us posted though, and good luck.

Blues

No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123