Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record

1. Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record

I have recently moved to the wonderful state of North Carolina, I am looking into getting my concealed carry permit. However, I have come across a bit of a dilemma. A few years back I was charged and plead guilty to owning a butterfly knife, 2 knuckle blades, and 3 throwing stars in the strict country of Canada. Will this prevent me from getting my permit? I have no history of violence, assault, or any other form of criminal activity. Just happened to have bought some knives when living in Tennessee and then moved to Canada for work.
    Thanks,
    Luke

Blog Entries
    Good question! I'm not a lawyer but I don't think it should but if I were you I would check with a lawyer just to be sure so you don't waste time & money trying to get a ccp just to find out you can't.

Concealed Carry and foreign criminal record

That's a good question that I've never heard asked before. I don't think you should have an issue. Are you a natural born us citizen? I wouldn't think CHL background checks would dig into foreign history unless you were a fairly recent naturalized citizen. And even then, it sounds expensive and unlikely for something like a CHL. If you were applying for say a government security clearance then that would probably come up, but as for a CHL, I doubt it. As long as you're not a fugitive or I think you're probably fine but a good lawyer should be able to confirm. Were your charges felonies up there?

As capable as the US is dealing with anything foreign, like credit checks or employment histories, I very much doubt that this will come up. What was the charge, exactly? A misdemeanor, a felony?
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

6. I am an American born a broad. My mom had me while in Canada, she was from Jersey. Yes I am an American citizen. In Canada the charges were considered a felony. And as to what exactly happened.. I was living in TN for a while, and moved to Canada for a bit of time (ended up going for schooling), while in Canada I was moving to a new place of residency, when I got pulled over be the police for doing 8 mph over the speed limit. No offense to anyone, but I do not trust law men, so I did not wind down my window completely. They illegally searched my vehicle on suspicion of not winding my window down, to finding nothing, but my knife collection that I was transporting to my new residency. Also in the vehicle I had a box of 22. caliber long rifle ammunition legally purchased, legally owned. In court I fought the illegal search, to no regard, the judge wanted to make an example of me, which he also stated in his final statement. The ending charges consisted of ownership of prohibited device of: 1 account butterfly knife, 2 account of knuckle blade, 3 account of shirkin, and laugh as I know you all will(because I did after) 1 account of improper transportation of ammunition. in other words the ammunition was not in a lockable container during transportation.

Here in Indiana... on the application I filled out, I was asked if I had ever been charged with or convicted of any felony. Another question asked if I was ever charged with or convicted of any misdemeanor. If yes was the answer to either question, there was a space to explain yourself.

If you answer no to these questions, when you know better, you are guilty of perjury, a felony. SO, BE CAREFUL how you answer these questions....

8. Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Blameless View Post
    Here in Indiana... on the application I filled out, I was asked if I had ever been charged with or convicted of any felony. Another question asked if I was ever charged with or convicted of any misdemeanor. If yes was the answer to either question, there was a space to explain yourself.

If you answer no to these questions, when you know better, you are guilty of perjury, a felony. SO, BE CAREFUL how you answer these questions....
    The Question reads felony or other crime for which the maximum sentence is greater than one year. That's implied in my view as "in the US" else you could lose your rights for taking a sip of water outside during Ramadan in Kuwait or wearing a cross necklace in China... Clearly not in the spirit of the law.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Blameless View Post

The Question reads felony or other crime for which the maximum sentence is greater than one year. That's implied in my view as "in the US" else you could lose your rights for taking a sip of water outside during Ramadan in Kuwait or wearing a cross necklace in China... Clearly not in the spirit of the law.

10. I did not have to serve any time for it.. they just wanted to make my life a little more difficult.. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Hordyk View Post
    I did not have to serve any time for it.. they just wanted to make my life a little more difficult.. :P

I suggest you shut up and forget about it.
    Worst case, you are denied and you lose a hundred bucks or so.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast