LaCrosse, Wisconsin . Mall. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LaCrosse, Wisconsin . Mall.

It is my understanding that a verbal warning carries the same weight as a posted sign.

I also agree you need to have a talk with your wife. Concealed is concealed, until you are forced to draw no one should ever know.

My wife doesn't want to know if I have it with or not, and wouldn't say a word. If you have kids, they really don't need to know when you carry, they do need to know when not to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    In Wisconsin, if the signage is legal (5x7 inches and posted at every entry point to the building), then they carry the force of law and you are committing a crime by possessing a "weapon" on the premises.

That being said, even with no sign, a business owner or private citizen may wish to prohibit firearms on his property, and if you are notified of this prohibition, you must leave or you may face a trespassing charge if the police are notified.

That is my understanding. I always look for signs, and do not patronize where posted.

I havevread on a Wisconsin-specific forum that situations of plausible deniability can exist in some cases. For example... the Scheel's in Eau Claire is part of the Oakwood Mall. You can obviously purchase firearms and carry legally in this establishment, and as such, their entry is not posted. They have an entrance directly into the mall which is also not posted. Therefore, the signage posted at every other mall entrance is not lawfully binding, as "all" entry points are not posted. So if confronted (again, concealed is concealed, so no one should know unless an incident happens or someone "pipes up"... or maybe you decided to open carry that day), you can state that you were unaware of the restriction, as you entered the premises through Scheel's and there wasn't any signage. You'll likely be asked to leave at that point, and will again be facing a trespassing charge if you do not comply and the police are called.
    Understood. Good explanation. Scheel's is a great store! We have on here in Reno/Sparks, NV. Love it.
    A man's life, liberty, and property are only safe when the legislature is NOT in session. Will Rogers

4. Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post
    In Wisconsin, if the signage is legal (5x7 inches and posted at every entry point to the building), then they carry the force of law and you are committing a crime by possessing a "weapon" on the premises.

That being said, even with no sign, a business owner or private citizen may wish to prohibit firearms on his property, and if you are notified of this prohibition, you must leave or you may face a trespassing charge if the police are notified.
    Basically, if you are conceal carrying, or open carrying for that matter, on a property, and the owner does not like the idea but has not posted it, then they must verbally tell you. At that point, you need to leave or they can call the cops on you. I don't bother to go back and patronize that business but if you want to, then you have to leave your firearm outside the property. My understanding is that they have to inform you that you are not welcome to carry the firearm on their property and give you an opportunity to comply, the owner of said property can't get you in trouble by calling the police without out first giving you notice.

With that said, there will probably be those that call the police on you before they talk to you but you can't get a citation if you have not been notified first. Again, that is my interpretation of the law.

5. Private Properties does not need a sign.

look at it as your own front yard, if someone is standing on your front door with a shotgun. You think the guy will tell say you cant tell him to get off your property because there is no sign?
    mall's are owned by private citizens and they make their own house rules, if your asked to leave, you leave or a power hungry mall security will pepper spray you, and don't you think your self defense rights are protected when your the one trespassing.
    most states.. CCW permits are not honored within a private property which is not controlled by the state, so it would be a big problem if cops arrest you, easy way to get your CCW revoked and probably never be issued one again.

Gun or no gun if the owner or a representative of the owner ( employee or subcontractor) asks you to leave private property for any reason or even no reason you need to leave or you are trespassing. If you don't agree with the reasoning don't go back. If you do go back comply with their wishes.

LaCrosse, Wisconsin . Mall.

It sounds like no one did anything wrong except the employer. If the OP left after the guard told him no guns, what was the problem? That does not warrant a crybaby call to the police. Also, how did the employer even find out?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BUmmedic View Post

That is my understanding. I always look for signs, and do not patronize where posted.

I havevread on a Wisconsin-specific forum that situations of plausible deniability can exist in some cases. For example... the Scheel's in Eau Claire is part of the Oakwood Mall. You can obviously purchase firearms and carry legally in this establishment, and as such, their entry is not posted. They have an entrance directly into the mall which is also not posted. Therefore, the signage posted at every other mall entrance is not lawfully binding, as "all" entry points are not posted. So if confronted (again, concealed is concealed, so no one should know unless an incident happens or someone "pipes up"... or maybe you decided to open carry that day), you can state that you were unaware of the restriction, as you entered the premises through Scheel's and there wasn't any signage. You'll likely be asked to leave at that point, and will again be facing a trespassing charge if you do not comply and the police are called.
    but now they are going to fix that loophole which is why i never brought it up and I was just there yesterday afternoon. Thank the OP on that forum for all of us who will soon be disarmed at the only mall in 100 miles to allow carry, even if inadverdently.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12