TheSheepdogs

Most humans truly are like sheep
    Wanting nothingmore than peace to keep
    To graze, grow fat and raise theiryoung,
    Sweet taste of clover on the tongue.
    Their lives sereneupon Life’s farm,
    They sense no threat nor fear no harm.
    Onverdant meadows, they forage free
    With naught to fear, with naughtto flee.
    They pay their sheepdogs little heed
    For there is nothreat; there is no need.

To the flock, sheepdog’s aremysteries,
    Roaming watchful round the peripheries.
    Thesefang-toothed creatures bark, they roar
    With the fetid reek of thecarnivore,
    Too like the wolf of legends told,
    To be amongst ourdocile fold.
    Who needs sheepdogs? What good are they?
    They haveno use, not in this day.
    Lock them away, out of our sight
    Wehave no need of their fierce might.

But sudden in their midsta beast
    Has come to kill, has come to feast
    The wolves attack;they give no warning
    Upon that calm September morning
    Theyslash and kill with frenzied glee
    Their passive helpless enemy
    Whohad no clue the wolves were there
    Far roaming from their Easternlair.
    Then from the carnage, from the rout,
    Comes the cry,“Turn the sheepdogs out!”

Thus is our nature but too ourplight
    To keep our dogs on leashes tight
    And live a life ofillusive bliss
    Hearing not the beast, his growl, his hiss.
    Untilhe has us by the throat,
    We pay no heed; we take no note.
    Notuntil he strikes us at our core
    Will we unleash the Dogs ofWar
    Only having felt the wolf pack’s wrath
    Do we loose thesheepdogs on its path.

And the wolves will learn what we’veshown before;
    We love our sheep, we Dogs of War.

RussVaughn
    2d Bn, 327th Parachute Infantry Regiment
    101st AirborneDivision
    Vietnam 65-66
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

My "Obligation" goes to me and mine. With out me, alive and providing for them they will suffer. Responsibility to ones own, comes before anything or anyone else's safety and welfare. If I cannot take of me and mine I cannot take care of anyone else.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    My "Obligation" goes to me and mine. With out me, alive and providing for them they will suffer. Responsibility to ones own, comes before anything or anyone else's safety and welfare. If I cannot take of me and mine I cannot take care of anyone else.
    Hi Seeya,

If that's how you think then that's up to you, we are all free to make our choice. I don't see in this thread where anyone said a CCW holder was obligated to intervene, the references I saw were being obliged to "train, train, train" and that the police were NOT obliged to protect. There have been lots of threads about the sheepdog subject and can become heated.

We all must make the choice as to when we would draw our weapon and confront evil. For some it is only to protect themselves and their family; for others that threshold encompasses more.

From Blackfive a military blog "http://www.blackfive.net" an interesting and germane post about the Norwegian shootings, below is an excerpt:

"DEFENDING THE WEAK
    POSTED BY GRIM [JULY 23, 2011]

(list of factors)
    4) When he began shooting, everyone ran.

That last factor alone is responsible for almost all of the dead. A tight group of young men taught to run at danger instead of away from it could have overpowered him almost at once.

As that did not happen, he had a clear field of fire and a target rich environment. As that started a panic, probably some were trampled and others drowned. The police did not arrive for a long time, giving him time to finish what he had begun -- but the police will never be around when one of these mass killings happens, unless it is targeted at them specifically. It is always easy to find a soft target if you want one, even in a police state.

The key lesson to mass shootings is that the whole of our societies must remember their duty to fight for the common peace and lawful order. We must all do it. We must train for it, and we must equip ourselves as well as the law and our natural abilities permit. This is the duty of a citizen. It is a duty that cannot be delegated to the police or to the military. It must be borne by all of us. We must train our sons for this duty also. In a dangerous world, this alone is what makes civilization possible."
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    TheSheepdogs

Most humans truly are like sheep
    Wanting nothingmore than peace to keep
    To graze, grow fat and raise theiryoung,
    Sweet taste of clover on the tongue.
    Their lives sereneupon Life’s farm,
    They sense no threat nor fear no harm.
    Onverdant meadows, they forage free
    With naught to fear, with naughtto flee.
    They pay their sheepdogs little heed
    For there is nothreat; there is no need.

To the flock, sheepdog’s aremysteries,
    Roaming watchful round the peripheries.
    Thesefang-toothed creatures bark, they roar
    With the fetid reek of thecarnivore,
    Too like the wolf of legends told,
    To be amongst ourdocile fold.
    Who needs sheepdogs? What good are they?
    They haveno use, not in this day.
    Lock them away, out of our sight
    Wehave no need of their fierce might.

But sudden in their midsta beast
    Has come to kill, has come to feast
    The wolves attack;they give no warning
    Upon that calm September morning
    Theyslash and kill with frenzied glee
    Their passive helpless enemy
    Whohad no clue the wolves were there
    Far roaming from their Easternlair.
    Then from the carnage, from the rout,
    Comes the cry,“Turn the sheepdogs out!”

Thus is our nature but too ourplight
    To keep our dogs on leashes tight
    And live a life ofillusive bliss
    Hearing not the beast, his growl, his hiss.
    Untilhe has us by the throat,
    We pay no heed; we take no note.
    Notuntil he strikes us at our core
    Will we unleash the Dogs ofWar
    Only having felt the wolf pack’s wrath
    Do we loose thesheepdogs on its path.

And the wolves will learn what we’veshown before;
    We love our sheep, we Dogs of War.

RussVaughn
    2d Bn, 327th Parachute Infantry Regiment
    101st AirborneDivision
    Vietnam 65-66
    I "Liked" this post because I couldn't find the Love It Button.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by MickGIS View Post
    Hi Seeya,

If that's how you think then that's up to you, we are all free to make our choice. I don't see in this thread where anyone said a CCW holder was obligated to intervene, the references I saw were being obliged to "train, train, train" and that the police were NOT obliged to protect. There have been lots of threads about the sheepdog subject and can become heated.

We all must make the choice as to when we would draw our weapon and confront evil. For some it is only to protect themselves and their family; for others that threshold encompasses more.

From Blackfive a military blog "http://www.blackfive.net" an interesting and germane post about the Norwegian shootings, below is an excerpt:

"DEFENDING THE WEAK
    POSTED BY GRIM • [JULY 23, 2011]

(list of factors)
    4) When he began shooting, everyone ran.

That last factor alone is responsible for almost all of the dead. A tight group of young men taught to run at danger instead of away from it could have overpowered him almost at once.

As that did not happen, he had a clear field of fire and a target rich environment. As that started a panic, probably some were trampled and others drowned. The police did not arrive for a long time, giving him time to finish what he had begun -- but the police will never be around when one of these mass killings happens, unless it is targeted at them specifically. It is always easy to find a soft target if you want one, even in a police state.

The key lesson to mass shootings is that the whole of our societies must remember their duty to fight for the common peace and lawful order. We must all do it. We must train for it, and we must equip ourselves as well as the law and our natural abilities permit. This is the duty of a citizen. It is a duty that cannot be delegated to the police or to the military. It must be borne by all of us. We must train our sons for this duty also. In a dangerous world, this alone is what makes civilization possible."
    You missed post 10 whereas obligation is used.

You missed post 10 whereas obligation is used.
    You missed the reference in my reply to post 10 where he had a nebulous reference to obligation. So yes I did read it and interrupted that a CCW carrying a deadly weapon has an obligation to "train, train, train."

Your position to not intervene is held my many but one I disagree with, on the other hand I am not saying be an unsworn police officer or be a crime fighter. But your threshold of action and mine are different.
    I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

I had a long reply typed but deleted it because it wasn't worth the effort it was costing. Cheers.
    -Austin

You missed the reference in my reply to post 10 where he had a nebulous reference to obligation. So yes I did read it and interrupted that a CCW carrying a deadly weapon has an obligation to "train, train, train."

Your position to not intervene is held my many but one I disagree with, on the other hand I am not saying be an unsworn police officer or be a crime fighter. But your threshold of action and mine are different.
    I never said I would not entervene. I am not responsiable for you or anyone, but me and mine come first. Consequence's of one's actions can have long lasting effects on one's life that extend to other's. I have not sworn to protect other's life's and welfare. The Oath's I have taken never stated called for me to defend a person or people. Obligation implies a duty.

I never said I would not entervene. I am not responsiable for you or anyone, but me and mine come first. Consequence's of one's actions can have long lasting effects on one's life that extend to other's. I have not sworn to protect other's life's and welfare. The Oath's I have taken never stated called for me to defend a person or people. Obligation implies a duty.
    Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the clarification.
    Your Welcome.....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123