Planning on moving, contemplating which state CCW permit to get

Thread: Planning on moving, contemplating which state CCW permit to get

1. Planning on moving, contemplating which state CCW permit to get

Hello all!

I am currently a Kentucky resident and am planning on getting my KY CCDW in the next couple of weeks. However I may be moving to Missouri by the end of the year and hope to live there for approx 1.5 years. MO requires 6 months of residency before issuing a CCDW permit. I am wondering what the best way would be to not loose my ability to carry and still stay legal. Can I apply for an Arizona permit to cover me through the 6 month residency wait (and subsequent additional 6 month wait if I move back)?

I am very excited to start exercising my 2nd amendment rights, and appreciate the help in keeping me on the right side of the law!

3. You may be in a sticky situation. Here in Texas, they recognize all other state ccw, unless you are a resident of Texas, then you must have a Texas ccw.

4. Get a non resident FL. Good in both states

Quote Originally Posted by cleangreennmean View Post
    MO requires 6 months of residency before issuing a CCDW permit.
    Not according to law,they don't:
    Section 571-101 Concealed carry endorsements, applicati

2. A certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to subsection 7 of this section shall be issued by the sheriff or his or her designee of the county or city in which the applicant resides, if the applicant:
    (1) Is at least twenty-one years of age, is a citizen of the United States and either:
    (a) Has assumed residency in this state; or
    (b) Is a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Missouri, or the spouse of such member of the military;

Quote Originally Posted by cleangreennmean View Post
    I am currently a Kentucky resident and am planning on getting my KY CCDW in the next couple of weeks. However I may be moving to Missouri by the end of the year and hope to live there for approx 1.5 years. I am wondering what the best way would be to not loose my ability to carry and still stay legal. Can I apply for an Arizona permit to cover me through the 6 month residency wait (and subsequent additional 6 month wait if I move back)?

Why would your Kentucky permit not cover you in Missouri?
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Not according to law,they don't:
    Section 571-101 Concealed carry endorsements, applicati

2. A certificate of qualification for a concealed carry endorsement issued pursuant to subsection 7 of this section shall be issued by the sheriff or his or her designee of the county or city in which the applicant resides, if the applicant:
    (1) Is at least twenty-one years of age, is a citizen of the United States and either:
    (a) Has assumed residency in this state; or
    (b) Is a member of the Armed Forces stationed in Missouri, or the spouse of such member of the military;

Interesting, I will have to do more research. I was sure I read that one had to have residency for 6 months like they do here in KY.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Why would your Kentucky permit not cover you in Missouri?
    Presumably because I would change residencies, thereby invalidating my KY permit which only applies to residents of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by TxSTICarry View Post
    You may be in a sticky situation. Here in Texas, they recognize all other state ccw, unless you are a resident of Texas, then you must have a Texas ccw.
    I think most if not all states are like that. You must have a resident permit for your state to carry in your state. You can't get a permit from a third party state that has reciprocity with your home state to carry at home. Have to have a resident permit first.

Missouri no longer has the 6 month wait. Once you establish residency you can apply for a Missouri permit (if you have taken the Missouri training).

Missouri recognizes all permits so any other out-of-state permit will work. Arizona as mentioned is a 5 year permit and costs $60 plus whatever your local PD charges for prints. Florida you can get with a DD214 discharge papers, hunter education course, or any other firearms training course (i.e. NRA). Since I am not sure what requirements Kentucky has for training prior to issuing your permit, you may or may not be able to use that training for your out-of-state permit. For example, I used my Missouri permit (and instructors training) to procure the Arizona permit.

Good luck and welcome to Missouri when you get here.

Come to Wyoming. No "permit" required, and open carry not unusual at all. If you know how to turn a wrench or swing a hammer... you can also get a job. :)
    NRA Certified instructor: handgun, self defense, CRSO (retired 2017)

10. Quote Originally Posted by TxSTICarry View Post
    You may be in a sticky situation. Here in Texas, they recognize all other state ccw, unless you are a resident of Texas, then you must have a Texas ccw.
    Everything I have found says that is not true and its very common for Texas residents to get CHL from Arizona and Florida which both have a simple and cheap process. AZ is $60, FL is $100ish. You fill out their forms, get fingerprinted (ink and paper) and provide proof of having had some firearms instruction or if you are an honorably discharged veteran provide a copy of your DD214 and you are done!

If you already have your Texas CHL then dont worry with changing that but if you dont then those look like good options..