Conceal Carry in a carried bag. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Conceal Carry in a carried bag.

Cautious Horse, you still haven't named any states where this is legal. I'd certainly like to know which state or states that require a permit for CC allow this (not including the constitutional carry states of VT, AK, AZ, and WY of course).

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Cautious Horse View Post
    Not in every state is it like that. As long as you aren't concealing it with clothing you are not concealing it period. Possession isn't an issue in that case.

Why can't people just open their mind to states that have more gun rights than there's? Is there some point scoring going on I wonder?
    Please provide cites and/or links to the pertinent laws in the States (which States too) of which you speak?

Please understand I'm not being a jerk... I just want to see and research what you are talking about since I've never heard of such a thing legally.... not to say it isn't true... I'd just like to see something to substantiate it.

4. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Cautious Horse, you still haven't named any states where this is legal. I'd certainly like to know which state or states that require a permit for CC allow this (not including the constitutional carry states of VT, AK, AZ, and WY of course).

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk HD
    Montana is one that clearly states CCW definition is clothing or clothing apparel.

So a bag CCW there would by definition NOT be contravening state law.

The Definition of concealed in Montana is "wholly or partially covered by
    clothing or wearing apparel".

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/montana.pdf

Ahh, sorry about this, I've just re-read the thing and it seems as though that is for car-carry / RV Carry only. What a bummer... :(

Montana is one that clearly states CCW definition is clothing or clothing apparel.

Ahh, sorry about this, I've just re-read the thing and it seems as though that is for car-carry / RV Carry only. What a bummer... :(
    Understood... please understand the following.........

There have been many folks on many forums who make statements... then refuse to stand behind their statements and even resort to insults and ridicule yet never do substantiate their statements.

However.. You are working at actually backing up what you said. Just because you didn't find it yet doesn't discourage me. I'm just glad you are willing to prove your statements have merit.

That alone puts you in a +1 in my book.

And... if you do find laws to substantiate your premise then I will have learned something... and if you don't then you will have learned something. A "win/win" I think.

Methinks the following might have some bearing on what is considered "concealed" in Montana....

45-8-316. Carrying concealed weapons.

45-8-316. Carrying concealed weapons. (1) A person who carries or bears concealed upon the individual's person a dirk, dagger, pistol, revolver, slingshot, sword cane, billy, knuckles made of any metal or hard substance, knife having a blade 4 inches long or longer, razor, not including a safety razor, or other deadly weapon shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $500 or by imprisonment in the county jail for a period not exceeding 6 months, or both.
    (2) A person who has previously been convicted of an offense, committed on a different occasion than the offense under this section, in this state or any other jurisdiction for which a sentence to a term of imprisonment in excess of 1 year could have been imposed and who carries or bears concealed upon the individual's person any of the weapons described in subsection (1) shall be punished by a fine not exceeding $1,000 or be imprisoned in the state prison for a period not exceeding 5 years, or both.

Now... what is considered to be... "upon the individual's person" I really don't know and am, to be honest, not interested enough to research to discover the answer to.

Hiking backpackers do it all the time, they have a pistol inside a bag that can be rigged for a quick-draw.

Well I thought that sort of thing but essentially it depends on what the state law defines 'concealed' as actually being.

Also I know at least one state that considers clothing or clothing apparel to be the concealing aspect (requiring CCW). A bag, according to every definition of the word isn't either of them. So essentially it it's not anchored to clothing I can't see it being against any 'law' :)

YMMV
    It apears like your looking for someone to say yea sure its OK, but when you try to pull something like that and then get busted, then you start in with I didn't break no laws, maybe you did and maybe not, but let me tell you how that might go, cop halls you in, you bond out that will cost you, you get a court date, you hire a lawyer, that cost's you, you go to court the charges may be reduced, or you get probation, even if its not a gun specific charge, the cop will charge puplic nusance, or failure to comply, or some other BS.....also your gun will most likely be confiscated, and you have a police record which could meen you would never get a permit..........all because you wanted to make a statement or test a point, ......I'm against abuse by big brother as much as the next guy, but carrying a gun in a purse or case is carrying a concealed weapon no matter how you may interpret the laws wording, and thats exactly how a cop or judge would see it........I guess the only real question I have of you as far why you dont get a permit is are just a tightwad, not able to pass a backround ck, or the best of all, you really have no gun at all and are just trolling????
    Bad Guys of the world beware the next time you think about jumping on a old guy, because its a fair bet he's to old to fight and probably to fat to run, but can put one in your eye at 50ft with his weak hand

Anyone do this method? Some states are ok with this as long as it's not part of the clothing. It usually means you don't have to apply for a CCW permit.
    there aren't many! VT,AK and AZ come to mind but most others won't be as easy as those constitutional carry states

Quote Originally Posted by Almost_Blameless View Post
    Oh yeah? Hmm...Exactly what states are OK with Concealed Carry in a 'bag'?
    Montana. It's not concealed unless it is on your body and covered by clothing. Inside a bag is not concealed per permit requirement.
    ...SCOTUS says we're right...You don't like it. I'm sorry you don't like it. I guess that's a problem for you. Some people don't like gays. Some don't like alcohol. Some don't like meat. ~michaelzwilliamson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12