Duty to declare? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Duty to declare?

Quote Originally Posted by JayTea View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I an driving from NY to Fl soon. My understanding there is no need to inform if gun is locked in safe unloaded and bullets are locked in a case also out of my reach. True? I have NY unrestricted and Fl and UT non resident. Saw handguns.us sites and PA and SC look like the states I must pass thru with out stopping. True?
    if you have all those permits you can conceal carry your weapons on a good portion of your trip, the places you could not carry your guns on you is NJ, MD and SC (assuming travel on I95), noticing you PA travel I don't want to get into this too deep but I believe your FLA permit will cover you there, the "ban" on fla permits is only for PA residents using a FLA permit to circumvent the PA permitting process.
    But I am not a lawyer nor an expert on all northern gun laws

Quote Originally Posted by JayTea View Post
    Not to hijack the thread, but I an driving from NY to Fl soon. My understanding there is no need to inform if gun is locked in safe unloaded and bullets are locked in a case also out of my reach. True? I have NY unrestricted and Fl and UT non resident. Saw handguns.us sites and PA and SC look like the states I must pass thru with out stopping. True?
    you can drive through SC w/ a loaded pistol as long as it is behind a latched storage, ie glove box, center console, etc. this is w/o any permit.

4. Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    I'll second this! Also, assuming your name is an indication of your state (AZ?) your permit wouldn't hold reciprocity in WA. Assuming this is correct, make sure your travelling per FOPA guidelines while your there.
    Why? FOPA requires both the unloaded gun and the ammunition to be in a locked container or compartment separate from the occupants of the vehicle. Washington state law only requires the gun to be unloaded and not concealed on the person. So why "make sure" you are travelling per FOPA guidelines in WA? I would rather have the unloaded gun in the center console, glove box, door pocket with a loaded magazine readily available in Washington..... IMHO. Once the person exits the vehicle, they can load the gun and open carry in Washington, if they wish.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

I've seen and read about cop's giving a person a hard time with CCP even though it's perfectly lawful to carry. I've only been stopped twice while carrying and although I didn't need to inform the officer I was carrying, while I kept my hands on the steering wheel in plain sight, I comely informed the officer that I was carrying and had a permit to carry. Both times the officer thanked me and after a few moments I was on my way. You never know what kind of policeman you'll come up against, but I've found that if you keep calm and courteous, everything will go fine.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Dedicated to my brother in law who died
    doing what he loved being a Navy SEAL

Quote Originally Posted by opsspec1991 View Post
    You never know what kind of policeman you'll come up against, but I've found that if you keep calm and courteous, everything will go fine.
    Other people have found exactly the opposite.

Obey applicable law. If you do, it doesn't matter what the cop does or doesn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    if you have all those permits you can conceal carry your weapons on a good portion of your trip, the places you could not carry your guns on you is NJ, MD and SC (assuming travel on I95), noticing you PA travel I don't want to get into this too deep but I believe your FLA permit will cover you there, the "ban" on fla permits is only for PA residents using a FLA permit to circumvent the PA permitting process.
    But I am not a lawyer nor an expert on all northern gun laws
    THe PA change affects ALL non-resident FL permits. PA will only honor a FL permit issued to a FL resident. However, while driving thru PA a permit from ANY state, regardless of reciprocity, is sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    However, while driving thru PA a permit from ANY state, regardless of reciprocity, is sufficient.
    Including nonresident permits ?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Including nonresident permits ?
    You replied before I could come back with the cite :-)

18 Pa.C.S. 6106. Firearms not to be carried without a license.
    (a) Offense defined.--
    (1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), any person who carries a firearm in any vehicle or any
    person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except in his place of abode or fixed
    place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license under this chapter commits a
    felony of the third degree.
    (2) A person who is otherwise eligible to possess a valid license under this chapter but carries
    a firearm in any vehicle or any person who carries a firearm concealed on or about his person, except
    in his place of abode or fixed place of business, without a valid and lawfully issued license and has
    not committed any other criminal violation commits a misdemeanor of the first degree.
    (b) Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not apply to:

(11) Any person while carrying a firearm in any vehicle, which person possesses a valid and lawfully issued license for that firearm which has been issued under the laws of the United States or
    any other state.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123