Duty to declare?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Duty to declare?

1. Duty to declare?

I'm soon driving my daughter through Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Missouri and wanted to know which, if any, of those states have a duty to declare when carrying. I know Washington doesn't, and I believe I have established Iowa doesn't, but I don't know other than that.

Yes, I could contact each state AG/SoS individually, but it's a minor enough point I thought I'd check here first.

3. Not required in Idaho.

Not required in Vermont either, then again, not much is!

Duty to declare?

http://www.handgunlaw.us/

This will help. Just click on the state and it will provide you will a truncated version of that state's laws including duty to inform.

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix182 View Post
    I'm soon driving my daughter through Washington, Idaho, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Missouri and wanted to know which, if any, of those states have a duty to declare when carrying. I know Washington doesn't, and I believe I have established Iowa doesn't, but I don't know other than that.

Yes, I could contact each state AG/SoS individually, but it's a minor enough point I thought I'd check here first.
    In must inform states, it's not always so minor!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutStalker View Post
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/

This will help. Just click on the state and it will provide you will a truncated version of that state's laws including duty to inform.
    I'll second this! Also, assuming your name is an indication of your state (AZ?) your permit wouldn't hold reciprocity in WA. Assuming this is correct, make sure your travelling per FOPA guidelines while your there.

just to pile on, visiting Handgunlaw.us and then studying up on the laws of every state that you plan on visiting would be the prudent thing to do. it would also be wise to print those pages out to bring along. their website does not work well on mobile devices

There are also apps for Android phones where you can always check gun laws when traveling. Suspect there are some for iphones also.

I have one is CCW, provides maps, reciprocity, etc.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

The 10 Must Inform states: AK, AR, LA, MI, NC, NE, OH, OK, SC, TX

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    just to pile on, visiting Handgunlaw.us and then studying up on the laws of every state that you plan on visiting would be the prudent thing to do. it would also be wise to print those pages out to bring along. their website does not work well on mobile devices
    Not trying to be a "smartie", but it would be nice if forum members visited handgunlaw.us before they send out the 100th thread with the same question.

My recommendation, print out each reciprocity agreement to every state you will be traveling through. I keep a 3-ring binder in my vehicles that have each reciprocity agreement of every state that my PA and UT permits cover (yes PA is a LTCF).

After that, look up each state's requirements for several things: duty to inform, whether you can carry in a bar, whether you can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, etc.

This is not a MINOR thing. It's something that could give you a firearm's violation and potentially take your right away.

Cops don't have to know the laws, if you bring the laws with you, a simple traffic stop should be just that, simple.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast