Viva Las Vegas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Viva Las Vegas

  1. Viva Las Vegas

    Hello everyone! This is my first post here!

    I hold a Resident Concealed Carry License from Texas, and pretty soon I and the wife will be heading to Las Vegas for a trip. From what I understand, New Mexico and Arizona recognizes the Texas license, but Nevada does not. My plan is to carry through NM/AZ and then unload and store my revolver near the Arizona-Nevada border and keep it in a locked container in the trunk (worth noting that there is no way to access the trunk from the passenger compartment), and to keep it in the trunk at all times (rather than taking the case with me to my hotel room). The hotel I'm staying at is not located in North Las Vegas which from what I understand, has an ordinance which prohibits having guns in a car regardless of the situation.

    Just wondering if anyone here has had to do something similar, and if there are any problems with my plan, I've looked at Nevada laws and the AG opinion on what constitutes having a firearm "about one's person" in Nevada and so far not seen anything that would get me into trouble with the law.

  2.   
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Catofpowerandmagic View Post
    Hello everyone! This is my first post here!

    I hold a Resident Concealed Carry License from Texas, and pretty soon I and the wife will be heading to Las Vegas for a trip. From what I understand, New Mexico and Arizona recognizes the Texas license, but Nevada does not. My plan is to carry through NM/AZ and then unload and store my revolver near the Arizona-Nevada border and keep it in a locked container in the trunk (worth noting that there is no way to access the trunk from the passenger compartment), and to keep it in the trunk at all times (rather than taking the case with me to my hotel room). The hotel I'm staying at is not located in North Las Vegas which from what I understand, has an ordinance which prohibits having guns in a car regardless of the situation.

    Just wondering if anyone here has had to do something similar, and if there are any problems with my plan, I've looked at Nevada laws and the AG opinion on what constitutes having a firearm "about one's person" in Nevada and so far not seen anything that would get me into trouble with the law.
    No need to put your gun in a locked trunk before you get to Nevada. You can keep a loaded gun on the front seat, inside glove box, or center console. Your car is considered an extension of your home.

    You can also open carry though if you walk into a casino doing that they will likely ask you to conceal it, leave it somewhere else or leave. If you don't leave when you are asked, you can be charged with trespassing (not just in a casino, most places can ask you to leave and if you don't leave then you can be charged with trespassing).

    North Las Vegas ordinance shouldn't be enforced, but you never know if the PD will do it just to annoy you. Outside of the county shooting park, some gun stores, and a few casinos there isn't really anything to see or do in NLV.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by 442js View Post
    North Las Vegas ordinance shouldn't be enforced, but you never know if the PD will do it just to annoy you. Outside of the county shooting park, some gun stores, and a few casinos there isn't really anything to see or do in NLV.
    North Las Vegas is the scumbag of the Vegas valley.

    I don't recommend OC'ing in any casino on the strip. They'll ask you to leave almost every time, which you are required by law to do.

    Many of the "high end" hotels on the strip now feature a (free) in-room safe for valuables. If yours does, I suggest taking the gun to your room...having it secured during the day and by your bedside at night.

    Welcome to town. We like tourists.
    G'Day and G'lock

  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Phoenix Arizona
    Posts
    67
    Must be my good looks (kind of look like Sam Elliot, so I'm told) or my charming personality, but I have never been approached when OC in a Casino there.

  6. It is ironic that a state that has legalized brothel houses and gets its money from casinos would prohibit CHL persons to have their weapons secured. But then, remember, Obama said to not go to Las Vegas and "waste $$$". But then, he is not shy about burning jet fuel. Anyway,good luck with your trip.

  7. If you don't have a NV permit I would have it unloaded with the magazine and ammo separate from the firearm. I definitely would not leave it in the car in Las Vegas. I valet when I am there. That would be the definition of out of your control. Someone mentioned using the hotel safe, which is what I did when I flew there to take the CCW class.

  8. My only concern with using the hotel safe is the fact from what I've read on the Attorney General's opinion on what constitutes carrying "upon one's person", apparently having a gun in suitcase that is being carried constitutes "upon one's person", per legal precedent, and unless I develop teleportation skills that's the only way to get gun from car to hotel room or vice-versa unless I open carry, which I'm afraid might bring me a great deal of unwanted attention. I do agree though, that the safe would probably be a better option that leaving it in the car...

  9. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    623
    Trust me... I live here. No one is going to bother you if you have a gun in your luggage while going to your room. LV Metro has enough to deal with.
    G'Day and G'lock

  10. #9
    I heard somewhere that hotel safes were not all that safe since the management (and, therefore, others...) have a "back door" access to save those customers who create and then forget their codes from themselves. Sounds reasonable, but what say you?
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

    Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

  11. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Posts
    623
    Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    I heard somewhere that hotel safes were not all that safe since the management (and, therefore, others...) have a "back door" access to save those customers who create and then forget their codes from themselves. Sounds reasonable, but what say you?
    You're likely right.

    However, this ain't Motel 6. Being an economy based on tourism, the last thing a major, strip hotel is gonna do is start "back-dooring" a safe in a guest room. Guest security is the prime directive in the big hotels/casinos. If one were to worry about such a super-slim chance like that, they might as well not come to town.

    Hotel security and LV Metro don't take kindly to anyone messing with a visitor. You're safer on the strip than 99.99% of the rest of the US... including your own neighborhood. Having said that, if you wander into North Las Vegas, you have a good chance of being mugged or murdered.
    G'Day and G'lock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast