North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit

1. North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit

I have a question regarding this language in the requirements for obtaining a license "has not been convicted of an impaired driving offense within three years prior to the date on which the application is submitted."

I was arrested for DUI just about 3 years ago, but due to misfiling and disregarding my rights, it was plead to a reckless driving charge. Is this considered an impaired driving offense as it wasn't a wet and reckless charge.

Thanks for all the help. This was part of my life I'm glad is past me, but still having to deal with the consequences.

I think you are probably OK, the statute reads;
    (1) While under the influence of an impairing substance; or

(2) After having consumed sufficient alcohol that he has, at any relevant time after the driving, an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more. The results of a chemical analysis shall be deemed sufficient evidence to prove a person's alcohol concentration; or
    (3) With any amount of a Schedule I controlled substance, as listed in G.S. 90‑89, or its metabolites in his blood or urine.
    Reckless is charged where they don't have evidence of other violations, such as saw you hauling azz, but never clocked your speed.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

4. Thanks for the info. Keep it coming. Where did you find that statute? Can you share a link.

North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes - Chapter 20: Motor Vehicles.

Then scroll down and look for 20-138.1 and below that is 20-140 reckless driving.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.

6. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes - Chapter 20: Motor Vehicles.

Then scroll down and look for 20-138.1 and below that is 20-140 reckless driving.

Thanks for the quick replies.

7. Thanks for the quick reply XD40

NC CCH and Driving Record

The statue is specific. They want to know what your were CONVICTED of, not what you were accused of...

For $8, you can obtain a copy of your driving record from North Carolina at:

https://edmv-dr.dot.state.nc.us/Driv...DrivingRecords

You can then verify what you were convicted of. If it is not an offense relating to alcohol use, you are probably good to go with your application.

Note that your local sheriff will be checking your background. if you have a string of convictions, you might still get a rejection. If not, and this is an anomaly, I doubt you'll have an issue.

Have you taken the course yet?

Marc

Just my 2 cents. I think the granting of CWP should not solely relay on the Sheriff of the County you reside in. State Law states that their is NO redress if he/she deems you "unqualified" to have a CWP. WAY to much power in one individual. NO checks and balances. Juz saying.
    On a good note, looks like restaurant carry will come to fruition shortly.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    Just my 2 cents. I think the granting of CWP should not solely relay on the Sheriff of the County you reside in. State Law states that their is NO redress if he/she deems you "unqualified" to have a CWP. WAY to much power in one individual. NO checks and balances. Juz saying.
    On a good note, looks like restaurant carry will come to fruition shortly.
    There is a reason the county sheriff is often referred to as the "High Sheriff" in NC, and are one of the most powerful LEO's in the state.

I will be working with my State Senator and Rep to have a bill submitted to have the law changed. WAY to much power for a single individual. I live in Davidson County and not impeded by the Sherriff but I still do not like the power that can and probably has been welded.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast