Being A Permit Holder Does NOT Make You A Cop - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Being A Permit Holder Does NOT Make You A Cop

1. along with the red S on the tee shirt. I agree w the cost of ammo.
    That a smith and wesson in the photo?

Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger5 View Post
    NO not one cent, But if I was around when your wife, Sister,Daughter,son,brother, or father was attacked I would not stand by, I would risk my life to stop it. That's what people do.
    Quote Originally Posted by whitetiger5 View Post
    If you want to never help anyone but just slink out the back door cause (what ever you think) I am sure you family would be real proud of you. would you have walked out the back door at sandy hook if you were there w a gun and had a legal reason to have said gun in a school. ( cause dingbats say it's a gun free zone! guess it was not) if you say yes that's all I need to know about you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    So if I watch your family be raped/killed and did nothing your response will be to say no big deal. .. At least my family is safe? I guess you will be saving on the tuition, car payments and anything else you would spend on them.
    From my opening post

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Unfortunately, when these folks post stories of their exploits online and get called on their behavior they tend to get defensive rather than learn from their mistake. They claim an obligation to “protect” their fellow man (I am your fellow man and I neither need nor want your protection) and call those who disagree with their philosophy “cowards” or imply that because we wouldn’t intervene in a bank robbery that we’d stand by and watch their wives beaten, their daughters raped or their homes pillaged but thank Gawd that a “sheep dog” like them was around to save ours.
    I couldn’t have called that one any better if my life depended on it.

Again, my point isn’t to say that we shouldn’t help our fellow man (although I do get concerned when it seems that someone’s whole life and self worth are wrapped up in being a "sheepdog”. My point is that as permit holders we shouldn’t assume authority or a “Duty to Respond” that we don’t have.

What happens when you for instance catch me shop lifting and attempt to "detain" me and I tell you to blow off? Are you going to whip out your GLOCK and detain me at gun point?

What happens when you’re walking through Wal Mart and you hear (but don’t see) a disturbance at the front door? Are you going to draw your piece and ride to the sound of the guns?

If you want to help someone out by all means be my guest but don’t walk the “mean streets” thinking your CHP makes you a Jr. G Man
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Blog Entries
    I'm going to answer this post with an exerpt from another post I made on the "sheepdog mindset.

I have also seen it stated that permit holders should have enough life insurance to cover this contingentcy, which isn't a bad idea in principle but I'm not going to go out and insure myself for half a million and then go piss my life away playing hero.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________________________

I also want to restate that the main point of this thread isnít whether or not we should help out our fellow man, we should within reason.

The topic here is that itís wrong for any permit holder to assume that having said permit endows him/her with any type of police authority.
    It's strange how you say we have no "police authority" yet you understand that we are the militia. If the militia is here to keep big brother in check, is that not a type of "police authority?"

That being said, I do agree that we are not cops. I will not uphold the laws of the powers that be, but at the same time, I will not allow a mugging, rape, assault, car theft, kidnapping or any other violent felony to occur because it is wrong to allow someone else to be put into danger if one has the power to stop it. And yes, I open myself to litigation by intervening. But in the end, I do what I want with my soul and I can choose to do what is morally right, regardless of what any "law" says. If all laws were upheld, as they should be, good samaritan laws would not be ignored and you would be held responsible for running away and saving your own ass if that hypothetical drug store robbery were to happen, provided the robber hurt someone.

To me and probably most others, your condoning cowardice and self-preservation while others may be getting hurt or killed is a sign of weakness and moral turpitude. Being a citizen of this great nation used to require sacrifice. Now it just requires one to do nothing except hold their hand out.

Blog Entries
    What happens when you’re walking through Wal Mart and you hear (but don’t see) a disturbance at the front door? Are you going to draw your piece and ride to the sound of the guns?

If you want to help someone out by all means be my guest but don’t walk the “mean streets” thinking your CHP makes you a Jr. G Man
    Pretty broad and stupid statements.

At the sound of a disturbance at the local walmart, will you try to sneak out the fire exit and save your own ass?

From the sounds of things, you need more sunlight. Or a padded cell. Look up Agoraphobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Your homegrown definition of a "sheepdog" is about on par with the liberal definition of "assault weapon." It's based on ignorance, emotion and backed up by _______________.

Blog Entries
    By all means, protect yourself. Just don't be a ***** and leave someone to suffer a horrible fate because you put a monetary value on their safety.

Hey people, take the quiz!

How much is your life worth? Are you in A.) $900-$4,000 tech school B.) $9,000-$14,500 resident state college or C.) $17,000-$45,000 private college range?

Take a guess and Treo will let you know where he draws the line, were you ever in need of help.

Treo, were you ever in need of help, I would risk the liability. Hell, if I even have to restrain a guy, because of my martial arts training, I come under intense scrutiny as my hands and feet are also considered deadly weapons. Besides, if my kids want to go to college, they can take responsibility and get a job at McDonalds, Subway or BK like every other 15 year old and save. Not to mention all the grants that are awarded for typing a report on just about any topic...never met a freeloader that went to college and became anything when they didn't have to work for it.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    . Hell, if I even have to restrain a guy, because of my martial arts training, I come under intense scrutiny as my hands and feet are also considered deadly weapons.
    Please quote a state law or legal precedent or retract your statement as the bullpoop it is
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Tricolor >>>>>

"Hell, if I even have to restrain a guy, because of my martial arts training, I come under intense scrutiny as my hands and feet are also considered deadly weapons."

Tri, for the most part I like your attitude and posts in consideration of your background.
    I am just surprised that with your training you talk/mention it so intensely. First off you then know there is someone out there much better trained or just in better shape(which goes a long way to winning)or just plain tougher(willing).
    I am saying talking about it lessens your credibility. Keep your MA training like your weapon (hmmm did she say that?) CONCEALED!
    My point is that simply restraining someone would not put you under such scrutiny if you just kept your mouth shut. How else would they know?
    Not attacking you, just preserving some credibility.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Food for thought for those who think people should come to the aid of a stranger...

Suppose I were to save your mother/sister/wife/daughter/son/brother/father from a rapist/killer but I lost my life doing it.

Will you make my mortgage payments so MY wife/kids have a place to live?

Will you buy my wife a car whenever she needs a new one? Pay the repair bills on it? Buy the gas to put in it?

Will you pay for my kid's college tuition/expenses so my kids get the good start in life I planned for them?

Will you send my wife $1000+ a month, every month for the rest of her life, to pay for food and the light/heating bill?

Well? Will ya?
    You think human lives should be equated to a dollar value? I don't. Nobody is saying what you should do. That is a choice only you can make. People are only stating what they personally would do. But I will say that I already swore to give my life so that you and your family could have a place to live, have a car, go to college and have light/heat. It's called the US military. Most people consider that risk of life to be honorable. Why should it be any less honorable if I'm still willing to risk and sacrifice for my fellow man even after I've retired from military service? Each person has to decide for themselves, and none should begrudge the other for that choice. Food for thought.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Food for thought for those who think people should come to the aid of a stranger...

Suppose I were to save your mother/sister/wife/daughter/son/brother/father from a rapist/killer but I lost my life doing it.

Will you buy my wife a car whenever she needs a new one? Pay the repair bills on it? Buy the gas to put in it?

Will you pay for my kid's college tuition/expenses so my kids get the good start in life I planned for them?

Will you send my wife $1000+ a month, every month for the rest of her life, to pay for food and the light/heating bill?

Well? Will ya?
    So if I watch your family be raped/killed and did nothing your response will be to say no big deal. .. At least my family is safe? I guess you will be saving on the tuition, car payments and anything else you would spend on them.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
    Nice attempt to deflect the focus from answering the question with ridicule. Didn't work....

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post

Well? Will ya?
    You think human lives should be equated to a dollar value? I don't. Nobody is saying what you should do. That is a choice only you can make. People are only stating what they personally would do. But I will say that I already swore to give my life so that you and your family could have a place to live, have a car, go to college and have light/heat. It's called the US military. Most people consider that risk of life to be honorable. Why should it be any less honorable if I'm still willing to risk and sacrifice for my fellow man even after I've retired from military service? Each person has to decide for themselves, and none should begrudge the other for that choice. Food for thought.
    Hmmmm.... you didn't answer my question...

I didn't say that human life has a dollar value.. I asked if folks would take over the responsibilities that I have as head of my family if I lost my life saving yours or your loved ones. A very simple question.

There are benefits extended to the family of fallen military. So what benefits can my family expect from you if I fall defending your life or the lives of your family?

The real food for thought isn't whether the choice to not intervene makes someone a wuss... the real food for thought is that when you decide to jump into a situation you are not only putting your life on the line but you are also putting the future of all of your family members on the line too.... because it would be rare indeed for anyone to offer the family of the guy who died saving them more than a "thanks", a fruit basket, and maybe a few bucks for the funeral.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast