Being A Permit Holder Does NOT Make You A Cop - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Being A Permit Holder Does NOT Make You A Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Hmmmm.... you didn't answer my question...

I didn't say that human life has a dollar value.. I asked if folks would take over the responsibilities that I have as head of my family if I lost my life saving yours or your loved ones. A very simple question.

There are benefits extended to the family of fallen military. So what benefits can my family expect from you if I fall defending your life or the lives of your family?

The real food for thought isn't whether the choice to not intervene makes someone a wuss... the real food for thought is that when you decide to jump into a situation you are not only putting your life on the line but you are also putting the future of all of your family members on the line too.... because it would be rare indeed for anyone to offer the family of the guy who died saving them more than a "thanks", a fruit basket, and maybe a few bucks for the funeral.
    Would you take a check to cover it?

Sent from behind enemy lines.

It’s odd to me that so many people have so much invested in the “Sheep Dog” identity that even when I state repeatedly that the topic at hand is more assuming authority you don’t have than failing to help your fellow man, they still make it about “If you don’t share my “Sheep Dog” ethos you’re a coward.” Even to the point of using the exact wording I predicted in my OP.

I really believe that some of you have so much of your self image invested in being a hero that you really would risk impoverishing your family to fulfill the ideal and that scares me because I don’t want to get caught in the cross fire when your big chance finally comes
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    Would you take a check to cover it?

No.... I'd prefer that in addition to writing checks you actually took my place as a father to my kids because their father died so you could still be a father to your kids....

(I'm sure someone will make mention of taking my place in other areas too... but the concept here is whether folks who won't protect themselves are willing to accept the responsibility of caring for the family of the guy who lost his life protecting them... or not.)

A general comment not directed at anyone in particular:

Even though I'm catching a lot of flack because folks are equating my posts to mean I'm a chicken... folks are missing the simple fact that when we decide to jump into something we not only risk our lives but we risk the future of the innocent people we left at home.

Now... I didn't say it wouldn't be a good thing to intervene... what I'm saying is I've had enough of all the chest thumping hero talk from people who are blind to the fact that there are more people involved than just them being a hero.

The people who have experienced stepping into the fray and had their families pay the price know what I'm talking about... but the internet bad asses assume anything other than fulfilling a teenage fantasy of being the hero means a person is a coward.

Again... the real coward is the one who wanders through life expecting other people to save them. It is the deluded who think jumping into a bad situation doesn't have consequences beyond a hero's ticker tape parade wander through life just looking for a chance to save one of those cowards. And never miss a chance to parade their obvious manly bad assery on the internet.

So I guess that's a "No" to the check...

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    So I guess that's a "No" to the check...

I guess that's a "No" to stepping in and making sure my kids have a father....

He already said he'd step in and make sure your kids have a father. It's his kids that are SOL
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.

I'll do what I can but I can't promise you ill do the right thing at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    He already said he'd step in and make sure your kids have a father. It's his kids that are SOL
    I have no children so it could actually be fun to have some around!
    Less chores for me!

I've asked this before but I'll throw it out again.

Would any of you folks that feel it's your civic duty to help uphold the law confront a shop lifter? Would you attempt to detain him ? How? What if he walks away?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Tricolor >>>>>

"Hell, if I even have to restrain a guy, because of my martial arts training, I come under intense scrutiny as my hands and feet are also considered deadly weapons."

Tri, for the most part I like your attitude and posts in consideration of your background.
    I am just surprised that with your training you talk/mention it so intensely. First off you then know there is someone out there much better trained or just in better shape(which goes a long way to winning)or just plain tougher(willing).
    I am saying talking about it lessens your credibility. Keep your MA training like your weapon (hmmm did she say that?) CONCEALED!
    My point is that simply restraining someone would not put you under such scrutiny if you just kept your mouth shut. How else would they know?
    Not attacking you, just preserving some credibility.
    Yeah, i get what you're saying. it would be all and well good advice except for a few things...I am an instructor (reduces the tuition by a good chunk) and teach cop's kids, they all know of me and in short, sometimes it's hard to hide your background. Besides that, I had a buddy (not a friend anymore) who used his training the wrong way and granted there were no witnesses, he wasn't talking to cops etc, they still found out. And with every business being ingrained into social media, no way in hell you can hide it anymore. You are bound to be in a picture sooner or later and on facebook. Computers may just be our undoing. Thanks for the thought, though.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast