Being A Permit Holder Does NOT Make You A Cop - Page 7
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Being A Permit Holder Does NOT Make You A Cop

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Again folks, the topic at hand isn't coming to the aid of someone else's family the topic is going out in your nieghborhood on the Fourth or July confronting evil fireworks shooters or "patroling" the neighborhood dressed in Black BDUs because you feel it's your "civc duty"

And I'm going to ask again who here would confront a shoplifter if they caught him in the act?
    (AND by confront I mean confront not go report it to a clerk which I think we all should do anyway)
    Ok Treo... I'll stop responding to the folks who are willing to leave their families destitute while they die being the hero...

Shoplifters? I'm not a cop, never played one of TV, and I have no responsibility to enforce the law. I'll report it to the store staff and make the video/audio recording that I always have running when I'm in public available to them for prosecution. But I wouldn't even say "Hi" to the shoplifter him/her self.

Why do I run a recorder? I open carry and a recording eliminates any "he said/she said" for false accusations of wrong doing. You know... the recording protects my family from destitution by protecting my freedom to continue providing for them.

Sorry Treo.... couldn't resist tying that in.

Don't carry a badge, I have a concealed handgun license and am not an LEO, as such, I carry for the same reason as an LEO, my and my families protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Shoplifters? I'm not a cop, never played one of TV, and I have no responsibility to enforce the law. I'll report it to the store staff and make the video/audio recording that I always have running when I'm in public available to them for prosecution. But I wouldn't even say "Hi" to the shoplifter him/her self.

That was the Genisis of this thread the guy that said we're all (on some level) LEO. if we have a duty (as some here have posited) to uphold the law isn't our duty to uphold all laws? If I'm going to jack you up for shooting off illegal fireworks (which would probably lead to a lynching for the shooter after the Waldo Canyon fire anyway) shouldn't I attempt to detain you if I catch you stealing? If I'm going to present my piece and fort up in a Wal*Mart over a disturbance I can't even see what about a breast feeding mom in McDonald's?

I mean if we're going to run around like busy bodies getting into everyone's business shouldn't it be across thew board?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    If they come INTO my house they are a threat and the threat will be immediately neutralized.
    If the bg immediately turns and starts to run when he sees me, they are no longer a threat. In NC, you cannot shoot if the threat no longer exists, i.e. the guy is running. A bullet hole in the bg's back will certianly not go well for the home owner in NC.

Same with when the guy goes down, you can't put one in him 'for good measure', also considered excessive use of deadly force.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Hmmmm.... you didn't answer my question...
    I didn't say that human life has a dollar value.. I asked if folks would take over the responsibilities that I have as head of my family if I lost my life saving yours or your loved ones. A very simple question.
    There are benefits extended to the family of fallen military. So what benefits can my family expect from you if I fall defending your life or the lives of your family?
    You aren't asking a question. You're trying to deflect the decision back at someone else. I said each person has to decide for themselves. That's a decision only you can make.
    The real food for thought isn't whether the choice to not intervene makes someone a wuss... the real food for thought is that when you decide to jump into a situation you are not only putting your life on the line but you are also putting the future of all of your family members on the line too.... because it would be rare indeed for anyone to offer the family of the guy who died saving them more than a "thanks", a fruit basket, and maybe a few bucks for the funeral.
    I'm not implying anyone is a wuss. Some people are more selfless than others. That's a simple and obvious fact. I'm one of those people and my family is well aware of it. They won't be expecting handouts from anyone else if something happens to me. Besides, their welfare is taken care of no matter what happens to me. You could lose your life tomorrow for any number of reasons. The need to have your family taken care of won't be any different. You aren’t going to refuse to drive to work because your boss hasn’t promised to make your mortgage or car payments or pay for your kid's college tuition if you get killed in a car accident on the way in. You should have their welfare taken care of no matter what happens to you, or why. Discussing another possible cause of death shouldn’t be a reason to suddenly start worrying if they’d be taken care of. And your boss wouldn’t take that question seriously either.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    I've asked this before but I'll throw it out again.

Would any of you folks that feel it's your civic duty to help uphold the law confront a shop lifter? Would you attempt to detain him ? How? What if he walks away?
    No. We aren't cops or security guards. We carry only to protect against loss of life or grievous bodily injury, our own or our families, or, optionally, those of others if so inclined.
    Posterity: you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it.--- John Quincy Adams
    Condensed Guide To Ohio Concealed Carry Laws

PS: BG or anyone else kicking my door in better have a plot and a funeral home.

Just a quick thought to throw out there..

I have a considerable amount of life insurance so my wife will be set should I die.
    No need for anything but a thank you and a fruit basket. The insurance will take care of the rest.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

10. I assume most of us who would step in to help someone in danger! means when they are being attack and in danger of great bodily harm or death, or rape-Great harm. no police around and no time to call before said harm happens. Then we would step in. NOT shoplifting, theft, Jaywalking. ECT-ECT. Theft is not worth killing for. That being said it can escalate to that point fast. a store security guard stops a theft suspect and the suspect pulls a gun and shoots him now its a felony, ( could have been with the right $ amount but not a forcible Felony) with the shooting its a forcible Felony. if the guy runs I am not shooting him, he attempts to shoot the guard a second time I am shooting him.
    a life is only thing I would shoot for. Yes he could and is a danger to other in his way but if he is not threatening a life when I have my gun out and is running away I would not shoot. Not a cop and not looking to be one Just do not want to be a victim and maybe help others not be killed.
    Most of us do not carry CC badges or hunt out places to be heros, So please save that BULL SHIXXXX. We are talking about why we carry gun w permits.
    To protect our self and family and others if it comes down to that so we are not helpless at the schools, movies, McDonalds, or streets from bad men.
    You throw up BS about shoplifters and Garbage. that is not what we do or want to do. there are reports every week where someone stands up to bad guys and helps someone or defends themselves or others.
    There is no blood in the streets and running wild w guns from CCW holders that never happened. so your say that we are jumping in to stop shoplifters all across the nation and in ever state cause we want to be cops. GUESS what that is not happening any where. You idea is the same as the antis with THERE WILL BE MORE KILLING FROM ALL THE GUNS.
    NOPE not happening. But there is a case going on about a shooting in FL w George Zimmerman. We all are waiting for that to go on. that is about as close as what your talking about. We will see how the court deals w that.
    self defense or man slaughter. I do not see George walking away from this a free man, too much media, and the riots
    that will happen will send him to jail. one man vs all the stuff after the case. No he is going to jail. right or wrong he is done. Justice in America. If he was black it would not have made the paper. There are Black on Black shooting ever day one in a pile of the others no story. The guns that do most of the shooting are no Ar-15s. They are cheap hand guns.
    And the guys doing the shooting are just out of jail. Going to jail or on bond. We have people in jail who should not be in jail. jail is not for rehabilitation and should not be used as such. It is to protect the people from dangerous people.
    I some times think the justice system is just there to make money. the cases go so long!!!! years!! do you think if it is right after the incident we would have better ideas of who was right and who is wrong? No lets drag it out till everyone is dead or forgets.

I read an article some time ago that explained that police is actually a fairly new "invention" and that it was never really intended to be the exclusive force against crime. Originally they were only meant to help the citizens with that, not completely take over.

Part of why there's more crime now than then is the fact that everybody is afraid of getting involved because he fears legal consequences. Unfortunately that is a real issue.

I am not suggesting to play hero, just saying the current "walk away and wait for the cops" attitude was not always there.
    Knarren und Zigarren!!!

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast