Explaing to your kids why you carry - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Explaing to your kids why you carry

Living in SW Idaho I enjoy the outdoors which includes camping, hiking, fishing, atv'ng, and hunting. My two kids were raised with a gun in the house and in the car so there was never any kind of mystery about guns. My kids are now 18 & 19 and are both gun owners. With that said, it was only about 4 years ago that I decided to start CC and it did not come without questions, even from my kids who are gun familiar. The simple truth was the best answer to give them: "There are people living out there who do bad things to good people. They rape and murder innocent people just like you & me. You read the news, you hear the news, and we have the right, and the responsability, to protect ourselves". And I also taught them when they were just little kids the same thing, that there are evil people out there who want to hurt them. "Don't talk to strangers", "Don't get in a car with a stranger", "Don't take candy from a stranger", etc. So how do you tell your 9 & 10 year olds that you carry and why? Just tell them the facts. And by all means, if you haven't already, teach them gun safety.

3. That's a tough one. My children were older by the time my wife and I got our CHLs. Firearms have always been around my family, so the act of carrying isn't a big deal. I probably wouldn't discuss it with them. I just don't see why they'd need to know. Just make sure they're locked up and safe. The weapons...not the children:-)

It's not a big deal to kids unless you make it one!
    From reading some of these posts you'd think some people are afraid it would traumatize their children by telling them.

My kids could care less about the fact that momma & daddy carry. Since they don't care, it's a NON issue. They don't ever talk about it unless they see or hear of something bad happening and come tell us about it.

-
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I've heard this several times but have never read the ruling myself. Do you know what the name of the case was for future reference?
    No fewer than ten (10) Supreme Court rulings have affirmed that personal protection is the obligation of the individual citizen - not the police. The clearest opinion came in the SCOTUS ruling, City of Castle Rock, Colorado v Gonzales:

"You, and only you, are responsible for your security and the security of your family and loved ones. That was the essence of a U.S. Supreme Court decision in the early 1980's when they ruled that the police do not have a duty to protect you as an individual, but to protect society as a whole. It is well-settled fact of American law that the police have no legal duty to protect any individual citizen from crime, even if the citizen has received death threats and the police have negligently failed to provide protection" (emphasis added).

In addition to the Supreme Court rulings, the universal drawdown of law enforcement across the country means that there are fewer officers available to respond to such situations, and that the response time needed to marshal the remaining officers will be correspondingly longer. This makes the 2012 federal appeals court ruling in Woollard v Sheridan even more critical:

"As Judge Niemeyer points out, the Heller Court`s description of its holding as applying to the home, where the need "for defense of self, family, and property is most acute," suggests that the right also applies in some form "where that need is not `most acute.'" Id. at 468 (Niemeyer, J., concurring) (quoting Heller, 554 U.S. at 628). This reasoning is consistent with the Supreme Court`s historical understanding of the right to keep and bear arms as "an individual right protecting against both public and private violence." Heller, 554 U.S. at 594. In addition to self-defense, the right was also understood to allow for militia membership and hunting. See id. at 598. To secure these rights, the Second Amendment`s protections must extend beyond the home: neither hunting nor militia training is a household activity, and "self-defense has to take place wherever [a] person happens to be." Masciandaro, 638 F.3d at 468 (Niemeyer, J., concurring) (quoting Eugene Volokh, Implementing the Right to Keep and Bear Arms for Self-Defense: An Analytical Framework and a Research Agenda, 56 UCLA L. REV. 1443, 1515-18 (2009))" (emphasis added).
    "People should not fear their governments...governments should fear their people!"

6. My 10 year old girl likes to shoot.Guns are far from a mystery to her. If she ever wants to hold,look at or shoot a gun all she needs to do is ask me.I am a firm believer that this policy keeps kids from sneaking around and playing with guns when no adults are present. This is when disaster happens. She knows that I carry a gun for our protection. she doesnt even look twice when I put on my edc Glock. She is also aware that nobody but her and daddy need to know that i'm armed :)

7. My family revolves around guns so carrying one is nothing out of the ordinary. Last year at a graduation party in a small town community building there appeared to be 4 car loads of "party crashers" who were cruising the town square. As they approached several of the "mature" guys just sort of lined up in front of the door. Didn't even have to speak as the unwanted individuals turned and left. During the "after action debrief" one of the city cousins asked what the next step would have been and what if the strangers had a "weapon". My Son looked at him and said in a little snicker "Dad's got his vest on". City cousin finally figured out what that meant. I doubt it would have come to that or that I was alone in being armed. The line in front of the door included 3 active duty National Guardsmen, a state corrections officer, and at least 3(that I know of) CCW licensees. That was probably the most heavily armed grad party in the state.

I only recently started carrying, and I did explain to my son why... He's only six so I kept it simple: "There are bad guys in the world, and I want to keep you safe." He understood that well enough. I also told him it was a secret, just between him and me and Daddy. He has a tendency to blurt things out to random people, and all I need is for him to announce to the checker at the grocery store "Mommy has a gun!"
    Modern Whig
    "Government is not meant to burden Liberty but rather to secure it." -T.J. O'Hara

Quote Originally Posted by ffrandy View Post
    I got my LTCF about a month ago. I have been trying to figure out how to explain why I am carrying a gun. They are 10 and 9. Also do you tell them its a secret and not to tell anyone?
    Have you owned or shot firearms before you started carrying? If so, then I'm hoping they would already know. Taking your question into consideration, I'm assuming you are new to firearms as well.

If this is the case, then a good first step would be to take them to the range with you. Let them see their parent shoot. This is a good opportunity to teach them safety as well. The ride home then can give a good opportunity to a captive audience as to why you carry and why you have decided to later in life. If they are curious, indulge their curiosity. Take off the gun unload, and let them handle it. If you don't make a big deal about carrying it, they won't make it a big deal either.

As far as telling others, let them know that there are people who do not like guns, this is why you carry concealed. (I'm assuming you are CC otherwise you wouldn't ask them to keep it a secret).

Therefore, they should keep this information only between the family.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by ffrandy View Post
    I got my LTCF about a month ago. I have been trying to figure out how to explain why I am carrying a gun. They are 10 and 9. Also do you tell them its a secret and not to tell anyone?
    Haven't read through the post so my response may be a bit redundant.
    -
    Explaing to your kids why you carry?
    The response should be fairly easy; because there are people out there that WILL want to do you and me harm. Although few, they are out there.
    I carry to protect you and our family.
    -
    After they get into their teens explain, and of course after extensive gun training, reiterate that these mass shootings and evil people can be stopped. That you do not have to be a innocent bystander or victim. You have the ability to engage these people and stop the threat.
    _
    Side note....Was watching a nearly five year old shooting a .22 cal AR with scope mount. We were so proud of the parents and impressed with this girl, we had to say hello and say how impressed we were that they were teaching their child the basic fundamentals of shooting.
    -
    For the Lib responders..........Education is the key. Teach your children the "Right" education, you enable your next generation to defend themselves. Anything else is counter productive to this growing immoral population.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

It was my children who explained to me why I should carry. I listened to them,thought about it,looked into it,found a basic handgun course decided I liked it. I looked around until I found a handgun I liked and was comfortable with and took another handgun course with it.When I was satisfied with my progress I took a ccw class and got my license. I continue to take various training classes.My children are now happy and so am I because it shut them up and I feel safer.
    "A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
    "Never fight an old man, if he can't fight you he'll just shoot you"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast