Help from Phllly or PA residents

Thread: Help from Phllly or PA residents

1. Help from Phllly or PA residents

Take it for what it's worth I got this from the wife of a Philly LEO well, actually from my wife who knows the women. Anyway she was telling my wife that her husband has to qualify with his service weapon every year which is common but, she also said he has to qualify with his personal weapons as well if he's to carry them off duty and that means if he has 10 off duty or personal weapons then he needs to qualify with all 10 if he's to carry them. She was telling my wife it's something they are trying to do don't know if it's already in place or she's mixed up or what. Anyone hear of this or could shed some light because I wonder if they are going to require us CCWers to do the same. Not that I worry about qualifying but the expense of it. Oh if I didn't mention it would be every year you have to qualify with each gun you plan to carry. Thanks

Help from Phllly or PA residents

I live in PA and have my CCW and have never heard of it. For a LEO they have to qualify as part of their job other than that never heard of a non-LEO having to. Checked the PA AG web sight and nothing there on it.

I think what he is referring to isn't his LTCF as a citizen. Private citizens need no qualify with their firearms. I think that is the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act” she is talking about that allows off duty and retired LEOs to carry across state lines but they must qualify.
    “If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time.” ~ Randy Pausch

First off, I moved out of Virginia back in 1996, so things may have changed. However when I lived in Virginia, Greene County;I had to qualify with each handgun I intended to carry and the model and serial # was on the back of the permit. I was not LEO , this was for a citizen who had his CWP.

Police are more likely to use their off-duty guns much more that we are. They work special events and security. If I was a cop I would pick out 3 guns to use most as CCW and qualify with them. Due to the fact that we have less chance of using our weapons we need not qualify every year. In fact making CCW people qualify every year should be considered a ruse to get people to spend money. Get your CCW and practice at the range.

Quote Originally Posted by njsportsman View Post
    Take it for what it's worth I got this from the wife of a Philly LEO well, actually from my wife who knows the women. Anyway she was telling my wife that her husband has to qualify with his service weapon every year which is common but, she also said he has to qualify with his personal weapons as well if he's to carry them off duty and that means if he has 10 off duty or personal weapons then he needs to qualify with all 10 if he's to carry them. She was telling my wife it's something they are trying to do don't know if it's already in place or she's mixed up or what. Anyone hear of this or could shed some light because I wonder if they are going to require us CCWers to do the same. Not that I worry about qualifying but the expense of it. Oh if I didn't mention it would be every year you have to qualify with each gun you plan to carry. Thanks
    The LEO will need to qualify once per year with his duty weapon. IF HE SO CHOOSES, he must also qualify with any other weapon that he will carry on his person (ankle, pocket, etc). If he does not qualify with a weapon, he is disallowed from having it while on duty. This has nothing to do with LTCF in the state of PA.

For example, if his duty weapon was a Glock G22, and he wanted to keep a G23 on his ankle, he must qualify for both. However, if he has a 1911 at home that he doesn't take on duty, then he does not need to qualify with it.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Quote Originally Posted by pmb61 View Post
    First off, I moved out of Virginia back in 1996, so things may have changed. However when I lived in Virginia, Greene County;I had to qualify with each handgun I intended to carry and the model and serial # was on the back of the permit. I was not LEO , this was for a citizen who had his CWP.
    In PA we do not register our firearms. By giving your serial #, you have registered your firearm. There is no course or qualifying measure we need to take in PA for us to attain a LTCF as civilians.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Carrying off duty using the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act” and being able to carry in all states I believe takes special requirements.
    I have a friend that is retired from a PD on Long Island. He chose to get his regular citizen LTCF rather then go back to Long Island every year with his personal weapons in order to use the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act”.

Like was mentioned as a private citizen we don't have a annual qualification or the registration of private firearms. Using the “Law Enforcement Officers’ Safety Act” may have different and universal qualifications nationwide.
    “If I only had three words of advice, they would be, Tell the Truth. If got three more words, I'd add, all the time.” ~ Randy Pausch