Stopped by a cop, what to do? - Page 5
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped by a cop, what to do?

Actually my point of "training" is not only how to use the gun... but what not to do during a conflict with your gun. Firearms are the "last" options, no more. Even taking your pistol out from its holster in public to show to someone could be a crime if a cop sees you. I still am for the training, again, not only how to use the gun but what NOT to do during a situation. Those classes usually shows how to avoid using your firearms. Samples the instructors give makes lots of sense, while most of us think grabbing the gun and start shooting. Classes are not expensive, if you can afford buying ammo for practice, you should be able to afford a day of class and get a permit. Gun shops still check your background regardless you have a permit or not, so you still in a database somewhere as a purchaser, having a card doesn't make a difference in addition, but helps us to carry some other states and helps us during a stop by LEO.

Quote Originally Posted by ZIG1911 View Post
    Actually my point of "training" is not only how to use the gun... but what not to do during a conflict with your gun. Firearms are the "last" options, no more. Even taking your pistol out from its holster in public to show to someone could be a crime if a cop sees you. I still am for the training, again, not only how to use the gun but what NOT to do during a situation. Those classes usually shows how to avoid using your firearms. Samples the instructors give makes lots of sense, while most of us think grabbing the gun and start shooting. Classes are not expensive, if you can afford buying ammo for practice, you should be able to afford a day of class and get a permit. Gun shops still check your background regardless you have a permit or not, so you still in a database somewhere as a purchaser, having a card doesn't make a difference in addition, but helps us to carry some other states and helps us during a stop by LEO.
    Again, it's been my experience that those who would benefit from such training will seek it out for themselves and those who are forced to take it won't benefit at all.

most of us think grabbing the gun and start shooting.
    You are hangng around the wrong crowd of carriers man.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

4. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Rules of common sense when a cop stops you. Keep both hands visible, and try to be nice to the cop. Most cops are very nice back to you if you follow those little steps. Conflict in any kind wont' help anything, even if he or she gives you a ticket. I live in Arizona, so far one of the good states in US to carry guns, open or concealed... I do have a CC permit, and I will renew it when time comes. I don't like the law just passed here though, anyone can have a pistol without a CC permit now... which probably a mistake, because they do teach fundamentals during the class I believe everyone with a firearm should know.
    It has been my overall experience that the type of person that would benefit from safety training will seek it out on their own anyway and the type of person that would not benefit wouldn’t put any of what he/she learned in the class into practice anyway.

I have never purchased a brand new firearm that didn’t come with an instruction manual and most firearms companies will send you one for free.

Several states require absolutely no training or demonstration of competency what so ever. You do not even have to demonstrate that you have ever even fired a gun before being issued a permit. All you have to do is pay the fee and submit to a background check and you walk out the door legal to carry a concealed firearm.

So, if state mandated training is so important to the safety of the gun carrying public why don’t we have disproportionately higher firearms accident (not willful negligence or criminal misuse but accidents) rates in those states?
    I have always said the exact same thing. I think it has been proven by various surveys that those who don't know anything about guns wouldn't want to carry one and those who want to also want to seek training in how to efficiently use one.

And yes, I think any person who carries a gun should WANT to be trained in using it, but I 100% disagree in mandatory training. Anyone who says they think a certification process should be required is also saying "I think the 2nd amendment should be amended to say 'the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...barring that they take a concealed weapons training class and get certified.' " The definition of an infringement is any act that limits or undermines something. Well requiring certification is limiting or undermining those who do not have the time or money or both to take such a course, and keeping them from being able to take advantage of their 2nd amendment right.

When they talked about getting rid of the CWP process here in SC, one of the biggest arguments was that it would eliminate a major portion of the revenue that SLED brings in from CWP applications. Well if that's the soul reason you have the CWP process then that is just blatant exploitation of the people's want to take advantage of their 2nd amendment right. Lets shut down everyone's Facebook account and not allow them back on until they purchase a Free Speech Permit and see how that goes over.

I know it's going to probably twist some folks panties here, but I've been pulled over for traffic when it was raining like hell outside and offered my passenger seat to the cop so he could do his business out of the rain. Eeeeeek!!!

I have been stopped two times while carrying and both times I handled it this way. D/L, CCW, registration and insurance in hand, at the window. The other hand on steering wheel, in plain sight. "Good afternoon. I'd like to declare a loaded weapon in my vehicle." Both times I offered to surrender the weapon, both times the cop asked where it was and left the gun in my possession without further incident. Didn't get me out of the ticket, but it was a non issue after that.

This goes to my position that I have nothing to fear from an encounter with a LEO. I'm not doing anything illegal, (except for perpetual speeding), and I'm not wanted for anything. It's not the end of days that the cops found out my name.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed​ lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin

6. I think the rules for gaining the respect of a police officer apply to only those 30 and over. Being a 23 year old who looks like I'm 18 or 19, 20 at best, I may as well have just committed murder and took them on a 2 hour chase.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    When they talked about getting rid of the CWP process here in SC, one of the biggest arguments was that it would eliminate a major portion of the revenue that SLED brings in from CWP applications. Well if that's the soul reason you have the CWP process then that is just blatant exploitation of the people's want to take advantage of their 2nd amendment right.
    So far (knock on wood) i have never been stopped while carrying or with a gun in my vehicle. The last time I was stopped was while driving in Illinois. At that time I did not have my Conceal Carry which was over 12 years ago. Since then I always try to obey ALL traffic laws. I set the cruise to the speed limit and make sure all lights are working. After reading all the posts I have a VERY good idea in what I should do.
    Treo makes a very good case. I agree that standing up for your rights on the side of a lonely road could be very bad. There was another thread about a couple of rookie cops who shot and killed an old man and it's being called a "terrible accident"! I do believe standing up for your rights but you could end up "dead" right.

As for Andy's quote about SC reason that SC kept their CWP, this could sway Illinois to expand their gun bill (if they ever pass it) because the state is broke. If they pass a Conceal Carry bill there could be a FLOOD of applicants for their permit. I was born and raised in Southern IL and know just about every guy and some gals in my home county would want to get theirs!

Interested to know if you were in Peoria - red tile roof part or ghetto/barrio part...or another city in the Valley. I was pulled over by a young DPS officer a few months ago for speeding out on the rezlands...gave him the papers including the CC permit. He asked where the pistol was. Told him. He said, "You're not gonna shoot me with it are you?" Told him no...that was the end of that. We wound up having a nice conversation. Turned out he was buying a house in town I used to own. No ticket.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Riverkilt View Post
    Interested to know if you were in Peoria - red tile roof part or ghetto/barrio part...or another city in the Valley. I was pulled over by a young DPS officer a few months ago for speeding out on the rezlands...gave him the papers including the CC permit. He asked where the pistol was. Told him. He said, "You're not gonna shoot me with it are you?" Told him no...that was the end of that. We wound up having a nice conversation. Turned out he was buying a house in town I used to own. No ticket.
    See it seems as though he had a sense of humor about the same issue I'm talking about. He realized that even a criminal is going to answer that question the same way you did. So either ask sarcastically or don't ask at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I think the rules for gaining the respect of a police officer apply to only those 30 and over. Being a 23 year old who looks like I'm 18 or 19, 20 at best, I may as well have just committed murder and took them on a 2 hour chase.
    Interesting viewpoint. Your state isn't listed, so I can't make any assumptions, but the following is much more prevalent in some areas of the country. A SMALL chunk of advice from an old guy is the simple insertion of "Sir" or Ma'am" in your answers to a LEO. I'm not saying you don't. They say it's hard to change a first impression. Having the right attitude, the proper documentation and realizing that they are just doing their job goes a LONG way.
    -
    Personally, I drive with my gun concealed and my wallet handy (center console or cup holder)without having to dig in a back pocket. Seeing someone fidget around right after being pulled over is a sure way to put the officer on guard. IMHO, all cops profile people. I'm not saying that they pull over certain people, but as a matter of situational awareness they have to know what they are dealing with. Once they are at your window they have already observed your reaction to the lights and sirens, what you did after stopping, what you are driving, possibly what you are wearing, now they see you and have to put together a quick assessment. First impressions. (depending on where you live, an NRA sticker and/or and Obama sticker will get opposite reactions )

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    A SMALL chunk of advice from an old guy is the simple insertion of "Sir" or Ma'am" in your answers to a LEO.
    Not going to happen.

The only people I call "sir" or "ma'am" are:
    • my parents.
    • superior military officers.
    • the occasional customer.

My father's dead and I'm no longer in the Army.

I do NOT consider police my superiors. I simply refuse to engage in ritualized acts of submission toward them.

They get called, "officer", "trooper" or whatever their actual TITLE is.

I'm not calling some KID, twenty years younger than I am "sir" merely because he gets a government paycheck.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast