Stopped by a cop, what to do? - Page 6
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped by a cop, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I do NOT consider police my superiors. I simply refuse to engage in ritualized acts of submission toward them.

They get called, "officer", "trooper" or whatever their actual TITLE is.
    I can see your point, and understand. The post I was replying to was from a young guy who would probably not be in the same "twenty years younger" situation, and your "officer" and "trooper" would serve the same purpose of respecting their position. While you can think of it as slave-like submitting, appeasing or whatever, you are actually submitting to their authority by pulling over for them. I am only talking about being respectful, maybe I was brought up differently. I used "sir" and "ma'am" way before I joined up.
    -
    I am a father of 3, 15, 17 & 22. All are girls, and when the boys come calling I profile them as well. The use of "sir" or "Mr." (my oldest actually made one call me "Chief" because he was enlisting ) can help my opinion of them regardless of their appearance. I do not think this is being "submissive", just respectful. Trust me, there have also been those that try to avoid me, answer questions with "yeah", 'uh-huh" and other phrases that annoy me coming from someone I don't even know. Those are the ones that are reminded that I have a gun, a shovel, a big yard and an air-tight alibi!

With the right tonal inflection "Sir" or "Mr" can sound just like a cuss word! Same goes for "Officer" and "Trooper". I'm polite but not subservient. After all they do work for us. If I'm treated respectfully they get it back.
    Just sayin'.
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

Not going to happen.

The only people I call "sir" or "ma'am" are:
    • my parents.
    • superior military officers.
    • the occasional customer.

My father's dead and I'm no longer in the Army.

I do NOT consider police my superiors. I simply refuse to engage in ritualized acts of submission toward them.

I'm not calling some KID, twenty years younger than I am "sir" merely because he gets a government paycheck.
    I hear you, but when you're dealing with someone who can, whether rightfully or wrongfully, change your life dramatically, sometimes you have to, as I refer to it, "play the game." For example:

My dad, even 'way back then, did not hold the public school system in high regard. However, he was emphatic about the need to have that diploma, so "play the game."

He also told me not to run from the police. After all, I was (taxe$) paying them to chase me.

So, if a sir or a ma'am impresses the person behind the badge, I can "play the game." If the results are more favorable to me than they might have been without the sir or ma'am, I WIN!

And, Chief, when my daughters were growing up, we told them "We've got acreage. If you bring a loser home, he just might disappear." It apparently worked... :-)
    Lewis - NRA Life - Oregon Firearms Federation - National Assoc. for Gun Rights

Gun control is NOT about guns, it's about CONTROL.

Quote Originally Posted by gejoslin View Post
    With the right tonal inflection "Sir" or "Mr" can sound just like a cuss word! Same goes for "Officer" and "Trooper". I'm polite but not subservient. After all they do work for us. If I'm treated respectfully they get it back.
    Just sayin'.
    If I had a nickel for every time I heard that along with "I pay your salary" on the job.... My usual responses were "Thank you" or "I pay my taxes also so that must mean I'm self employed".
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

Thats how I invision doing it myself if I ever get pulled over, if it's a night I would turn on my inside dome light...

7. Quote Originally Posted by deanimator View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    a small chunk of advice from an old guy is the simple insertion of "sir" or ma'am" in your answers to a leo.
    not going to happen.

The only people i call "sir" or "ma'am" are:
    • my parents.

my father's dead and i'm no longer in the army.

I do not consider police my superiors. I simply refuse to engage in ritualized acts of submission toward them.

They get called, "officer", "trooper" or whatever their actual title is.

I'm not calling some kid, twenty years younger than i am "sir" merely because he gets a government paycheck.
    a-f&@$ing-men!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K7lvo View Post
    I hear you, but when you're dealing with someone who can, whether rightfully or wrongfully, change your life dramatically, sometimes you have to, as I refer to it, "play the game."
    You only have to "play the game" if you play the game.

The most vociferous advocates of fawning servility toward the police are also the biggest self-admitted scofflaws, troublemakers, and general lowlifes that I've seen.

The only person who NEEDS a cop for a friend is a criminal.

The way to avoid speeding and traffic tickets (and most legal difficulties) is to obey the speed limit and the traffic laws, and laws in general, NOT by playing "Step 'n Fetchit".

If you give the cops something to use against you, they will.

My advice is, DON'T.

Not going to happen.

The only people I call "sir" or "ma'am" are:
    • my parents.

My father's dead and I'm no longer in the Army.

I'm not calling some KID, twenty years younger than I am "sir" merely because he gets a government paycheck.
    I usually don't call anybody "sir or "ma'am", but if I thought it'd get me out of a ticket, I'd call them "sir", "ma'am", "sweetie", "honey", or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy Reist View Post
    I usually don't call anybody "sir or "ma'am", but if I thought it'd get me out of a ticket, I'd call them "sir", "ma'am", "sweetie", "honey", or whatever.
    I've found that an almost foolproof way of beating speeding tickets is not to speed.

I've found that an almost foolproof way of beating speeding tickets is not to speed.
    I get ya and I agree, but there are other things to get pulled over for. Do you check all your lights and turn signals before you drive? I know I don't, and that is just an example.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast