Stopped by a cop, what to do? - Page 7
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Stopped by a cop, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    I get ya and I agree, but there are other things to get pulled over for. Do you check all your lights and turn signals before you drive? I know I don't, and that is just an example.
    For the most part, yes. Regardless, I'd rather have the ticket and my dignity than the ticket without my dignity.

YMMV.

3. AndeyHall has this right. I would like to have been the one to say this first but I never put it together as well as AndyHall. This is the difference between a right and a privilege.

4. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I have always said the exact same thing. I think it has been proven by various surveys that those who don't know anything about guns wouldn't want to carry one and those who want to also want to seek training in how to efficiently use one.

And yes, I think any person who carries a gun should WANT to be trained in using it, but I 100% disagree in mandatory training. Anyone who says they think a certification process should be required is also saying "I think the 2nd amendment should be amended to say 'the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed...barring that they take a concealed weapons training class and get certified.' " The definition of an infringement is any act that limits or undermines something. Well requiring certification is limiting or undermining those who do not have the time or money or both to take such a course, and keeping them from being able to take advantage of their 2nd amendment right.

When they talked about getting rid of the CWP process here in SC, one of the biggest arguments was that it would eliminate a major portion of the revenue that SLED brings in from CWP applications. Well if that's the soul reason you have the CWP process then that is just blatant exploitation of the people's want to take advantage of their 2nd amendment right. Lets shut down everyone's Facebook account and not allow them back on until they purchase a Free Speech Permit and see how that goes over.
    AndeyHall has this right. I would like to have been the one to say this first but I never put it together as well as AndyHall. This is the difference between a right and a privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I've found that an almost foolproof way of beating speeding tickets is not to speed.
    That works too. And I've only got one speeding ticket since I was in my early 20s and that was last year. I think it was about 55 in a 35 MPH zone and it cost me over $200.

Interesting viewpoint. Your state isn't listed, so I can't make any assumptions, but the following is much more prevalent in some areas of the country. A SMALL chunk of advice from an old guy is the simple insertion of "Sir" or Ma'am" in your answers to a LEO. I'm not saying you don't. They say it's hard to change a first impression. Having the right attitude, the proper documentation and realizing that they are just doing their job goes a LONG way.
    -
    Personally, I drive with my gun concealed and my wallet handy (center console or cup holder)without having to dig in a back pocket. Seeing someone fidget around right after being pulled over is a sure way to put the officer on guard. IMHO, all cops profile people. I'm not saying that they pull over certain people, but as a matter of situational awareness they have to know what they are dealing with. Once they are at your window they have already observed your reaction to the lights and sirens, what you did after stopping, what you are driving, possibly what you are wearing, now they see you and have to put together a quick assessment. First impressions. (depending on where you live, an NRA sticker and/or and Obama sticker will get opposite reactions )
    Good point! I have an NRA sicker and an obummer sticker. My obummer sticker has been on the back window of my truck since Feb 2008! It is as follows.
    One
    Big
    Ass
    Mistake
    America

My wife says I'm going to get shot at because of the sicker and I tell her then I WILL shoot back!!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    I get ya and I agree, but there are other things to get pulled over for. Do you check all your lights and turn signals before you drive? I know I don't, and that is just an example.
    For the most part, yes. Regardless, I'd rather have the ticket and my dignity than the ticket without my dignity.

YMMV.
    Not me. The way I find out if I have a taillight or turn signal out is when I get pulled over and the cop tells me. That's sometimes how I figure out my tag has expired also ;)

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Not me. The way I find out if I have a taillight or turn signal out is when I get pulled over and the cop tells me. That's sometimes how I figure out my tag has expired also ;)
    Sounds like you're a traffic officer's wet dream.
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Same here Andey. I don't speed and I don't run red lights or stop signs. Did all that when I was much younger. Last time I was stopped and the first time I had my CHCL checked, a local cop lit me me up to find out my tags had expired. As per law here I informed him I had my weapon. Gave him my permit and DL and insurance. He asked where my sidearm was. Handed my permit back, checked my DL and insurance. Two mins later handed my papers back and told me to register my tags and have safe day.
    No fuss, no muss, no ticket. Gotta love small towns!
    ~Responsible people who understand that their personal protection is up to them, provide themselves with protection. Those that don't have only themselves to blame.~Proud NRA ~SAF~GoA Member~

The advice I was given - and its worked well so far - is if you're pulled over for speeding tell the officer, "I was wrong." How many folks admit guilt in a humble way....I made a mistake...I know better...just let my mind drift thinking about work, or was grooving to the tunes....however you couch it say the words, "I was wrong." You're saying you get it now.

Object is to get a warning not a ticket. Tickets for speeding affect your insurance rates. Who cares who wins the testosterone infused "Two dogs sniffing" contest? Think of the money you'll save on insurance that you can use to buy ammo.

And don't try to tell the cop who you know on the force...he'll just say, "Then you should know better." Instead, if you wanna try that take the lead first, "I should know better...my neighbor Officer Jones is always telling me about the horrific collisions he has to deal with."

Course, you're welcome to huff and puff and quote the constitution all you want if you don't mind the higher insurance rate.

Quote Originally Posted by grizzerr View Post
    Sounds like you're a traffic officer's wet dream.
    Hey, we pay their salary, why not use them as vehicle maintenance and registration reminders?

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast