Stopped by a cop, what to do?
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stopped by a cop, what to do?

Stopped by a cop, what to do?

I CC my Zig 1911 .45 cal for a long time now. I am pretty much law abiding citizen with clean record (not even a speeding ticket). During our instructional classes, it was always mentioned what to do during a pull over by a cop... although I was ready for it, never practiced in real life situation until yesterday.
    Here is what I did, pretty much a book-perfect reaction...
    I was stopped, the cop came over and asked the question "do you know why I stopped you", while my both hands on the wheel, I tried to guess, but it was something other than what I guessed... very honest mistake on my right turn. He asked my driving license and registration, I didn't have registration (I still don't know where the heck I put that), I gave my license, conceal carry permit and insurance papers. He asked if I have the firearm with me, again while my both hands on the wheel, I said yes, he asked where it was, I told him it was on my right hip... During our conversation, I kept my hands on sight, and kept my cool, I respectfully answered the questions. He told me to get out of my car, I did, turn around, I did, and he took my gun from my hip, he said I could go into car and wait for him, and I did.
    It took about 5-7 minutes, he came back from other side of my car, opened the passenger door, looked inside with the flashlight first, then replaced my pistol next to the passenger seat, under the door side... closed the door and said he won't give me ticket at this time, I have to be careful on my turns, and said I could take the gun where it is right now after he left.
    Since this was my first time stopped with my pistol on me, I wanted to share it with you. During a stop, either you get a ticket or not, it is very important to keep your cool, and respect the cop(s) during the whole time.

rayporsche Guest
    And that is the way it should go every time.....

Don't care too much for taking the weapon but guess it depends on where you are located.
    If it doesn't fit, FORCE it! If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway.

Well done.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2
    Hi-Caliber Training & Tactics
    "Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready."- Theodore Roosevelt

6. I agree, very well done.

Only Monday Morning Quarterbacking I would give is when he asked, "Do you know why I pulled you over?"; the correct answer is, "No Sir".

If you say, "I was going a bit too fast". You have just confessed. There is really no point in trying to guess either. He is not going to say, "You're right! Thanks for playing and have a nice day".

I have been pulled over twice while carrying. Once on school grounds. (Kentucky has a parking lot exemption so I was ok). Both times I handed them my CCDW and my drivers license and told them where I was carrying. Both LEO's said, "Just keep it there and we will be ok". I should mention that I got away with no ticket on either one. In Kentucky, reporting is not mandatory but I think that when someone does report, the feel like you are a law-abiding citizen. Of course, it helps that I'm a middle aged man. My young and scruffy son has not had similar pleasant experiences with the LEO's.

In Iowa, we don't have to inform. In this case, I wouldn't have until he asked me to get out of the car, which again, he wouldn't have to begin with.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

Assumption is he ran your weapon serial number through NCIC. While I believe you did right, it just grates my back side that your fourth Amendment Rights were violated. What PC did he have to run your weapon?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

I honestly didn't think he could run registry check for my pistol... but, it doesn't matter since it is registered under my name. Since I had nothing to hide, it probably is very easy to keep it cool, and follow the rules. and I think that's why everyone should follow the rules as much as they can(!) to avoid unfortunate situation such as getting arrested.

Which rules?????? The Constitution? What State do you reside in?
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by rayporsche View Post
    And that is the way it should go every time.....
    Agree. Methinks Zig1911 has read a little too much into many comments where it appears that the LEOs out there are gestapo just waiting to shoot you on the spot. I'm exaggerating with my last statement but I can just "feel" the anxiety in Zig's thread. Glad it went well and as rayporsche says--"that is the way it should go every time".

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast