moving to North Carolina - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: moving to North Carolina

1. NC recognizes a permit from any state. If you have a permit, the firearm can be concealed in the car without issue. If you are pulled over, you must inform the officer that you have a permit and that you have a firearm in the car. They will most likely ask where and you need to tell them. It is only if you do NOT have a permit that the firearm must be visible.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    I guess what I'm getting at is, in SC, just having a CWP does not grant you extra privileges in a car. The only difference is you can have the gun on you. But if it's not on you, then you have to follow the same rules as everybody else.
    I'd look into it further, whenever I'm in NC my gun is on me as my permit is valid there, may be the best option. BUT my opinion would be that it doesn't matter where it is, as you have permission to conceal a gun in NC already. Seems most of people's issues in NC is walking the line of "concealing" without permits.

Found this while looking, seems good just not sure if it went into affect yet.
    http://www.wral.com/house-votes-to-r...n-nc/12417880/

4. Quote Originally Posted by jaya View Post
    NC recognizes a permit from any state. If you have a permit, the firearm can be concealed in the car without issue. If you are pulled over, you must inform the officer that you have a permit and that you have a firearm in the car. They will most likely ask where and you need to tell them. It is only if you do NOT have a permit that the firearm must be visible.
    Thanks! I carry in the center console usually when I'm in the car for 2 reasons...1) because if I'm wearing a seatbelt it's easier to get to there and 2) in SC we don't have to notify if the gun is not on our person.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Ok, so I'm in SC with an SC CWP, but I want to travel through NC, but I don't want the gun on me. Like when I'm driving in SC I usually like to have it in the center console. Can I do that with an SC CWP?

I guess what I'm getting at is, in SC, just having a CWP does not grant you extra privileges in a car. The only difference is you can have the gun on you. But if it's not on you, then you have to follow the same rules as everybody else.
    While in NC, your SC permit is honored, and you have all the privileges and restrictions that I have with my NC CHP. My CHP allows me to conceal in my vehicle, in my reach, center console, under the seat, or door pocket.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

6. Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    I'd look into it further, whenever I'm in NC my gun is on me as my permit is valid there, may be the best option. BUT my opinion would be that it doesn't matter where it is, as you have permission to conceal a gun in NC already. Seems most of people's issues in NC is walking the line of "concealing" without permits.

Found this while looking, seems good just not sure if it went into affect yet.
    House votes to relax gun laws in NC :: WRAL.com
    HB937 has passed the house and the senate. It is now back in the house for a concurrence vote. The senate added a provision for the repeal of the Pistol Purchase Permit requirement. The NC Sheriffs Association is now against it due to that. It is being held up for vote. Once it is voted on again by the house it will still have to go to the governor for his signature. We are promised that it will come to a vote before the legislative session ends but I am not holding my breath.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jknight4652 View Post
    I'm moving to North Carolina for a job and I most likely plan on being there for a while.
    Welcome to The Old North State!!!!! What partI of the state? Hope your move went well and that you've had a smooth transition. How did it go and did you encounter any surprises, pleasant or otherwise?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12