moving to North Carolina
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: moving to North Carolina

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Auburn Maine but from greenville sc
    Posts
    17

    moving to North Carolina

    I'm moving to North Carolina for a job and I most likely plan on being there for a while. I'm currently a South Carolina resident with my concealed carry permit. If I become a resident of north Carolina what does that do to my South Carolina resident permit? Would it still he valid?

    I still own a house in South Carolina so I do have the option to stay a resident here. I was thinking of getting my non resident for Utah because I believe North Carolina does honor it. I'm not really sure on what I should do. Any ideas?

  2.   
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Santa Fe Area, New Mexico
    Posts
    3,487
    NC will honor SC permit. (Although I highly advise to take NC course to become familiar with NC Laws) If you have property in SC, SC does not require you to surrender your CWP. I relo'd up here from SC about a year and a half ago. Open carry in NC does not require a permit. CWP permits are issued by the Sheriff in the county you reside in. He also has the ultimate say without redress if he turns you down. (Law needs changing) Also without a CWP issued by the Sheriff. You must apply and pay for the RIGHT to purchase a handgun throughout NC. (Law also needs changing)
    There is legislation in process to restaurant CC if you refrain from consumption of adult beverages. Welcome to NC. Watch which counties you plan to reside in. MOST are conservative, some are just FLAMMING LIBERAL.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

  4. moving to North Carolina

    Yeah and NC laws with respect to guns in the vehicle are wacky as hell too. I'm not sure exactly what they are cause I just hope to God I don't get searched what little I drive through, but I know they make little to no sense at all.

  5. Quote Originally Posted by mappow View Post
    NC will honor SC permit. (Although I highly advise to take NC course to become familiar with NC Laws) If you have property in SC, SC does not require you to surrender your CWP. I relo'd up here from SC about a year and a half ago. Open carry in NC does not require a permit. CWP permits are issued by the Sheriff in the county you reside in. He also has the ultimate say without redress if he turns you down. (Law needs changing) Also without a CWP issued by the Sheriff. You must apply and pay for the RIGHT to purchase a handgun throughout NC. (Law also needs changing)
    There is legislation in process to restaurant CC if you refrain from consumption of adult beverages. Welcome to NC. Watch which counties you plan to reside in. MOST are conservative, some are just FLAMMING LIBERAL.
    And if I were a resident of NC and had the time and money, I'd lawyer up and fight that sh!t. There's absolutely no way that is Constitutional for NC to allow the sheriff to turn your 2nd amendment right down at his discretion, and there's no way it's Constitutional for NC to make you pay to take advantage of that right either. I didn't know that but that is complete BS! How in the hell do they get away with that?

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    And if I were a resident of NC and had the time and money, I'd lawyer up and fight that sh!t. There's absolutely no way that is Constitutional for NC to allow the sheriff to turn your 2nd amendment right down at his discretion, and there's no way it's Constitutional for NC to make you pay to take advantage of that right either. I didn't know that but that is complete BS! How in the hell do they get away with that?
    NC is a 'Shall Issue' state, so unless you're a felon or have been sent to a mental institution, etc, the Sheriff is obligated to honor your application for CCW. NC permits are also reciprocated by 37 states, eith the Marxist states being the only ones to not recognize and honor your ability to conceal carry (NY, NJ, CT, CA etc)

    We kicked the commies to the curb here in the last couple elections after being under their boot for about 125 yars, so regaining sanity in our gun laws is on the upswing. Former Gov Bev Purdue can rot with her fellow prisoners in crime!

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jknight4652 View Post
    I'm moving to North Carolina for a job and I most likely plan on being there for a while. I'm currently a South Carolina resident with my concealed carry permit. If I become a resident of north Carolina what does that do to my South Carolina resident permit? Would it still he valid?

    I still own a house in South Carolina so I do have the option to stay a resident here. I was thinking of getting my non resident for Utah because I believe North Carolina does honor it. I'm not really sure on what I should do. Any ideas?

    Remember, NC is a must inform state, you can't carry in places that serve alcohol and Gun Buster signs DO have force of law...sucks! NC isn't TERRIBLE with their gun laws, but not good either. I go their a lot to visit friends.

  8. Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    Remember, NC is a must inform state, you can't carry in places that serve alcohol and Gun Buster signs DO have force of law...sucks! NC isn't TERRIBLE with their gun laws, but not good either. I go their a lot to visit friends.
    What about transporting a handgun in NC? I was told it couldn't be in the glove box or anything and that it had to be out in the open.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    What about transporting a handgun in NC? I was told it couldn't be in the glove box or anything and that it had to be out in the open.
    Without a CHP, the gun must be clearly visible (assumed to be for an officer walking up to the drivers door), and recommendation is on the passenger seat or dashboard. It can be holstered, but cannot be covered by a hat or coat.

    OR

    It can be carried in an area of the car that is not accessible to the driver or passenger, such as the trunk.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    What about transporting a handgun in NC? I was told it couldn't be in the glove box or anything and that it had to be out in the open.
    That doesn't apply when you have a permit. But I'd always recommend taking a class there to possible learn any other quirks in their law.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by XD40scinNC View Post
    Without a CHP, the gun must be clearly visible (assumed to be for an officer walking up to the drivers door), and recommendation is on the passenger seat or dashboard. It can be holstered, but cannot be covered by a hat or coat.

    OR

    It can be carried in an area of the car that is not accessible to the driver or passenger, such as the trunk.
    Ok, so I'm in SC with an SC CWP, but I want to travel through NC, but I don't want the gun on me. Like when I'm driving in SC I usually like to have it in the center console. Can I do that with an SC CWP?

    I guess what I'm getting at is, in SC, just having a CWP does not grant you extra privileges in a car. The only difference is you can have the gun on you. But if it's not on you, then you have to follow the same rules as everybody else.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast