Clarification on CCW where alcoholic beverages are ssold and conssumed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clarification on CCW where alcoholic beverages are ssold and conssumed.

My wife and I are travelling to NC this weekend, I was stationed there years ago, and decided to research the carry conceal laws. In reference to "North Carolina General Statutes 14-269.3 Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed", what is the exact meaning of this statute? If I carry always, I usually do not drink, but understand that if with friends and we go to a bar, then I cannot carry there. What about going out to dinner to a restaurant that sells alcoholic beverages? If I am not a drinker, am I forbidden to carry concealed in such an establishment? Just looking for some clarification on this statute.

Quote Originally Posted by rlusczek View Post
    (null)
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Carrying in a restaurant that serves is a big no no in NC.

Thanks for the info TroutStalker. Just as I thought.

I think a lot of those laws are pretty ridiculous. Here in WA you can't carry in any part of a restaurant restricted to minors (bars) but it's not illegal to drink while carrying. When I go up the mountain to shoot on DNR land I usually bring some beer with me. I know my limit, I know at what point it becomes unsafe, and a 6-pack between 2 people over 3-4 hours, ain't it. Yet regardless, every time I go up I have some whiny DNR "cop" (they have lights, sirens, badges, but no guns, idk what they are to be honest) come and lecture me about how guns and alcohol don't mix. I usually just smile snidely, say OK, take a sip of beer, turn around and keep shooting.

Anybody over the age of 12 knows that handling loaded firearm while intoxicated is a bad idea. But that doesn't mean I need some pseudo nanny cop telling me I can't enjoy a beer or two while shooting. Especially since it's completely legal.

Thinking that this is one of the few issues that Iowa got right. It's legal to carry and consume, even in bars restaurants. However, the "have you consumed too much" is handled like driving under the influence. If you are carrying and authorities suspect you are under the influence, it is handled like suspicion of D.U.I. You are given the tests and if you blow a .08 or higher, say goodbye to your permit. Just like your driver's license.

I used to be a government-educated stooge. By the grace of God, I repent. -Robert Burris

7. Come to AZ. Here, if you have a CCW permit you can carry n a restaurant or bar that serves alcohol, as long as it remains concealed and you consume no alcohol, or unless the establishment is posted. (Since it's private property, the owner has the right to prohibit anything he doesn't like on his property.)

Blog Entries

NC law

Quote Originally Posted by rlusczek View Post
    In reference to "North Carolina General Statutes 14-269.3 Carrying weapons into assemblies and establishments where alcoholic beverages are sold and consumed", what is the exact meaning of this statute?

Just looking for some clarification on this statute.
    North Carolina law allows concealed carry in businesses that "sale", but do not "serve" alcoholic beverages.. Examples include a grocery store or gas statio. They sale but do not "serve" alcoholic (for on-premise consumption).

It is currently unlawful to carry concealed at businesses that both "sale and serve" alcoholic beverages. Examples include Pizza Hut, Outback, Logan's, Olive Garden and other such restaurants that both sale and serve alcohol.

North Carolina law prohibits concealed carry at anytime after consuming any amount of alcohol, even a thimbleful. If you drink any amount or if you enter any establishment that serves alcohol, you may not carry concealed.

Stick to Golden Corral, Subway and Burger King if you want to carry concealed... AND STAY OFF EDUCATIONAL PROPERTY OF ANY KIND!!!!

I have taught both civilian and law enforcement firearms for over 35 years.

North Carolina is on my list to never go there.

While it is currently the law that you cannot carry into an establishment that sells (to consume) alcohol in NC, there is moving through the Legislature a bill (HB 937) to change that along with several other changes to 'ease' restrictions for those with Conceal Carry permits. Instead of listing all of the changes, here is a link to the actual bill and there is a summary of proposed changes on the first page.
    http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2013/B...PDF/H937v1.pdf

Blog Entries
    Please let me know where this perfect place is that you live so I will never go there and spoil it. We are waiting on the NC Senate to approve changes to state law which will allow concealed carry in businesses that "sale" and "serve"alcoholic alcoholic beverages so long as none are consumed. They are also set to approve concealed handguns in vehicles on college campuses. North Carolina is in the top fifteen of gun-friendly states.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast