After having full knowledge of your gun

Thread: After having full knowledge of your gun

Once you can handle and shoot your CCW gun well the next most important thing is knowing how and when to use it. There are both times when you may not get a chance to use it, and times you will not want to use it. If a bad guy pulls a gun and gets the drop on you obviously you are not going to pull your gun. It would be suicide. Also is a bad guy is holding a gun on someone and you are able to get your gun out but there are two people standing on the other side of the bad guy you will not want to shoot either. You can also NOT brandish your gun because you are frightened. There must be a clear threat to your life before pulling your weapon.

CCW people need to go over situations in their head just as they need to practice shooting. With clear thinking in a bad situation you have the chance to make good decisions. Not every shooting is as clear as a bad guy breaks in your home and you shoot him. If someone pulls a knife on you, backup as quickly as possible while pulling your gun. Put some room between him and you, but if he starts moving toward you shoot immediately or you could end up dead. Being ready to act properly in defensive situations is so important. Lets hope everyone thinks about this.

If a BG put my kids or wife at risk (gun or knife) I will shot first and ask later. If I am the one at risk I will pull my gun and try to avoid / retreat.

A bg holding a gun is primarily using it to intimidate the victim into compliance through fear and not actually shooting anyone. With the intent to fire as soon as target is acquired will probably beat him to the punch. He's obviously not expecting his victim to be armed, or he would have chosen someone else to victimize. He has to process the fact the victim is armed and then react, which may well be too late for him.

Distract them by looking off to their side like you see someone coming and while they attention is diverted, draw and fire.
    “Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things.
    But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” ― Steven Weinberg

Just OC so that the Bad Guy looks for a softer target instead.

Sent from behind enemy lines.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesMorrison View Post
    Just OC so that the Bad Guy looks for a softer target instead.

Sent from behind enemy lines.
    Not all of us have that option.
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Seeya View Post
    Not all of us have that option.
    Maybe not that option, but you do have options. Choices & Consequences, that's what life is all about.
    ~ AMERICA'S EPITAPH ~
    "Since They Did Not See Fit To Acknowledge God, God Gave Them Up To A Depraved Mind, To Do What Should Not Be Done"

Quote Originally Posted by cluznar View Post
    Once you can handle and shoot your CCW gun well the next most important thing is knowing how and when to use it. There are both times when you may not get a chance to use it, and times you will not want to use it. If a bad guy pulls a gun and gets the drop on you obviously you are not going to pull your gun. It would be suicide. Also is a bad guy is holding a gun on someone and you are able to get your gun out but there are two people standing on the other side of the bad guy you will not want to shoot either. You can also NOT brandish your gun because you are frightened. There must be a clear threat to your life before pulling your weapon.

CCW people need to go over situations in their head just as they need to practice shooting. With clear thinking in a bad situation you have the chance to make good decisions. Not every shooting is as clear as a bad guy breaks in your home and you shoot him. If someone pulls a knife on you, backup as quickly as possible while pulling your gun. Put some room between him and you, but if he starts moving toward you shoot immediately or you could end up dead. Being ready to act properly in defensive situations is so important. Lets hope everyone thinks about this.

Whilst I agree with most of your post, I do believe that Knowing the Laws of engagement in your State should take priority over fully learning how to handle your firearm. A bad shoot would almost be as bad as being shot, maybe worse. Just saying.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)