Refusing to hand over firearm at a traffic stop - MO - Page 4
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Refusing to hand over firearm at a traffic stop - MO

Quote Originally Posted by BC1 View Post
    What are you talking about? You caused it. NEVER... volunteer any information to LE during a routine traffic stop. If the law doesn't require notification then keep quiet about your CCW. Innocent people talk themselves into handcuffs every day.
    Good advice except this is not New York.

In Missouri we do not have to disclose that we have a CCW permit and only have to show the officer the permit if requested. But, the CCW permit information is in the MULES (Missouri Uniform Law Enforcement System) and will flash when the license is run. The advice given by Self-Defense Attorney Kevin Jamison is to be polite and inform the office of your permit and where the firearm is located. YMMV but in my experience following this advise has always worked out for me.

Important point is to know the laws of the state you are carrying in before carrying in that state.

3. I actually talked to him on the phone yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    What does your state law say?

Did it?

Someone else is going to say it if I don't so let me be the one to tell you some of the worst legal advice you can get will come from cops, gun shop owners and CCW instructors.
    You forgot the most grievous, advice from those on the internet. lol

Quote Originally Posted by bigb360 View Post
    I actually talked to him on the phone yesterday.
    Cool, he is a good man.

6. Yeah, he seemed like it. Glad he fought for ccw for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bigb360 View Post
    I knew the law. I chose to inform as a courtesy. It seems to me it's a lose lose, because either way the cop is going to be on edge thinking I have a weapon. That's the logic behind telling him straight up.
    Wrong. It is not a lose lose. Did you get pulled over for an infraction that might require a felony stop? You know "GET OUT OF THE VEHICLE! HANDS UP! WALK BACK TOWARDS THE SOUND OF MY VOICE!..." etc. ending up with you face down and cuffed before anything else happens?
    -
    A 2 second search on the internet found the following regarding MO law:
    -
    571.121. 1. Any person issued a concealed carry endorsement pursuant to sections 571.101 to 571.121 shall carry the concealed carry endorsement at all times the person is carrying a concealed firearm and shall display the concealed carry endorsement upon the request of any peace officer. Failure to comply with this subsection shall not be a criminal offense but the concealed carry endorsement holder may be issued a citation for an amount not to exceed thirty-five dollars.
    -
    Some states say that if asked for ANY identification you must also provide your permit if you are carrying. Not so in MO. Courtesy would be if you were in a situation where a pat-down was going to reveal your gun you then inform the officer that you have a permit and let him know the location of the gun. Again, if they ask if you have a gun don't lie, and the permit question will probably be the next question asked if you don't volunteer the info when you answer the first question.

You are a licensed CCW holder. You are not doing anything wrong. You are not in violation of the law.
    The only way the PD should take possession of your firearm is as part of an inventory when you are arrested.
    At least that is the way it was when the freakin Constitution meant something.
    What ever happened to Terry and Mapp the right to remain silent and probable cause.

If the cops of today are being trained to treat every encounter as a felon then they need to find a different job.

Oh wait a minute never mind. Cops today aren't allowed to profile or use common freakin sense by the lawyers.
    Tolerance of the intolerant leads to the destruction of tolerance. “You are also reminded that any inappropriate remarks or jokes concerning security may result in your arrest,” in the land of the free.

Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    You are a licensed CCW holder. You are not doing anything wrong. You are not in violation of the law.
    The only way the PD should take possession of your firearm is as part of an inventory when you are arrested.
    At least that is the way it was when the freakin Constitution meant something.
    What ever happened to Terry and Mapp the right to remain silent and probable cause.

If the cops of today are being trained to treat every encounter as a felon then they need to find a different job.

Oh wait a minute never mind. Cops today aren't allowed to profile or use common freakin sense by the lawyers.
    So are you saying that if I'm a cop I can't temporarily secure your firearm for my own safety unless I eventually arrest you? WRONG.
    Chief

10. My only thought is that people can pretend to be cops.

Refusing to hand over firearm at a traffic stop - MO

I've asked this question before. Not having a Duty to Inform does not mean you can refuse to hand over your weapon if asked. If you choose to inform him you have a weapon in the vehicle, courts have found the LEO may confiscate the weapon for the duration of the stop for officer safety. That's why, if you don't want to be disarmed, don't say anything.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast