Refusing to hand over firearm at a traffic stop - MO - Page 5
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 177

Thread: Refusing to hand over firearm at a traffic stop - MO

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    So are you saying that if I'm a cop I can't temporarily secure your firearm for my own safety unless I eventually arrest you? WRONG.
    UNLESS your state has something that specifically addresses this, then, yes, IF you cannot initially, before requesting the persons firearm, reasonably articulate the reason for wanting to take it.... (and NO, just because you want to isnt good enough) ie... has the subject done anything that has given you reason to believe YOUR safety was in jeopardy?

  2.   
  3. #42
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    2,837
    Man, I think you guys with the permits have to go through a lot of crap just to be able to defend yourself!
    Ya have to know this.... Ya have to know that.....
    Y'all need to get that stuff changed to a Constitutional Carry state and bury that other crap!


    Sent from behind enemy lines.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb360 View Post
    My only thought is that people can pretend to be cops.
    That's stretching it. If you are that freaked out call the local PD and ask them to verify.

    I will also say that if you keep doing this sooner or later you are going to end up in handcuffs, if only briefly
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Colorado Rocky Mountain High
    Posts
    3,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    has the subject done anything that has given you reason to believe YOUR safety was in jeopardy?
    Sure has, he refused to follow a reasonable request that the SCOTUS says that I (if I were a cop) have a legal right to make.
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by golocx4 View Post
    You are a licensed CCW holder. You are not doing anything wrong. You are not in violation of the law.
    The only way the PD should take possession of your firearm is as part of an inventory when you are arrested.
    At least that is the way it was when the freakin Constitution meant something.
    What ever happened to Terry and Mapp the right to remain silent and probable cause.

    If the cops of today are being trained to treat every encounter as a felon then they need to find a different job.

    Oh wait a minute never mind. Cops today aren't allowed to profile or use common freakin sense by the lawyers.
    Yup. And then our rights became obsolete.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  7. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Sure has, he refused to follow a reasonable request that the SCOTUS says that I (if I were a cop) have a legal right to make.
    Is a request a demand? I only said I'd rather not, not that I would not. He only requested. Do requests magically become demands because someone with a uniform says them?

  8. Quote Originally Posted by bigb360 View Post
    Ah I see. The only reason I informed him initially that I had a permit is because that was what I was trained to do in my ccw class. It would help the stop go more smoothly in my instructors opinion. He asked then if I had a weapon. I suppose I could have invoked the 5th in that case (now that the supreme court has decided we have to invoke our rights to have our rights) but why?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigb360 View Post
    I knew the law. I chose to inform as a courtesy. It seems to me it's a lose lose, because either way the cop is going to be on edge thinking I have a weapon. That's the logic behind telling him straight up.
    I would venture to guess that in probably 99% of all traffic stops a gun is never mentioned during the traffic stop. I've been stopped probably a dozen times in 30 years and a gun has never been mentioned in any of the times I have been stopped. So, I'm sorry, I just don't see how me interjecting something unexpected and unneccessary into the traffic stop to take it out of the 99% normal is going to help anything. To me, it seems like me taking some action to remove my particular traffic stop out of the 99% normal only has the possibility of causing myself additional grief.

    I'm not going to use my Concealed Pistol License like some get out of jail free card. I didn't obtain my CPL in order to provide proof to police officers of my lack of criminal history. I obtained my CPL for the sole reasons of being able to conceal my gun if I want to, to carry my gun loaded in my car if I want to, and to bypass the 5 day waiting period in Washington if I buy a handgun from a dealer.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    OHIO
    Posts
    2,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Sure has, he refused to follow a reasonable request that the SCOTUS says that I (if I were a cop) have a legal right to make.
    Another treo FAIL.......

    The cop can only legally make that request (dont miss that word "legally" there treo) IF he can at the moment he makes such a request articulate a reason he believes the person is a danger to him.... Just because he wants to is NOT a valid reason..... He can REQUEST all day long but without that pesky little having an actual reason for it, it wouldnt be a LEGAL request and you do not have to comply.... I know.... good little sheep like you would.....

    I am NOT a sheep. I am a free man........ and that makes those like you shake in your boots and spout off things like "good luck with that" and "you will be arrested" and "we will visit you in jail" and so on and so on... Your types make me sick......... why dont you do us all a favor and go join the Brady forum and leave those of us who are actually serious about our RIGHTS alone....

  10. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I would venture to guess that in probably 99% of all traffic stops a gun is never mentioned during the traffic stop. I've been stopped probably a dozen times in 30 years and a gun has never been mentioned in any of the times I have been stopped. So, I'm sorry, I just don't see how me interjecting something unexpected and unneccessary into the traffic stop to take it out of the 99% normal is going to help anything. To me, it seems like me taking some action to remove my particular traffic stop out of the 99% normal only has the possibility of causing myself additional grief.

    I'm not going to use my Concealed Pistol License like some get out of jail free card. I didn't obtain my CPL in order to provide proof to police officers of my lack of criminal history. I obtained my CPL for the sole reasons of being able to conceal my gun if I want to, to carry my gun loaded in my car if I want to, and to bypass the 5 day waiting period in Washington if I buy a handgun from a dealer.
    Do all states have a system like mules that flash that you have a ccw when your license is run?

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek Mi
    Posts
    1,853
    It's just me but in MI were disclosure is required in a traffic stop. If asked I would have first said "making it safe", then dropped the mag, and ejected the one in the pipe and handed him a gun that was locked open and MT....
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast