Can a motor home resident travel state to state with a handgun? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can a motor home resident travel state to state with a handgun?

BC1 is absolutely correct. You need to have your handgun(s) secured in accordance with Federal transport regulations if traveling THROUGH New York State.

In NY, it is illegal to 'possess' any handgun without a permit. In strict terms, you cannot have a handgun in your home, car, trailer, motorhome, truck or on your person (concealed or exposed) without a permit. If I, with an unrestricted CCW permit, borrow a friend's pistol...and the serial number is not listed on my permit...I am illegally 'possessing' a weapon without a permit and could be subject to arrest and conviction.

In fact, the process for purchase is as follows... Purchase the handgun and receive the paid invoice...go to the permit office and have the serial number added to your permit...go back to the gun shop and pick up your handgun. If you were to take your newly purchased gun with you prior to adding it to your permit...you are in possession of an illegal handgun.

DO NOT STOP for anything other than gas or food(take-out). If you plan a day of sightseeing and have your weapon in the car (even if secured, unloaded, etc), you illegally possess a handgun. You'll be able to enjoy a stay in the tin-cup hotel.

Is not the all American permit the 2nd Amendment to the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by nybuckboy View Post
    I was talking to a coast to coast truck driver today about differing laws regarding licensing for truckers and how a person can buy a MH, pull a car with it across country and have no more than a standard licence yet a trucker must have a class A. No sense!

In the process of our talks we shifted to handguns and CCW, the Utah licenses and reciprocity with about 38 states, Illinois passing the CCW, etc.

He said that that he heard that because the motorhome is the person's home, they can carry a handgun in the motorhome and cross state lines legally. He said that the person could not leave the motorhome with the handgun but for protection in the motorhome it was legal.

Thoughts?
    Not completely true, in some states you need a permit simply to possess. In those state it wouldn't matter. Plus I'm willing to bet even in pro-states a MH would be considered a vehicle, not a home.

I believe you must consult the laws in the states you are wishing to travel. Every state has different requirements.

Depends entirely with the state you are in and their laws.

HERE , a RV is considered your home when you are using it, and so is your motel room... it's considered your temporary home ... so all gun rights related to your home follow you in terms of those.
    The castle doctrine here , also applies to your car in the sense that anyone "illegally entering an occupied vehicle" is basically treated almost exactly the same as if they had entered your home.

Blog Entries
    I can see the states of NY, CT, MA, CO, IL and CA arguing that the driver has residency in the state that issued the liscense plate found on the motor home, regardless of what any law says. Besides that, do you think that any public official in any of those states has ever taken the time to read the laws? Take a look at any NYC cop and that question is already answered. Sheeesh look at ESU! They have never even heard of the 4A.

Now the NYS laws get even stranger: they have a magazine capacity limit. At one time I shot competitively in NYS. The rules were simple: carry evidence of participation verifying you are shooting and transit NYS in no more than 48 hours, carry unloaded hand guns in one locked container inaccessible to the occupant of the vehicle and empty magazines and ammunition in a separate inaccessible locked container. This worked well and I competed with LEO's who agreed this approach was correct.

In the brave new NYS, magazine capacity is limited to 7 or fewer rounds. Well, My .22LR magazines' capacities are 10 rounds and most of my .45ACP magazines are 8 rounds. I have not heard how the new law affects out of state competitors and until some definitive information is provided, I am declining to enter competitions in NYS.

BTW, I traveled through NYC without stopping to competitions on Long Island using the same protocols, but I was particularly careful to NOT attract LEO's attention while in NYC. I do not want to be their test case. But now, I am just waiting. I sent a letter the the NY State Police Commandant requesting clarification in writing about 6 months ago...still waiting.
    ________

DRNurse1

Quote Originally Posted by DRNurse1 View Post
    Now the NYS laws get even stranger: they have a magazine capacity limit. At one time I shot competitively in NYS. The rules were simple: carry evidence of participation verifying you are shooting and transit NYS in no more than 48 hours, carry unloaded hand guns in one locked container inaccessible to the occupant of the vehicle and empty magazines and ammunition in a separate inaccessible locked container. This worked well and I competed with LEO's who agreed this approach was correct.

In the brave new NYS, magazine capacity is limited to 7 or fewer rounds. Well, My .22LR magazines' capacities are 10 rounds and most of my .45ACP magazines are 8 rounds. I have not heard how the new law affects out of state competitors and until some definitive information is provided, I am declining to enter competitions in NYS.

BTW, I traveled through NYC without stopping to competitions on Long Island using the same protocols, but I was particularly careful to NOT attract LEO's attention while in NYC. I do not want to be their test case. But now, I am just waiting. I sent a letter the the NY State Police Commandant requesting clarification in writing about 6 months ago...still waiting.
    Let me clear this up too.
    Mag capacity is not limited to seven rounds. You can only load seven but may still keep 10-round-mags. Mags can be fully loaded at the range or in competition or training.
    No definitive information will be provided by the state police. You need to understand the law on your own or through an attorney. Provisions for nonresidents are found in NYS PL 265.20 (Exemptions), which have not changed. You may still follow the same protocol as in the past. I would STRONGLY caution you not to pass through NYC. That's where the trouble will occur.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12