Can a motor home resident travel state to state with a handgun?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Can a motor home resident travel state to state with a handgun?

  1. Can a motor home resident travel state to state with a handgun?

    I was talking to a coast to coast truck driver today about differing laws regarding licensing for truckers and how a person can buy a MH, pull a car with it across country and have no more than a standard licence yet a trucker must have a class A. No sense!

    In the process of our talks we shifted to handguns and CCW, the Utah licenses and reciprocity with about 38 states, Illinois passing the CCW, etc.

    He said that that he heard that because the motorhome is the person's home, they can carry a handgun in the motorhome and cross state lines legally. He said that the person could not leave the motorhome with the handgun but for protection in the motorhome it was legal.

    Thoughts?

  2.   
  3. Then it could be said that the same logic would apply to cross country truck drivers, being that the truck is their "home" for a good majority of the time every week.

    But, alas, it's just not that simple. When you travel, you are governed by the laws of the state in which you currently standn regardless of any other state's laws.

    Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.

  4. #3
    I would think that this point could be argued for the 'full-timers'. Where do they keep their weapons when they travel? Leave them at home? Maybe one of our more knowing folks can chime in on this. I see the 'home' on wheels.

    Any lawyers out there?

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    We do have a few full-timers here. (Maybe some of the will chime in in a bit.)

    As I understand it, Federal transportation laws come into play when transporting a firearm
    -- and --
    an RV is considered a persons "home" so you have the same HD & SD rights as any other homeowner.

    But!
    State possession & CC laws may also apply if you intend on spending any time in a particular state.

    You can find more information here about RV travel & firearms in the USA: Handgunlaw.us

    Here's the link for info on Canada: Firearm Users Visiting Canada - Royal Canadian Mounted Police


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    116
    I know of a situation many years ago when a CCW holder from Florida was treated to a night in an Albany, NY prison because his handgun was in the cab of his pick-up and not in the attached slide on camper. Officers stated that if the handgun owner had placed the handgun in the camper, the search would require a warrant. As it was, when asked if the cab contained firearms and if the officers could search the cab, the firearm owner chose to incriminate himself rather than claiming the 5th and declining permission to search.

    I wonder if OTR truckers have the same privilege of declaring the sleeper compartment as an attached home?
    ________

    DRNurse1

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by nybuckboy View Post
    I was talking to a coast to coast truck driver today about differing laws regarding licensing for truckers and how a person can buy a MH, pull a car with it across country and have no more than a standard licence yet a trucker must have a class A. No sense!

    In the process of our talks we shifted to handguns and CCW, the Utah licenses and reciprocity with about 38 states, Illinois passing the CCW, etc.

    He said that that he heard that because the motorhome is the person's home, they can carry a handgun in the motorhome and cross state lines legally. He said that the person could not leave the motorhome with the handgun but for protection in the motorhome it was legal.

    Thoughts?
    Don't drive it into NY unless you intend to drive straight through, uninterrupted....... your new address will be a NYS penitentiary.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by DRNurse1 View Post
    I know of a situation many years ago when a CCW holder from Florida was treated to a night in an Albany, NY prison because his handgun was in the cab of his pick-up and not in the attached slide on camper. Officers stated that if the handgun owner had placed the handgun in the camper, the search would require a warrant. As it was, when asked if the cab contained firearms and if the officers could search the cab, the firearm owner chose to incriminate himself rather than claiming the 5th and declining permission to search.

    I wonder if OTR truckers have the same privilege of declaring the sleeper compartment as an attached home?
    It's my understanding that they do have some protections that have been upheld in court. But, I'm not to sure of the requirements. There is also the issue of PU & delivery on government installations. (Where any weapons "anywhere" can land you in a heap of trouble.)

    I do know people who are full timers & travel NY, NJ, Commiefornia and other AG states. I have been told that as long as their firearms are unloaded, locked up & in the back (living quarters) or in the storage bins (not readily accessible) there are no issues.

    Of course, the LE departments all across the nation have been alerted to the danger of roving RV gang activity. (After all, people who drive around in motor homes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars are often affiliated with known criminal activity.)


    -
    “Only a rookie who knows nothing about science would say science takes away from faith. If you really study science, it will bring you closer to God.” —JAMES TOUR, NANOSCIENTIST

  9. Quote Originally Posted by bobqdevon View Post
    Then it could be said that the same logic would apply to cross country truck drivers, being that the truck is their "home" for a good majority of the time every week.

    But, alas, it's just not that simple. When you travel, you are governed by the laws of the state in which you currently standn regardless of any other state's laws.

    Sent from my phone (which explains all the typos), using the USACARRY app.
    He mentioned this to me that why can't full time coast to coast truckers have the same rights cause after all their sleeper cab is their home on the road often times.

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    N. Central Indiana
    Posts
    512
    Residency requirements will most likely play a part in the "home" aspect of a mobile home, or RV.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    State of Confusion
    Posts
    7,733
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    It's my understanding that they do have some protections that have been upheld in court. But, I'm not to sure of the requirements. There is also the issue of PU & delivery on government installations. (Where any weapons "anywhere" can land you in a heap of trouble.)

    I do know people who are full timers & travel NY, NJ, Commiefornia and other AG states. I have been told that as long as their firearms are unloaded, locked up & in the back (living quarters) or in the storage bins (not readily accessible) there are no issues.

    Of course, the LE departments all across the nation have been alerted to the danger of roving RV gang activity. (After all, people who drive around in motor homes worth hundreds of thousands of dollars are often affiliated with known criminal activity.)


    -
    Let me clear this up. There are certain times when persons are exempt from criminal charges when possessing a handgun in NYS. NYS PL 265.20 provides exemptions from charges of criminal possession of a weapon. One provision allows nonresidents to possess a gun when here for training, education or trade-related shows. They may enter and leave within 48 hours of the event. If stopped they must have their home-state permit or FOID and proof of registration for the event. They may not carry the gun at all.
    .
    NY will not allow the possession of a handgun by any non-resident unless he has a permit. There is no provision under the law exempting anyone from criminal charges if driving a camper or sleeper. If you are a non-resident you may not possess a handgun within the state anywhere unless you have a permit or are passing through and protected under federal law. Nonresidents may obtain a NY permit if they own a business here. Other than that you'll go to jail. There is no debate on this subject. Whoever is telling you it's legal in certain situations does not know the law here. And we have NYC to thank for it. They control the state legislator due to their population. Upstate residents haven't enough numbers to right these wrongs. We're disenfranchised at the voting booth.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast