Illinois Car Carry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois Car Carry

Blog Entries

Illinois Car Carry

Ok, I looked around on the net and haven't seen anywhere the info I'm looking for so here I am. I'm traveling through Illinois to Indiana and I want to take my firearm. I have my CCW, with the new law for Illinois is it safe to keep my gun in my vehicle loaded and concealed or should I lock it up unloaded? Basically I want to know if the law is enacted or not for car carry. Any info would be nice. Thanks

3. Re: Illinois Car Carry

From what I've read.. Carry at your own risk when traveling through Illinois. The do have concealed carry laws but Do Not recognize ANY permits from other states. I have an Indiana permit and I often travel to OH which doesn't recognize Indiana's but I lock it in my truck box, I don't carry it. So, if you carry through Illinois lock it in your trunk away from you and don't do anything to draw attention to yourself... that's my advice and opinion... take it as you wish.

- C

Our CCW law is not in effect yet. To be legal, since you are legal in your home state, you need to have it unloaded, and keep in in a container, such as a pistol case, (hard), gun vault, or console. Ammo does not have to be kept away from the weapon, but it must be unloaded.

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys, I have read on Handgunlaw.us That they allow car carry as long as you have a permit in your home state but I know how Illinois is since I live in St. Louis, MO., I don't think I want to take a chance on getting a felony charge so I think I'll just lock it up unloaded and hope the Zimmerman verdict isn't read until Monday...

It's best to read the bill. A non resident can Conceal Carry as long as your in your car.IF you exit your car you must unload and place in a container aka glove box, center console, gun case or the trunk or gun safe and lock the car.Also 14 counties in centeral and southern IL have said they will honnor a FOID card or a non resident CCL until the state gets the permit up and running. The Illinois State police said they will ticket but the DA says they wont bring charges. Its going to be a mess if the court doesn't step in and make the state do CC now rather than 9 months from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim DeKock View Post
    Ok, I looked around on the net and haven't seen anywhere the info I'm looking for so here I am. I'm traveling through Illinois to Indiana and I want to take my firearm. I have my CCW, with the new law for Illinois is it safe to keep my gun in my vehicle loaded and concealed or should I lock it up unloaded? Basically I want to know if the law is enacted or not for car carry. Any info would be nice. Thanks
    http://www.ilsheriff.org/images/stor...usebill183.pdf

Read most of the way down this link and it discusses non-resident regulations, including carrying in a vehicle.

From my reading of the bill, Now Law, you can drive through the state, but if you stop for so much as to fill up for gas you have to unload your weapon and place it in a container.

If you are stopped by a police officer you MUST notify him that you are carrying a concealed weapon with a permit from your home state, and that you WOULD unload and secure the weapon prior to getting out of your vehicle if you had to. Remember as with any traffic stop, keep your hands in plain sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Steon View Post
    From my reading of the bill, Now Law, you can drive through the state, but if you stop for so much as to fill up for gas you have to unload your weapon and place it in a container.

If you are stopped by a police officer you MUST notify him that you are carrying a concealed weapon with a permit from your home state, and that you WOULD unload and secure the weapon prior to getting out of your vehicle if you had to. Remember as with any traffic stop, keep your hands in plain sight.
    I don't recall seeing either of these 2 points in the new law.

(not sure why it quotes in blocks...but still can be read...

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from
    25 transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in
    26 Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her
    1 vehicle and the non-resident:
    2 (1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a
    3 firearm under federal law;
    4 (2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the
    5 laws of his or her state or territory of residence; and
    6 (3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
    7 If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended,
    8 he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or
    9 locked container within the vehicle in accordance with
    10 subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

10. Sec40 sub(e) Safe Passage. A non-resident may transport a concealed firearm within a
    vehicle if it remains within the vehicle and is eligible to carry the firearm in public
    in his/her home state.

If you leave your vehicle within the State of Illinois you must either stow the firearm in the "glove box" or console completely out of sight or unload the firearm and go directly to your trunk and secure the firearm there.

11. I am new to this site, so you may have an answer to your question. Here is a link to the ISP website regarding how to transport a firearm in Illinois. http://www.isp.state.il.us/docs/1-154.pdf

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast