.380 ACP: is it good enough or no? - Page 2
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

1. My wife uses Hornady critical defense 110gr. in her .38 special. That "filled" hollow point with the silicone or whatever material insert convinced me that it would provide sufficient penetration and expansion for a self defense round, after doing much internet research.

I'm old school and use Winchester Ranger-Ts 230gr. .45acp in my XD-S for a self defense round.

Whatever is used, the advice earlier is spot-on; keep shooting until the threat has stopped. True across all calibers.

If you're interested in statistics rather than conjecture, follow the following link and read about all the calibers used in real world shootings...

An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power

there's also interesting reading about different calibers here, and it shows the .380 as very capable...

How to select the best ammo for a defensive handgun

JSDinTexas Guest
    I am not in favor of the .380 - if it were the only thing I had access to, so be it.
    One reason so many carry it is it fires from a usually small gun, which is comfortable to carry and easier to conceal. I always encourage folks that are looking at this range of guns to consider the S&W J-frame using .38+P. It is certainly a better round than the .380 and the J-frame will carry easily.

5. Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    I am not in favor of the .380 - if it were the only thing I had access to, so be it.
    One reason so many carry it is it fires from a usually small gun, which is comfortable to carry and easier to conceal. I always encourage folks that are looking at this range of guns to consider the S&W J-frame using .38+P. It is certainly a better round than the .380 and the J-frame will carry easily.
    Well the only reason I'm debating .380 or not is because I've already got one that my wife-to-be already likes and shoots and is a potential carry option, it's just a little bit big (Walther PK380). But if we decide to go a different route, whether it be because of gun size or round size, we'll probably go to a 9mm. I'd sleep better knowing she had more than just 5 rounds, and if she needed more, reloading a revolver in a timely fashion take a bit more practice and know-how. I know people say there's less that can go wrong with revolvers, and that may be true...but when all the rounds are spent and you need to reload, there's less that can go wrong with a semi-auto in my opinion.

found this earlier today...answers a lot of questions regarding the 380 acp....from penetration to expansion....Testing the .380 for Self Defense - YouTube

7. Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Well the only reason I'm debating .380 or not is because I've already got one that my wife-to-be already likes and shoots and is a potential carry option, it's just a little bit big (Walther PK380). But if we decide to go a different route, whether it be because of gun size or round size, we'll probably go to a 9mm. I'd sleep better knowing she had more than just 5 rounds, and if she needed more, reloading a revolver in a timely fashion take a bit more practice and know-how. I know people say there's less that can go wrong with revolvers, and that may be true...but when all the rounds are spent and you need to reload, there's less that can go wrong with a semi-auto in my opinion.
    Sounds like a plan! My wife wound-up with a wheel gun because she can't rack a slide, even on a .380. Shattered arm in an accident. She shot many rental guns and decided the .38 special was for her.

I have a bodyguard 380 for summer conceal, in colder times I carry a full size 9...that said my s&w will take 380+p...just not the +p+....
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post

9. Here is a very lengthy and informative tome on actual forensic observations of thousands of gunshot victims, done at autopsy, with comments about all calibers (if known) of ammunition at that time.

Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue

10. Quote Originally Posted by barecove View Post
    found this earlier today...answers a lot of questions regarding the 380 acp....from penetration to expansion....Testing the .380 for Self Defense - YouTube
    Raise your hand if you plan on being able to walk after a half inch metal shard has plowed into your chest at 1,000fps and comes to a screeching halt about 9 inches deep....

I mean 19 inches to me just means it's most likely going straight through if it doesn't hit bone. At my thickest point, I might be 12", but that's at most. So from what I learned from the few physics classes I've taken in college is that if a bullet is traveling at 1,000fps and hits something, and then exits at 300fps, then whatever it hit only received 70% of the energy from that bullet. If it stops inside the person, then they receive 100% of the bullets energy. I'd rather know the bullet is going to stop somewhere in them. I guess I'm just very confused as to why these guys are wanting so much penetration, especially when the guy said that the ballistics gel is about the same density as muscle. That means that if it hits just some muscle and some regular soft tissue, it's going to travel much further. I don't know I'm no expert...is there something I'm not getting?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Ok you just said out loud what I've been thinking this whole time. The MINIMUM for the FBI test is 12" of penetration, meaning they would prefer more than that. Now granted I'm a fairly thin guy, but I'm pretty thick in the chest area, and I seriously doubt I'm 12" thick. Why would they want the round to potentially go through the target, and possibly hitting someone else?

I'm no doctor, but I'd say going through denim, a piece of meat/rib cage, and then 4 1/2" in ballistics gel is going to hit most vital organs.

But one of the things I was wanting to ask in follow-up was that a lot of people I'm seeing are using FMJ's in their .380s to get better penetration. Is that necessary?
    Something to consider...a study done by a former LEO in American Handgunner stated .380 had a 62% one shot stop avg, on avg 1.76 shots to stop and 16% did not stop...here's a picture of the article. Hope this isn't illegal....

.380 ACP: is it good enough or no?-1374125290928.jpg

There's really no perfect caliber. Looking at the one shot stop pct , 9mm is scoring less in the one shot stop category yet has a 13 pct failure to stop rate vs 16 for .380 and 14 for .45. It means just one thing...shoot until the threat has stopped.

Don't use FMJ for carry. Its designed to make 2 holes, therefore increasing blood loss and thus take more people (to carry and treat the wounded) off the battlefield. It over penetrates for that reason, among a few others.
    Sent from my Clear using USA Carry mobile app

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast