.380 ACP: is it good enough or no? - Page 3
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

Blog Entries
    It appears that I posted the same data as almost_blameless. Oops lol

Sent from my Clear using USA Carry mobile app

JSDinTexas Guest
    First, I don't believe one word of the posted statistics - suggesting a .22 has better stopping power than a .45 is pure BULL!
    Look at the chart again folks, carefully, LEO or no, nonsense.
    And all I am saying, and will always say, is I want the best level of effectiveness in the round I can get. I consider two to be the top in that possibility: the .45 and the .357

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Raise your hand if you plan on being able to walk after a half inch metal shard has plowed into your chest at 1,000fps and comes to a screeching halt about 9 inches deep....

I mean 19 inches to me just means it's most likely going straight through if it doesn't hit bone. At my thickest point, I might be 12", but that's at most. So from what I learned from the few physics classes I've taken in college is that if a bullet is traveling at 1,000fps and hits something, and then exits at 300fps, then whatever it hit only received 70% of the energy from that bullet. If it stops inside the person, then they receive 100% of the bullets energy. I'd rather know the bullet is going to stop somewhere in them. I guess I'm just very confused as to why these guys are wanting so much penetration, especially when the guy said that the ballistics gel is about the same density as muscle. That means that if it hits just some muscle and some regular soft tissue, it's going to travel much further. I don't know I'm no expert...is there something I'm not getting?
    Your math is flawed or you forgot some physics. Kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity. So if the velocity dropped by 70% then the energy would not also drop by 70%. In fact the energy would drop to 9% of what it had when it was at 1000 fps. Therefore, whatever it hit received 91% of the energy, not the 70% you purported.

KE=1/2*m*v^2, if v becomes .3 of what it used to be, then KE would be .3^2 of what it was, or 0.09 of the original KE (9%).... this all assumes the mass of the bullet does not change, which could be highly likely that it fragments. If that happens, we then have to look at conservation of momentum laws instead.

Short answer, keep shooting until the threat stops and don't buy FMJ since they over-penetrate!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JSDinTexas View Post
    First, I don't believe one word of the posted statistics - suggesting a .22 has better stopping power than a .45 is pure BULL!
    Look at the chart again folks, carefully, LEO or no, nonsense.
    And all I am saying, and will always say, is I want the best level of effectiveness in the round I can get. I consider two to be the top in that possibility: the .45 and the .357
    Opinion. Provide data from a reputable source. Also, you either got angry and did not read or simply misunderstand the data. Look at the pct of attackers who did not stop. That is your measure of stopping power.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Your math is flawed or you forgot some physics. Kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity. So if the velocity dropped by 70% then the energy would not also drop by 70%. In fact the energy would drop to 9% of what it had when it was at 1000 fps. Therefore, whatever it hit received 91% of the energy, not the 70% you purported.

KE=1/2*m*v^2, if v becomes .3 of what it used to be, then KE would be .3^2 of what it was, or 0.09 of the original KE (9%).... this all assumes the mass of the bullet does not change, which could be highly likely that it fragments. If that happens, we then have to look at conservation of momentum laws instead.

Short answer, keep shooting until the threat stops and don't buy FMJ since they over-penetrate!
    Mathematical! And do buy FMJ, but save it for the Gestapo!

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Mathematical! And do buy FMJ, but save it for the Gestapo!

Correction, buy FMJ, they are cheaper and you can use them at the range... and what Tricolor said! LOL

Just DON"T use them for defensive rounds.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote."
    ~ Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

JSDinTexas Guest
    Hey Tricolor, and everyone else - carry what you want, carry what makes you feel confident and comfortable. Mine happens to be .45, and I will never believe a lesser caliber round will in most circumstances do a better job.
    No anger here, just trying to steer folks to the consideration of a more logical conclusion based on proven experiences, not statistics.

JSDinTexas Guest
    You all may want to read this thread, of many like it - 9mm vs. .40 vs. .45

...still have doubts about the 380? ...follow the links...

Pocket Guns and Gear: Denim and Gel Testing 380 Ammo

just a little food for thought

.380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

You can always try the kimber solo 9mm its almost identical to sigs .380 size weight etc.. Yes a little more $$ but you gain the 9mm power

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast