.380 ACP: is it good enough or no? - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Correction, buy FMJ, they are cheaper and you can use them at the range... and what Tricolor said! LOL

Just DON"T use them for defensive rounds.
    There are times you want them as defensive rounds too. But you don't want every round a FMJ.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified RSO
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal to the spider is chaos to the fly.

3. Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    There are times you want them as defensive rounds too. But you don't want every round a FMJ.
    Reminds me of a conversation my dad and I had the other day. He's not very much into guns be he's got a few, and here lately, to better prepare himself for the ammo scare we've had the last couple of months, he's been buying up a couple boxes of ammo every couple of weeks. But I had to talk him out of buying hollow points every time cause I said "dad, hollow points are generally for if you have to shoot someone in self defense..." to which he replied "yeah...but I'm afraid it won't be long before I'm going to be doing a lot of that." He was referring to the whole "country is spinning out of control" thing and talking about if we wind up in yet another "civil war" if you will. But I had to remind him that if it gets to a point where I need to defend myself against that many people, I'll settle for a FMJ just fine. If it gets to that point I'd rather have spent my money on quantity over quality, when the fmj's are quality enough.

4. I carry a .45 because I have too much disposable income and like to spend it on ammo...

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Something to consider...a study done by a former LEO in American Handgunner stated .380 had a 62% one shot stop avg, on avg 1.76 shots to stop and 16% did not stop...here's a picture of the article. Hope this isn't illegal....

Attachment 9988

There's really no perfect caliber. Looking at the one shot stop pct , 9mm is scoring less in the one shot stop category yet has a 13 pct failure to stop rate vs 16 for .380 and 14 for .45. It means just one thing...shoot until the threat has stopped.
    I just bought a NAA Mini (.22LR/.22WMR cylinders) on the cheap from a guy at work. I got it for hunting, and plan to use "pest control" ammo in it. That said, in doing some research on the new gun I ran across this article:
    Ask Foghorn: Is .22lr The Best for Self Defense? | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

What is funny is that if you look at your chart, it bears this out as well. My point, I guess, is the same as all the others: hit what you are aiming at, with whatever you have, and do not stop until the threat is neutralized. I think 4" past the ribs is pretty much perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_fire View Post
    Your math is flawed or you forgot some physics. Kinetic energy is proportional to the square of velocity. So if the velocity dropped by 70% then the energy would not also drop by 70%. In fact the energy would drop to 9% of what it had when it was at 1000 fps. Therefore, whatever it hit received 91% of the energy, not the 70% you purported.
    One thing fancy math can't calculate is what the BG's reaction will be to "holy $#@! I just got shot!", followed rapidly by "again?" "again?" Also, the Hornady CD ammo with the cute little polymer tip is designed to delay the expansion after impacting the surface(clothes). It also keeps pocket lint from filling up the HP and effecting your accuracy
    Chief

FWIW, when I carry .380 I carry 90gr FMJ. Out of my pistol, the bullets are coming out around 800fps and average penetration in test media is 10-12". With clothes on, bone an other potential obstructions... penetration can be greatly reduced. In a "slower" moving round like a .380, a lot of (but not all) JHP loads clog with clothes anyway and act as an FMJ. JHP rounds generally need one thing to function... velocity. Without enough of that, you might as well be shooting LRN. In fact, soft LRN loads can hold their own at slower velocities. In fact, I carry 158gr LRN in one of my .38Spls at standard pressure... the bullet is leaving the 2" barrel around 650-700fps, hardly a threat to overpenetration. I will caution against using FMJ in calibers above .380 though... 9mm and up DO have a much greater threat of overpenetration. The type of pitsol you are carrying has a lot to do with the effectivness of your loaded round. Barrel length has huge effects on velocity and therefore bullet expansion. In longer barreled pistols, like my 4" .38Spls I do load them with SJHPs at +P pressures to take advantage of the extra velocity potential and related potential expansion. It's all dependent on the carry weapon and expected environment, really.

Also, I am NOT an expert!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by r1derbike View Post
    I carry a .45 because I have too much disposable income and like to spend it on ammo...
    Epic...

/Thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

it's better than nothing but in a SD situation the loser usually is wounded or dead, think about it

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it's better than nothing but in a SD situation the loser usually is wounded or dead, think about it
    Any facts behind your speculation?

.380 was the self defense/murder weapon of choice here in Idaho awhile back. Killed the man deader than a door nail with two shots.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast