.380 ACP: is it good enough or no? - Page 6
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?

1. Quote Originally Posted by Stengun View Post
    Howdy,

I have an old AMT Backup single-action and I use a custom loaded 115gr JHP that is a +P+ loading. It will expand about .42 -.45" and will penetrate over 12" even in the super short barrel of the AMT.

I haven't carried it since I bought a Kel-Tek PF-9 9mm.

The PF-9 is slightly bigger but lighter than the stainless steel AMT, and a standard 115gr JHP is so much more powerful than a .380acp round.

Paul
    I had a PF-9 for a while. Use to carry it since it was the only carry-sized gun that I owned. Glad it never came down to a life or death situation cause that gun was completely unreliable. Tons of light primer strikes and on different kinds of ammo too. Sent it back to Kel-Tek once to get it fixed and it didn't help. Even if it did, it still wouldn't have helped all the FTE's that occurred at least once about every 10 rounds.

Aside from that though, Kel-Tek just didn't work out the ergonomics on that gun. It just absolutely hurt to shoot. About 6-7 rounds and I was ready to quit, and my hand looked like it had been run over by a car it was so red and stuff.

I've often said that GZ's defense should have taken the jury out to the range and let them shoot the gun, then they would understand that GZ must have truly believed he was in imminent danger, because a life or death situation is the ONLY reason in which I'd want to shoot another PF9.

I traded my for a .40S&W Walther PPS and its the best trade I've ever made. Aside from Walther's great quality, their ergonomics on about all their guns are just amazing. It fits in my hand like a glove. It's a little bigger than the PF-9 but well worth it IMO. If you don't really care for shooting your PF-9, and you just have it cause its a convenient carry gun, I'd definitely recommend the PPS in 9mm if you didn't want to change calibers. And I think the 9mm holds 1 extra round over the .40.

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    it's better than nothing but in a SD situation the loser usually is wounded or dead, think about it
    I don't get this post...in a sd situation where the caliber is not a .380 the loser is also usually wounded or dead...
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Is 9mm enough? Here is side by side 9mm and .380
    .380 ACP: is it good enough or no?-img_4750.jpg.380 ACP: is it good enough or no?-img_4754.jpg

9mm slightly longer, can have more powder thus more velocity and heavier projectile. It will have deeper penetration etc.
    The question is actually similar to the nuclear arms talks. How many times do you need to kill someone before they are dead? Is one corpse deader than the other?
    The facts that matter to me - I have a 9mm and a .380 made by the same manufacturer. The 9mm holds 7+1, the .380 is 6+1. The 9mm weighs 18oz unloaded, the .380 about 9oz. I can put rounds center mass with both with reliability. If I have either I consider myself armed, and any potential BG in jeopardy.

5. Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    The question is actually similar to the nuclear arms talks. How many times do you need to kill someone before they are dead? Is one corpse deader than the other?
    I think you may be confused. That was a conversation on Seinfeld, not anything to do with nuclear arms. See here:

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I don't get this post...in a sd situation where the caliber is not a .380 the loser is also usually wounded or dead...
    I think you missed the context of the posting, the person using the .380 would be the loser coming up on the short side of things

Awesome! Seinfeld is OK with me most of the time.
    Yeah, with nuclear arms, it's more about how Russia could completely destroy earth 10 times, so we need to be able to completely destroy earth eleven times. Same logic.
    Chief

Quote Originally Posted by whodat2710 View Post
    Is 9mm enough?
    The facts that matter to me - I have a 9mm and a .380 made by the same manufacturer. The 9mm holds 7+1, the .380 is 6+1. The 9mm weighs 18oz unloaded, the .380 about 9oz. I can put rounds center mass with both with reliability. If I have either I consider myself armed, and any potential BG in jeopardy.
    I glad that you are such a fan boy of the .380, I hope you never have to actually have to use any weapon in anger or fear. as for how many times you need to shoot someone? it isn't until they are dead, it is until they are no longer a threat or have an ability to harm you and with your .380 you will not have the stopping power found in other weapons
    your view of the .380 has very little support from any experts and almost no law enforcement agency in the US. but you can continue with your self serving delusions, me I'll stick to 40's and 45's to defend my life

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    I think you missed the context of the posting, the person using the .380 would be the loser coming up on the short side of things
    O I see... .380 is for losers. 9mm is for sissies, .40 is for insecure people, and .45 is for people with little johnnies. I use a 500 SW because I'm a man, everyone comes up short, remember usually sd incidences with the 500 SW take one shot 100% of the time.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    O I see... .380 is for losers. 9mm is for sissies, .40 is for insecure people, and .45 is for people with little johnnies. I use a 500 SW because I'm a man, everyone comes up short, remember usually sd incidences with the 500 SW take one shot 100% of the time.
    that can stand all on it's own

11. Quote Originally Posted by Pir8fan View Post
    The .380 was good enough for George Zimmerman.
    All I'm going to say to that is...research a little further before posting. I'll give you a hint: he used a Kel Tec PF-9. Look up the caliber of that gun (that is if the "9" in "PF-9" doesn't give it away).

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast